Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And other things. lol

·
Registered
831 Posts
Doing it tough in Oz at the moment.
A huge area in the east of the country is on fire. Even getting help from other countries, including the US as I write this.

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
Canada has also sent a bunch of firefighters down here also. So much devastation down there. I feel for the people who have died. Not to mention all the wildlife that has been lost. This will probably change Australia forever.

·
Super Moderator
2,256 Posts
A lot of areas have been decimated and people have lost their lives and everything they own. The amount of wildlife that will have either already been killed or will die due to injuries, lack of food and being exposed to predators is going to hit hard. They're talking about already endangered species possibly being wiped out.

I'm about 15km from the fires around the Adelaide Hills. It's not the first time it's happened here and won't be the last. I visited Kangaroo Island about two years ago, I think about a third of the island has been burnt including some of the major national parks and tourist attractions. That was a beautiful part of Australia.

·
Super Moderator
5,885 Posts
A lot of areas have been decimated and people have lost their lives and everything they own. The amount of wildlife that will have either already been killed or will die due to injuries, lack of food and being exposed to predators is going to hit hard. They're talking about already endangered species possibly being wiped out.

I'm about 15km from the fires around the Adelaide Hills. It's not the first time it's happened here and won't be the last. I visited Kangaroo Island about two years ago, I think about a third of the island has been burnt including some of the major national parks and tourist attractions. That was a beautiful part of Australia.
Stay safe. I hope these fires are brought under control soon.

·
Super Moderator
2,256 Posts
They're getting on top of the ones near me. We've got another 40C day with winds forecast tomorrow so fires could flare up again. South Australia got off fairly lightly- apart from Kangaroo Island. Interstate, in Victoria and New South Wales, the Military have been evacuating people who were literally trapped on beaches with the fires closing in. They were relocating them using Navy ships. They're also using the Military in affected areas to reinstate lost infrastructure- where there's no food, water, power etc. You know things are bad when that happens.

The scary bit is some people just seemed totally unprepared. Although I'm in suburbia the area is classified as not safe if a fire breaks out. I had things packed ready to go on the worst day. Anyone who thinks they've got a hope of putting out anything bigger than a camp fire with a garden hose is in for a shock. (Some of my neighbours make me mad with their poorly maintained yards- overgrown with dead weeds. :mad:)

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doing it tough in Oz at the moment.
A huge area in the east of the country is on fire. Even getting help from other countries, including the US as I write this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts