2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Rust, yikes, I know. I've attached a picture of my rear brakes. This vehicle was in Michigan from about 2013-2015 where I bought it in Texas. Been in Texas ever since. I never noticed this, or maybe got worse recently, but it looks pretty rusty. I had the brakes (just the pads?) replaced in 2016. I don't know a ton about cars, but since it was in Michigan where they might salt the roads I am a little worried. The front brakes look fine.

Any suggestions? I'm obviously open to replacing any bad parts if necessary, or cleaning them up on my own. There is no squeaking or other related issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Rust on brake calipers is largely irrelevant. They are made from thick cast iron and a little surface rust like that doesn't harm anything.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
From the photo this looks more like red dust from a dust storm or dusty road. It is also on the outside of the rim and especially on the rim inside barrel.
Try hosing it or agitating it with soapy water and stiff brush to see if any of it comes off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new, but I can confirm that yes, Michigan most definitely salts the roads. Rust is ubiquitous here. As mentioned above, what your photo shows looks more like red dust to me, but if not, it is probably surface rust that is harmless (at least by local standards).

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the photo this looks more like red dust from a dust storm or dusty road. It is also on the outside of the rim and especially on the rim inside barrel.
Try hosing it or agitating it with soapy water and stiff brush to see if any of it comes off.
I'll give that a shot. I guess we did have that Sahara dust come through Texas so it could have gotten picked up then? I'll try giving them a scrub

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update - I guess it was that Sahara dust. Went out to investigate again and they were like new!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts