2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,964 Posts
I have not heard of a coolant intrusion issue with them.
There was at least one 2017-2019 2.0l EcoBoost with a rebuild/ replacement on the Australian Ford Forums. It was posted a while back.

Reactions: wiz043

· Super Moderator
3,964 Posts
Also, as mentioned earlier, for some reason the vast majority of failed 2L engines have come from the Cleveland plant rather than the Valencia plant which supplied these cars to Europe and Australia etc.
Reported on here? That makes sense given the extremely small number of members on here from the countries supplied by the Valencia plant. (Parts of UK/ Europe, South Africa, NZ, Australia ?) The UK and Europe also seem to favour the diesel engine options and don't even get the 2.0l EcoBoost engine. I think most do get the 1.5l EcoBoost. There are over 38k members on here with most being from North America.

Reactions: Gryffindor101

· Super Moderator
3,964 Posts
I am merely endeavouring to point out that regardless of views here according to reports on other sites engineers say that the Valencia plant engines of that era were more reliable as far as coolant intrusion is concerned. I have no idea why because as I said they all use the same block to my knowledge.
IIRC that was on a Youtube channel by posted by a US based mechanic- not an engineer. "More reliable" would also be a loose term given there's quite likely far greater numbers of US the assembled engines sold and that's likely what the person would mostly deal with.

· Super Moderator
3,964 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,964 Posts
Neither of those were the videos I was referring to. The video I tried to post earlier actually was from an engineer but Moderators will not allow me to post it due to contrary advertising content or whatever but it can be googled.

Refer post #3
Scotty Kilmer isn't an engineer- this is from his Youtube channel:

Description I've been a mechanic for 54 years and I'm here to share my knowledge with you! New car stuff every day. The most watched car channel in America. Never any sponsored content, just the truth!
The MACTFORDEdge video you tried to post (post #3 in the linked thread) is likely the one I posted above. That's by the same person.

This is his Youtube channel description:

Description This is a Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX and Nautilus maintenance and repair channel dedicated to the upkeep on the Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX and Nautilus. My previous Ford Edge SE (Orange Crush) clocked over 286,000 miles prior to my trading it in and the engine and transmission were running great. I currently have two 2011 Ford Edge Limited's (one blue and one cinnamon). I also collect video from my drives across Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, South Dakota and Wisconsin not excluding other states as I travel in the 2011 Ford Edge. My repair videos are a joint effort with MercyGirl and her assistance is always appreciated. If you like my videos please hit that LIKE button and of course subscribe to my channel. Encouragement is always appreciated. Have fun as we drive the Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX and Nautilus. Discover the great attributes of the Edge, MKX, Nautilus and of course make the repairs that are needed.
Doesn't seem to even be a qualified mechanic? The wording in that video is also more he's suggesting a theory they may be more reliable.

· Super Moderator
3,964 Posts
Spoke to someone who works at the care home where my wife is and he told me his Escape 2018 engine blew up lately at 97,000 km (close to 60k miles). He bought it used a few years back and he took a 100,000 km full warranty. The 1.6 liter engine blew up at 97,000 km. Ford replaced the engine. They told him they installed a 2022 engine. He doubts that a little but the engine definitely looks shiny and new.
A 2018 would be the 1.5l EcoBoost (or perhaps the 2.0l EcoBoost?) The 1.6l EcoBoost was dropped partway through the 2013-2016 model life.

I've heard "second hand" news that a relative here in Australia bought a used Escape (apparently with a fair few km) on it and it suffered a major failure two weeks ago. It would be a 2017-2019 from what I can work out as from around 2011 to 2016 they were called Kugas. I'm not sure what exactly failed, but it was towed and is awaiting parts. Something about horrendous noises if/ when the engine would start. Luckily that is apparently covered under some sort of warranty too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts