2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m working on my daughters 2013 escape 1.6L with a bit over 110,000 miles. I changed the timing belt, replaced a leaky valve cover, spark plugs and serpentine belt. I was able to obtain the service manual from the dealership on the timing belt replacement. After reassembling the engine I can’t get it to fire. Initially I had a P00C6 low fuel pressure code but I think that was from priming the engine initially. I cleared the code and so far it hasn’t come back.
For changing the valve cover gasket, I did have the fuel rail, HPFP housing, the housing in front of the vacuum pump all off.
I hooked up an injector test light (noid light) to the wiring harness and got nothing showing a signal being sent to the injectors to fire them,
I did a compression check to make sure I didn’t have a timing issue but each cylinder is running 150-180 PSI.
I checked all the coil packs and each are firing as the engine is being cranked.
When running my scan tool, the fuel pressure is showing a bit above 1600 PSI.
I’m hoping I’ve missed a connector somewhere but I’ve been over th engine compartment s vernal times and haven’t found anything obvious.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have you figured this out? Could be a sensor not giving the PCM the info needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm also wondering if you figured it out. I have a similar issue, changed the leaking valve cover gasket and replaced plugs. It all went back together nicely. Started and ran nicely in driveway for about 5 minutes, then odd noise and it died. Not it turns over, but doesn't fire at all. From the sound of it, I'm wondering if my timing belt just went (it seems too "smooth" while cranking). I'm not quite sure what to check next.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Following up on my post from a month ago, my issue (engine died after 5 min post-valve cover gasket change) was a seized vacuum pump shaft. Vacuum pump is driven off the end of the intake cam shaft. Oil is supplied through a port at the bottom. Apparently there's a blockage in that oil supply port because a second vacuum pump seized as well.

When the pump locks up, at least in my case, it broke the cam shaft VCT sprocket bolt. It didn't break the timing belt, it was still turning with the crankshaft and exhaust cam, but the intake cam wasn't rotating (the intake VCT sprocket was turning freely with the timing belt).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh, and after replacing the intake VCT sprocket bolt, I replaced the timing belt and set the timing without any of the recommended tools. It wasn't really too difficult, but I couldn't figure out what feature on the crankshaft pulley the crankshaft position sensor was supposed to trigger on. So I put it all back together anyway and of course, no start. But at least we had good compression now. That night (via YouTube) I finally learned there is a hole on the back-side of the crankshaft pulley that has to line up with the Crank Position Sensor at TDC. So I removed the pulley, put a mark on the front of the pulley corresponding to that feature on the back and re-installed. Car started right up.

Unfortunately, a few minutes later is when the second vacuum pump seized up. Now I need some miracle way to clean all the oil passages inside the engine...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts