2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07/31/18

2018 SE AWD with Sports Package, Ruby Red

Today I installed a rear spoiler from "Spoiler and Wing King". The spoiler arrived today from Amazon undamaged and complete with all the tape and hardware. The instructions look like they have been copied a 100 times and hard to read. I had seen a Youtube video showing how to install this without drilling and using the two mounting screws.

I did not use the thin mounting tape that came in the kit. I ordered the 1/2" wide 3M mounting tape and 3M adhesion promoter along with 100% silicone adhesive.

The install was fast and painless. The paint on the spoiler matches the body and had no orange peel or blemishes. It fit the shape of the tailgate and did not have any warpage. It is very well made.

This spoiler looks better then the one offered by Ford in my opinion. It is a one piece design rather then two for the Ford.

Happy Trails ?

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey I ordered and already received a spoiler from the same place, mine is UG, paint looks fantastic. My question is about the tape. Do you apply the tape all the way out to the edge of the spoiler? There is a small raised lip around the edge on the underside. Thanks for your answer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the late reply.
I installed the 1/2" wide 3M tape just short of the edge. Maybe less then a 1/8" but no more then a 1/16" from the edge all the way around. I did not want any showing after pressing it on. It covered the lip you asked about. I made sure that all the edges of the cut tape where sealed so that water would not leak in and under the spoiler. Also I used more silicone than they did in the video.

Here is a link to the YouTube video of the install.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Looks great! Brings tears to my eyes big as donkey doodles!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had a ton of thumbs up on the look of the Escape. A lot of people have said they like the Ruby Red paint with the black sports package and added stripes. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for reply. I pretty much installed the tape same way, backed off the edge a hair. Used 7/8" across the leading edge, 1/2" elsewhere, no glue. It's on there solid. Can't vouch for any waterproofness though, shouldn't be an issue. Already got a couple of positive reviews from other Escape owners. Does look sharp, the paint is beautiful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks great. Think I'll do the same with my 2015 FE/SE Magnetic.

My daughter has a silver 2017 SE and has asked that I install a spoiler on her Escape :eek:
I gave her the information what to order from Amazon and am just waiting for her to order the parts. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
07/31/18

Today I installed a rear spoiler from "Spoiler and Wing King". The spoiler arrived today from Amazon undamaged and complete with all the tape and hardware. The instructions look like they have been copied a 100 times and hard to read. I had seen a Youtube video showing how to install this without drilling and using the two mounting screws.

I did not use the thin mounting tape that came in the kit. I ordered the 1/2" wide 3M mounting tape and 3M adhesion promoter along with 100% silicone adhesive.

The install was fast and painless. The paint on the spoiler matches the body and had no orange peel or blemishes. It fit the shape of the tailgate and did not have any warpage. It is very well made.

This spoiler looks better then the one offered by Ford in my opinion. It is a one piece design rather then two for the Ford.

Happy Trails
07/31/18

Happy Trails ?
Can you please tell me what 3M adhesion promoter and 100% silicone adhesive you used. THx!
I have this product for install Product Tire Material property Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used 3M Adhesion Promoter #4298 that I purchased at Amazon. You may also fine this at a auto body supply store. The silicone was Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant that can be purchased at Walmart.
In the two years since installing the spoiler I have not had any problems with the way I attached it to the Escape. The only issue in the future could be the way you need to remove the third brake light for replacement? But that may never need to be done

Happy Trails 🥃

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had a ton of thumbs up on the look of the Escape. A lot of people have said they like the Ruby Red paint with the black sports package and added stripes. :D
The ruby red and the black are the only colors O like with the black sports package. I usually don’t like stripes on the side of vehicles. But it works on yours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts