2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0
121 Posts
I've read one incident here of the Valencia engine and one somewhere else. Also most board members are from America so their experiences are shared more than other countries.

· Registered
2,762 Posts
I've read one incident here of the Valencia engine and one somewhere else. Also most board members are from America so their experiences are shared more than other countries.
And that is exactly what I said in my last comment and almost all Escape engines from 2017 to 2019 in the US would be made at the Cleveland factory obviously

· Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,914 Posts
I am merely endeavouring to point out that regardless of views here according to reports on other sites engineers say that the Valencia plant engines of that era were more reliable as far as coolant intrusion is concerned. I have no idea why because as I said they all use the same block to my knowledge.
IIRC that was on a Youtube channel by posted by a US based mechanic- not an engineer. "More reliable" would also be a loose term given there's quite likely far greater numbers of US the assembled engines sold and that's likely what the person would mostly deal with.

· Super Moderator
3,914 Posts

· Registered
2,762 Posts
Neither of those were the videos I was referring to. The video I tried to post earlier actually was from an engineer but Moderators will not allow me to post it due to contrary advertising content or whatever but it can be googled.

Refer post #3

· Registered
8 Posts
If the Valencia manufactured engines were different/stronger/better, then I must have had the only dud engine manufactured in Valencia, lasted all of 26 500km before coolant intrusion due to the absolute lousy design. A real pity, as the Kuga is, for me, a great vehicle, (we are on our third one) and our last because Ford did not bring version 4 into South Africa. This was as a result of the engine fires in the 1.6 models due to coolant loss and subsequent engine damage and hot oil spraying over the engine. The Kuga was the top selling SUV in SA before the engine problems, and the demand died overnight once the fires started. Our models are pretty much the same as the Australian and NZ models, with the same problems, I should imagine.

· Registered
2,762 Posts
If the Valencia manufactured engines were different/stronger/better, then I must have had the only dud engine manufactured in Valencia, lasted all of 26 500km before coolant intrusion due to the absolute lousy design. A real pity, as the Kuga is, for me, a great vehicle, (we are on our third one) and our last because Ford did not bring version 4 into South Africa. This was as a result of the engine fires in the 1.6 models due to coolant loss and subsequent engine damage and hot oil spraying over the engine. The Kuga was the top selling SUV in SA before the engine problems, and the demand died overnight once the fires started. Our models are pretty much the same as the Australian and NZ models, with the same problems, I should imagine.
Sorry to hear that and yes, Australia did get the Valencia built Escapes and I have heard of at least one engine failure here due to coolant intrusion.
There may be more but the vast majority have not failed including mine and approx. 13,000 Escapes were sold in Australia from 2017 to 2019. Some would have been diesels but the majority were Ecoboost petrol models.

· Super Moderator
3,914 Posts
Neither of those were the videos I was referring to. The video I tried to post earlier actually was from an engineer but Moderators will not allow me to post it due to contrary advertising content or whatever but it can be googled.

Refer post #3
Scotty Kilmer isn't an engineer- this is from his Youtube channel:

Description I've been a mechanic for 54 years and I'm here to share my knowledge with you! New car stuff every day. The most watched car channel in America. Never any sponsored content, just the truth!
The MACTFORDEdge video you tried to post (post #3 in the linked thread) is likely the one I posted above. That's by the same person.

This is his Youtube channel description:

Description This is a Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX and Nautilus maintenance and repair channel dedicated to the upkeep on the Ford Edge/Lincoln MKX and Nautilus. My previous Ford Edge SE (Orange Crush) clocked over 286,000 miles prior to my trading it in and the engine and transmission were running great. I currently have two 2011 Ford Edge Limited's (one blue and one cinnamon). I also collect video from my drives across Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana, South Dakota and Wisconsin not excluding other states as I travel in the 2011 Ford Edge. My repair videos are a joint effort with MercyGirl and her assistance is always appreciated. If you like my videos please hit that LIKE button and of course subscribe to my channel. Encouragement is always appreciated. Have fun as we drive the Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX and Nautilus. Discover the great attributes of the Edge, MKX, Nautilus and of course make the repairs that are needed.
Doesn't seem to even be a qualified mechanic? The wording in that video is also more he's suggesting a theory they may be more reliable.

· Registered
2,762 Posts
Scotty Kilmer isn't an engineer- this is from his Youtube channel:

The MACTFORDEdge video you tried to post (post #3 in the linked thread) is likely the one I posted above. That's by the same person.

This is his Youtube channel description:

Doesn't seem to even be a qualified mechanic? The wording in that video is also more he's suggesting a theory they may be more reliable.
I never said Scotty Kilmer was an engineer, no idea where you got that from and I am well aware that he is a mechanic with a YouTube channel.
Also the video I was trying to post was not the one you are describing and the guy involved in the particular video I referred to was an engineer according to the accompanying transcript. As I said previously my video was not allowed by the forum due to the reasons stated above but your video was, so obviously they are different videos.
For god's sake, all I am saying is that according to reports (not here) the Ecoboost engines in the 2017 to 2019 era made in Valencia seemed to be more reliable regarding coolant intrusion issues than those made by the Cleveland factory for whatever reason.
I am not saying the reports are factual, only that they seem to be consistent.
I understand that the percentage of engines coming out of the Valencia plant would be much lower than the Cleveland ones overall due to the much higher sales of the Escape and other vehicles with Ecoboost engines in the US at that time so it is hard to put a figure on comparitive failures.
Like most others here I am just relying on (hopefully) reliable research and not just views of mechanics.
If you don't agree with me or my research that's fine, we all are entitled to our own views.
Please just allow me to have a view like everyone else here without deliberately contradicting much of what I say for some reason, not only on this post but on some of my previous posts.
Strangely enough I have never had contradictions or complaints from other moderators, administrators or posters here. I am not deliberately giving out false or misleading information so I am at a loss to know what your problem is with me.
I am not an engineer but I have been around a long time and a car owner/driver for over 60 years like some others here and I am not one to make wild statements without some sort of reliable research.
I have made over 2,700 posts here in the last 4 years to voice a view and in many cases to hopefully help others or be helped by them. Over the years I have had many public and private messages here thanking me for help, particularly with sync3 issues and I have reciprocated in kind to those who have helped me.
I enjoy this forum and the info and views expressed and I never rubbish anyone's opinions here but at my age I could certainly do without this hassle and I resent the inference from you that I am continually wrong in many posts.
I am on quite a few other forums and have never had issues with my posts and replies etc.
However if you, as a moderator, or any other posters here are not happy with my contribution, please let me know and I will leave the forum.

· Registered
9 Posts
Yes, exactly what happened to mine, with only 26500km on, a 2019 2.0 AWD auto. New long block fitted under warranty by Ford, fortunately.
Yes, exactly what happened to mine, with only 26500km on, a 2019 2.0 AWD auto. New long block fitted under warranty by Ford, fortunately.
I guess the 1.6 is the same. Only because you never mentioned the 2013s and the 1.6.

· Registered
57 Posts
See, this information is really interesting. I have a 17 2.0 that has 15,000 miles of warranty left before it hits 100,000. We easily put twenty thousand miles a year on a vehicle. So, I’m going to have to make a decision on keeping it and rolling the dice, or trading it in.

· Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0
121 Posts
See, this information is really interesting. I have a 17 2.0 that has 15,000 miles of warranty left before it hits 100,000. We easily put twenty thousand miles a year on a vehicle. So, I’m going to have to make a decision on keeping it and rolling the dice, or trading it in.
If you like the way the car drives then roll the dice. Engine replacement in the worst case scenario is 6 to 8k plus you never know, it could be lower if you get any goodwill towards labor. Much cheaper than a new car payment.

· Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
292 Posts
Think I’m going to start a new thread on their transmissions… Could be interesting…
Why? That's been done to death also. Why make the forums more confusing by repeating another known issue?

· Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
292 Posts
I never said Scotty Kilmer was an engineer, no idea where you got that from and I am well aware that he is a mechanic with a YouTube channel.
Also the video I was trying to post was not the one you are describing and the guy involved in the particular video I referred to was an engineer according to the accompanying transcript. As I said previously my video was not allowed by the forum due to the reasons stated above but your video was, so obviously they are different videos.
For god's sake, all I am saying is that according to reports (not here) the Ecoboost engines in the 2017 to 2019 era made in Valencia seemed to be more reliable regarding coolant intrusion issues than those made by the Cleveland factory for whatever reason.
I am not saying the reports are factual, only that they seem to be consistent.
I understand that the percentage of engines coming out of the Valencia plant would be much lower than the Cleveland ones overall due to the much higher sales of the Escape and other vehicles with Ecoboost engines in the US at that time so it is hard to put a figure on comparitive failures.
Like most others here I am just relying on (hopefully) reliable research and not just views of mechanics.
If you don't agree with me or my research that's fine, we all are entitled to our own views.
Please just allow me to have a view like everyone else here without deliberately contradicting much of what I say for some reason, not only on this post but on some of my previous posts.
Strangely enough I have never had contradictions or complaints from other moderators, administrators or posters here. I am not deliberately giving out false or misleading information so I am at a loss to know what your problem is with me.
I am not an engineer but I have been around a long time and a car owner/driver for over 60 years like some others here and I am not one to make wild statements without some sort of reliable research.
I have made over 2,700 posts here in the last 4 years to voice a view and in many cases to hopefully help others or be helped by them. Over the years I have had many public and private messages here thanking me for help, particularly with sync3 issues and I have reciprocated in kind to those who have helped me.
I enjoy this forum and the info and views expressed and I never rubbish anyone's opinions here but at my age I could certainly do without this hassle and I resent the inference from you that I am continually wrong in many posts.
I am on quite a few other forums and have never had issues with my posts and replies etc.
However if you, as a moderator, or any other posters here are not happy with my contribution, please let me know and I will leave the forum.
I haven't seen anywhere in this thread where anyone said for sure that the 2017+ Valencia 2.0's engines are the same as the '17+ Cleveland design, or if they were still using the more reliable pre-'17 Cleveland design. That would explain the difference in reliability.
As far as another person speaking of the 1.6, those were known early that they were a problem child, and of different design than the older 2.0's.

Reactions: wiz043

· Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
292 Posts
That was intended as a joke… just pointing out that if you don’t have an engine problem on your Escape, you’ll have a transmission problem…
A :) would've helped. :)
And not so likely if you change the trans fluid every 30-50,000 miles.

· Registered
Escape 2014 SE AWD 2.0L turbo with lots of options
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I haven't seen anywhere in this thread where anyone said for sure that the 2017+ Valencia 2.0's engines are the same as the '17+ Cleveland design, or if they were still using the more reliable pre-'17 Cleveland design. That would explain the difference in reliability.
As far as another person speaking of the 1.6, those were known early that they were a problem child, and of different design than the older 2.0's.
Of all my research on the design issue of these engines, I did see the manufacturing plants mentioned somewhere but I didn’t see any hard evidence that one plant or another was more responsible for these defects.

As for Scotty, and if you watch several of his videos, he always pays attention where the automobile was produced/assembled and in the case of Japanese cars, he always says that the models produced/assembled in Japan are the best but again, I don’t think this is scientific. Just observations from his part.

· Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
292 Posts
Of all my research on the design issue of these engines, I did see the manufacturing plants mentioned somewhere but I didn’t see any hard evidence that one plant or another was more responsible for these defects.

As for Scotty, and if you watch several of his videos, he always pays attention where the automobile was produced/assembled and in the case of Japanese cars, he always says that the models produced/assembled in Japan are the best but again, I don’t think this is scientific. Just observations from his part.
I used to watch his videos as soon as they came out, but he then seemed to have an attitude change and was calling things junk when he only came across one instance. I can't remember exact circumstances, getting old I guess, but that is when I lost some faith in him and stuck with brand, make, and model info of the vehicles I own. Like this one.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts