2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Escape 2014 SE 2.0L turbo with Intelligent 4WD
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good idea, will try that thanks. Also ordered some extra long window visors that look by the photo to go all the way to the point ahead of the mirror. Made by Weathertech. The good AVS ones only go to the start of the mirror mount. I'm still pissed to have to deal with this. Driving since 17 and now retired from commercial driving, have never seen such an issue. The mirror mount difference and now different aftermarket visors tells me that this is a known issue with these Escapes. Maybe I can get the dealer to pay for them, cheaper than a recall...wish me luck.
My Escape 2014 left wiper is sometimes jerky as if the wiper was sticking to the window, Tried many brands without fixing the issue. I use RainX.

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hello. I have an issue with my front wipers on my Escape 2014. The driver side wiper is pretty jerky like if it’s sticking too much to the windshield. The left wiper has a tendency to bend a bit, especially on the lower side of the fastener/attach. I even see the attach bending a bit when the wiper is running.

I have used Motorcraft so far but I’m having this issue unless I use lots of Rain-X. Unfortunately, it doesn’t last long, now especially that winter is coming with lots of salt, snow and even sand. It requires lots of windshield washer fluid here. When it’s very cold outside, the wipers, despite being new, are making an awful noise on the windshield, like rattling (screeching noise) on the windshield.

Think I’m going to buy some new ones tomorrow as I’m tired of the Motorcraft ones. At this point, I am going to get some winter ones.

Any suggestions? Canadian Tire has Bosch and Reflex. Walmart has Rain-X. Otherwise I’ll have to go through Amazon.

· Registered
20 Posts
Some wipers are designed specifically for the diver's side and the passenger's side.
I had the same problem (jerky driver's side wiper), and switched wiper brands and the problem went away. Perhaps the way the rubber is angled on the glass makes a difference?

· Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,926 Posts
There is a difference between the factory CJ5Z17528C/CJ5Z17528B and the one size fits all blades (even the Motorcraft Premium Flat).
The end plastic foil at the top of the blade is angled differently so that the water is thrown off and out via the top corner of the A pillar.

· Registered
136 Posts
Even the Tricos I use are some time listed as both fronts. When in fact there are 2 part#s a driver and passenger. 25-280, 25-281 The wipers have an "air foil" to help the wind push the blades against the windshield. If you reverse them the wind actually lifts the blade and it "jumps" across the windshield.

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting comments. Yesterday I bought some Bosch wipers but they only have one part number. We’re due for rain later today and I will soon find out. I used the Motorcraft ones already and remember that both wipers were different (they don’t fit if you try to install on the wrong side) but they didn’t fix the issue.

Then I used some more generic ones bought at Canadian Tire without more luck. Now I’m trying the Bosch ones. I have quite an inventory at home!!!

Also, the clerk at the auto parts store told me that he once read that Rain-x residue could be causing that. I did some research on that and although I didn’t find a definitive answer, the way to remove the residue is to mix vinegar with water and clean the windshield. This should remove the residue.

Also, it seems that 28 inches wipers are the longest you can find on the market and the ones I removed were definitely not very sturdy when we compared them with the Bosch ones. I almost wanted to install some smaller ones but the clerk told me that one inch would not really make a difference.

I’ll clean the windshield and test those all seasons wipers and report my findings.

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, so here’s the first update.

The new Bosch wipers seem to be performing well. I also cleaned the windshield with the vinegar mix mentioned earlier. I used then in light rain condition, which was the worse for me, and everything went well.

Looking in my garage, I found all the wipers I tried so far. I have 3 Motorcraft wipers so I assume one broke at some point some years back. These wipers indeed have a reversed wind deflector on each side. Obviously, if I have two sets (with one wiper missing), I had them replaced at some point. I remember mentioning the rattling problem to the local repair guy last spring 2022.

Then I went to Canadian Tire and bought some “Certified” brand wipers. Seems that these wipers are very cheap (like 12 bucks CDN each). They seemed to work for a few months the the problem returned. These wipers are interchangeable, meaning no left or right side. When I removed them yesterday and compared them to the new Bosch ones, the former were very soft, easy to bend and twist.

Obviously the Motorcraft ones were not working well. As for the Bosch, they are also interchangeable, meaning not left or right specific.

Finally, I still had one box of the original Motorcraft ones and strangely, that box originally contained a 27 inches wiper with part number ending by B. Wonder why I ended up with a 27 inches one after obviously purchasing these wipers through a Ford dealer. Is it possible that Ford recommends a 27 inches one one side and a 28 inches on the other side? I didn’t phone them to ask.

S’il far so good with Bosch but winter is only beginning. No streaks, no rattling so far.

· Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,926 Posts
No, the Ford oem blades are actually both 27.5" if you measure them, they just use a a B or C to designate right or left.
Hence the reason that the aftermarkets including the Motorcraft Premiums are 28"

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, the Ford oem blades are actually both 27.5" if you measure them, they just use a a B or C to designate right or left.
Hence the reason that the aftermarkets including the Motorcraft Premiums are 28"
Then I must have ended up with a wrong part at some point. Trying to share with iCloud because I hate OneDrive on an iPad. Hope it will work or else I’ll retry.

· Registered
2014 Escape Titanium
297 Posts
I'm wondering if the wiper arm may be twisted or not. 28" is quite long and that would be a lot of force if the wiper stuck at one time for some reason.

If is was mentioned I missed it, but which direction does it skip? Going up, down or both?

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm wondering if the wiper arm may be twisted or not. 28" is quite long and that would be a lot of force if the wiper stuck at one time for some reason.

If is was mentioned I missed it, but which direction does it skip? Going up, down or both?
I was skipping going up. Since I put on Bosch wipers last week, no more noise. I also thought about a slightly bent arm but this would have had happened from factory. I actually a YouTube video showing how to twist the arm a bit to fix these kinds of problems. I have to admit that the “Certified” ones I had seemed king of cheaply made.

Canadian winters are really hard on wipers (and even wiper arms if they’re stoned frozen on the windshield).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts