2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE Sport Hybrid AWD
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently went on a 9 hour trip, mostly interstate going around 75MPH, and I got just under 30MPG. There were three of us in the car and it was packed pretty full. Temps were around 40-50. Does this seem about right?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah sounds normal - every 100 lbs is a 2% reduction in mpg, cold weather reduces hybrid performance significantly, air drag increases exponentially with velocity, and possible head winds.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,576 Posts
That's about right on a 2.0L EB, personally on our 2014 2.0L EB we never got over 27 mpg at normal speeds (65-75mph) unless we were running premium and averaging 95 mph (then we got 33 mpg).
The 2.5L Hybrid usually gets us ~42mpg on the highway since the ICE runs as long as you're above 65 mpg.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
cold weather has a number of negative effects on fuel economy.

there is a large aerodynamic reason for reduced mpg

aerodynamic drag equation

where rho is air density. drag is proportional to density

also P = nRT/V
pressure is proportional to temperature.

air density changes by about 5% every 30F. therefore aero drag changes by 5%.
by my rule of thumb that gets 2.5% change in MPG on the hwy. which is 1mpg change on a 40mpg hwy car every 30F

also, higher density cold air means that the throttle has to open less to get the same air, thus increasing pumping losses which decreases efficiency.

finally winter gas has more butane in it, according to my friend who work in a Chevron refinery. (the cold reduces the vapor pressure of butane, thus it won't volatilize away).

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
638 Posts
We recently went on a 9 hour trip...
One-way or round trip? Folks have mentioned a lot of factors, but I haven't seen altitude. I have routes that are 30 mpg uphill, 70 mpg down. Ambient temperature is significant, but it's a warm-up issue so less a factor on long trips. Plus, you're only 30F below ideal.

There are real temperature limits for hybrid battery technology. Needless to say, the control system knows what to do.
  • batteries should not be charge if they're below 32F
  • battery output will be severely limited as temperatures fall below 0F. It's a different car at -7F.

... the ICE runs as long as you're above 65 mpg.
From my Owners' Manual, under Hybrid FAQ...
"Why does my engine never shut down above 85 mph (137 km/h)?
The engine is required to turn on above this speed to protect the transmission hardware."

The original C-Max had a 65 mph EV limit, relaxed in the first PCM recall.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE Sport Hybrid AWD
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was one way, from Omaha to around Colorado Springs. I had cruise on all the way, but I suppose due to speed I didn't see it go to electric. I figured that it was normal, but just thought I would run it by you all just in case. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,576 Posts
One-way or round trip? Folks have mentioned a lot of factors, but I haven't seen altitude. I have routes that are 30 mpg uphill, 70 mpg down. Ambient temperature is significant, but it's a warm-up issue so less a factor on long trips. Plus, you're only 30F below ideal.

There are real temperature limits for hybrid battery technology. Needless to say, the control system knows what to do.
  • batteries should not be charge if they're below 32F
  • battery output will be severely limited as temperatures fall below 0F. It's a different car at -7F.

From my Owners' Manual, under Hybrid FAQ...
"Why does my engine never shut down above 85 mph (137 km/h)?
The engine is required to turn on above this speed to protect the transmission hardware."

The original C-Max had a 65 mph EV limit, relaxed in the first PCM recall.
Fusion didn't get that lifted until the 2017 refresh which introduced a larger capacity battery.
Not surprising when you consider a base Fusion weighs right about the same as a loaded CMax and all Ford really did for the 2013-16s was pretty much drop the CMax battery and power train into a Fusion chasis (and then they had to rebate all the 2013 owners $1500 for the 47/47/47 mpg claim on the sticker).

·
Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
217 Posts
cold weather has a number of negative effects on fuel economy.

there is a large aerodynamic reason for reduced mpg

aerodynamic drag equation

where rho is air density. drag is proportional to density

also P = nRT/V
pressure is proportional to temperature.

air density changes by about 5% every 30F. therefore aero drag changes by 5%.
by my rule of thumb that gets 2.5% change in MPG on the hwy. which is 1mpg change on a 40mpg hwy car every 30F

also, higher density cold air means that the throttle has to open less to get the same air, thus increasing pumping losses which decreases efficiency.

finally winter gas has more butane in it, according to my friend who work in a Chevron refinery. (the cold reduces the vapor pressure of butane, thus it won't volatilize away).
Angle of attack to the air also. The extra weight in the back is likely causing it to be nose up, and messing with the aero.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts