2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Escape Hybrid, Titanium which I purchased just when Covid was really starting, got a great deal(just before things went wild) and have 6 years 0% financing. I get really good gas mileage and only have 13k miles on it(since now most of my driving is local). I was thinking of trading up to the PHEV but they are selling at or close to MSRP, they only give 0% for 3 yrs and I'll likely get back some money if I trade mine in , but will be paying more. Even with the tax credit I'm not sure it makes any sense. Looking for some other peoples thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,
Mustangbon

· Registered
2022 Escape PHEV
135 Posts
It depends on your priorities. If your objective is to save money, then it comes down to what you have to pay to get in a new 22 PHEV and what you would save on fuel. For now PHEV will qualify for the old credit amount of $6843, I think.

I traded 2021 Prius Prime for a new 2022 Escape PHEV in Nov. After the tax credit, I would end up paying $1k out of my pocket for this trade. I won't be saving money now or in the future for the fuel cost, but I got a larger car we needed and will use less gasoline overall if my calculations are correct.

· Registered
22 PHEV titanium
45 Posts
I have a 2020 Escape Hybrid, Titanium which I purchased just when Covid was really starting, got a great deal(just before things went wild) and have 6 years 0% financing. I get really good gas mileage and only have 13k miles on it(since now most of my driving is local). I was thinking of trading up to the PHEV but they are selling at or close to MSRP, they only give 0% for 3 yrs and I'll likely get back some money if I trade mine in , but will be paying more. Even with the tax credit I'm not sure it makes any sense. Looking for some other peoples thoughts on the subject.

Thanks,
Mustangbon
You have to find a PHEV on the lot before March to be sure of getting the tax credit. If you have to pay a big chunk over MSRP there's no sense.

I don't think the 2022 has any features that the 2020 lacks. I think you'll find things the other way around: no hotspot, no kick-open gate, no engine cover...

Normally, driving new every two is a good way to pay the most expensive years of depreciation on the cars you own. (That might not be the case right now, depending on your market. Some cars have been trading for more than they were worth new a few years ago. I think we might be at the tail end of that, though.)

I don't think you'd get enough "new" for your money if you traded up now. If you're only driving 4,000 miles a year I don't think you'll see gas savings to offset the increased purchase price over the life of the vehicle.

This isn't justified just on a financial basis. Only way this is worthwhile is if you think the increased vehicle cost is worth paying for the fun of driving a new toy.

· Registered
7 Posts
I don't think that's worth it. I don't know exactly what you would gain going from a 2020 to 2022, but I don't think it's much.

You'll end up spending at least $10k-$15k for the ability to travel some distance in full EV mode. That's not worth it IMO.

Maybe consider putting in a refundable order for a 2023 Escape instead. You'll actually feel some improvements with the larger Sync4 infotainment, 360 camera, and different interior styling. Then if the 2023 qualify for tax rebate, you can consider trading in the 2020 for it.

· Registered
2021 Sport Hybrid FWD SE
210 Posts
I'd keep it because of your 0%. I have a hybrid and avg 56mpg. The phev gets 50miles on a charge if your lucky. That's one gallon of gas. How much are you really saving? With the phev the financing is different so it'll likely be higher. Now, if you just want one, look into a 2023 which is different looks interior and exterior... I don't think it's saving money though. If you currently had a gas model then yeah....

· Registered
22 PHEV titanium
45 Posts
I would love to upgrade to a Lincoln Corsair PHEV, but the cost looks to be ridiculous.
I'd love the AWD from the Lincoln, and the silly little button in the trunk that automatically drops the back seats. (Honda and Subaru both had something similar in mid-trim cars.). And the rear seat heaters.

Lincoln didn't seem to have many good colors. One red and a bunch of variations on grey.

The grille on the 23 Corsair is awful, and I think it'll look very dated before long.

It does feel like the highest-trim Escape would be a better car if the Lincoln didn't exist. They wouldn't have to hold some of these features back to differentiate them.

· Registered
111 Posts
Doesn’t matter if they’re twice as good if you can even order one. Two Toyota dealers in our town wouldn’t even take an order for a PHEV Rav4 from us. They both said even if they did it would be years to get it.
Well, same deal with Ford rn. It's all about being patient. Also, they never said anything about ordering. If you already have a '20 hybrid and looking at the same exact vehicle, there is no reason you couldn't apply a little patience for something better for the same-ish price.

· Registered
153 Posts
Well, same deal with Ford rn. It's all about being patient. Also, they never said anything about ordering. If you already have a '20 hybrid and looking at the same exact vehicle, there is no reason you couldn't apply a little patience for something better for the same-ish price.
There are about 400 unsold 2022 Escape PHEV’s sitting on dealer lots currently in the US. So I’m guessing the OP was talking about trading up for one of those seeing they are offering 0% for 36 months now on those. There are 3 2022 Toyota Rav4 PHEV’S possibly available.

· Registered
111 Posts
There are about 400 unsold 2022 Escape PHEV’s sitting on dealer lots currently in the US. So I’m guessing the OP was talking about trading up for one of those seeing they are offering 0% for 36 months now on those. There are 3 2022 Toyota Rav4 PHEV’S possibly available.
Probably why the offer exists. They know where they stand and it's a "fire sale".

· Registered
6 Posts

Thanks,
Mustangbon
As an avid fan of Ford cars, I can understand the appeal of wanting to upgrade to the newest model of the Ford Escape. The 2022 Ford Escape PHEV is an exciting new option with many new features and improvements over the previous model.
The 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid is a great car and it has been well received by many Ford fans, but Escape PHEV offers several new features and improvements, such as a more powerful hybrid powertrain, a larger battery, and an all-electric driving range. Additionally, PHEV also has a more refined exterior design, updated infotainment technology, and improved safety features.
Moving from Hybrid to a 2022 PHEV is not crazy, it's a natural progression for Ford enthusiasts. It's an excellent opportunity to experience the latest Ford technologies and innovations. If I had enough money I would get PHEV myself now :)
UPD: at the moment I am picking a Mustang at Repairable, Salvage and Wrecked Ford Mustang Car Auctions | A Better Bid® The prices their are a real find for me. Say, some 2013 Mustang with light damage one can get for $3250 which is great!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really appreciate everyone's input. One "honest" salesman who looked at my numbers from the dealership I originally bought from said he agreed that keeping mine was much better financially. There aren't many PHEV's available in the area but I sort of mind losing the hands-free liftgate, so for now I'm going to sit tight. The honest salesman did give me a really good price on the car, though the dealership always throws way too many additional charges initially (which I got thrown off when I bought mine). I told him if at some point if the car doesn't sell and they really want to get it off their lot bring me an offer I can't refuse!!

Thanks again, it's great to hear other Escapee's opinions!!

· Registered
111 Posts
I really appreciate everyone's input. One "honest" salesman who looked at my numbers from the dealership I originally bought from said he agreed that keeping mine was much better financially. There aren't many PHEV's available in the area but I sort of mind losing the hands-free liftgate, so for now I'm going to sit tight. The honest salesman did give me a really good price on the car, though the dealership always throws way too many additional charges initially (which I got thrown off when I bought mine). I told him if at some point if the car doesn't sell and they really want to get it off their lot bring me an offer I can't refuse!!

Thanks again, it's great to hear other Escapee's opinions!!
It's kind of sad that's the only time most places offer rebates anymore. At this point, people are happy to just pay MSRP. Wait a little bit, like 9 months to a year, then search again.

· Registered
14 Posts
Doesn't matter what you 'want' they aren't available. I ordered a '22 escape PHEV last may and never got it. They just aren't available. Same goes with a Toyota prime PHEV. They just can't make them fast enough.

· Registered
2 Posts

Thanks,
Mustangbon
I got the same deal on 2020 Escape Titanium with 6yr zero interest . Now trying to get my salesman to get me in to a plug in , 2022 but caa was not find any .

· Registered
153 Posts
Doesn't matter what you 'want' they aren't available. I ordered a '22 escape PHEV last may and never got it. They just aren't available. Same goes with a Toyota prime PHEV. They just can't make them fast enough.
It’s not that they can’t make them fast enough. It’s because they can only build so many a year and have way too many orders for them. Add in parts shortages and it’s a huge mess. You can still find 2022 Escape PHEV’s on dealer lots ( around 400 when I last checked).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts