2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE AWD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m my 2020 escape, I can feel a dragging coming from the right rear brake when turning hard right (both in reverse and drive). I removed the rear tires and the the rotors seem to move freely. My thought was to do rear pads, rotors, and calipers.

my friend was a mechanic and blames the electric parking brake.

Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Several of us that went through our first set of rear brakes in 30k observed that the caliper slide pins aren't greased. Still on my second set of pads at 96k after I did the brakes and greased the caliper slide bolts.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE AWD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Several of us that went through our first set of rear brakes in 30k observed that the caliper slide pins aren't greased. Still on my second set of pads at 96k after I did the brakes and greased the caliper slide bolts.
hm. Maybe I can get away with just greasing them.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I would try that first. Easy and least expensive.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE AWD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2020 has been making a weird sound when turning in a tight radius coming out of a driveway recently. Not sure what it is.
same here. I’m going to take all my calipers off and grease the pins with some silicone spray I bought. I’ll keep you posted.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I took the tires off and spun the rotors by hand and didn’t feel any resistance or anything.
Ah, good idea checking for brake drag. I think it’s a good idea to take everything apart and check it. Re grease everything and make sure the piston moves freely.

Remember to put the EPB in maintenance mode. When you take it out of maintenance mode when you have everything back together it will reset The rear brakes and fix anything out of adjustment.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE AWD
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, as expected the pins had 0 grease on them and were actually slightly pitted. Took everything apart, greased the pins and the pad slides with silicone spray (not the best, but good for now and I can put stronger grease on when I do my pads soon) and it seems to have worked! The real test will come after a few days.
Thanks everyone!
Office supplies Cosmetics Wood Office equipment Publication

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I have both Motorcraft and CRC Silaramic Brake System Grease. I use the CRC. Good to 3,000 F according to the label.

Also sparingly on the hinge pins for my fireplace insert.

Reactions: Capitalslayer

·
Registered
2020 Escape Titanium 2.0 AWD
2 Posts
My 2020 has been making a weird sound when turning in a tight radius coming out of a driveway recently. Not sure what it is.
I have this exact same issue. It's not all the time, but when accelerating from a stop while making a sharp turn, I hear a "chattering" sound that I thought might be the rear differential engaging. I asked the dealership to look at it last time I was in for oil change but they didn't have time to get to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts