2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape SE Sport Hybrid with Premium Package
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I test drove a hybrid a month or two ago (it was't the one I purchased.) Anyways the brakes on that model felt sticky. like as soon as a little bit of force was put onto the brake, it'd lock and brake. On my car I picked up today, it seems like more force is needed and it's not sticky. Like it takes much longer or a harder press of the brake to decelerate. Am I seeing things or is this just normal and it's me? I've rented some Ford Fusion Hybrids, but this is my first Hybrid I've owned. I know I've heard about the brakes being weird, but again, is that normal or should I get it looked at? Right now I have 88 miles on it, from the dealer to my home. I haven't driven it anymore, and was just curious about the brakes. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I’ve found the brake feel is dependent on drive mode in the hybrids. The smoothest is in Eco, for me, on both hybrids as it goes into regen when the gas is lifted so it’s already slowing down and needs less brake input. The transition from regen to actual brakes can be a little noticeable at times, but I still think it’s more noticeable on my Fusion than the Escape.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If brakes work like CMAX/FFH they are mechanical at 5 mph and below which can be grabby. If you go past the Regen threshold, mechanical will help to stop, waist of energy.

Paul

·
Registered
164 Posts
... Am I seeing things or is this just normal ...
Yes and yes! Regenerative braking is different, and the regen-to-friction transition is unique, so yes, and yes.

When braking, look at the right dash display to see how hard you're braking in kW. Regen maxes out at 35kw. Play with the brake pedal pressure to cross this 35kW transition and I bet you can't tell when the friction brakes start acting.

The 5 mph transition Paul mentions is a bit more obvious, especially if you're turning as you slow down. I've also noticed the pads are grabby when wet. Happens first thing in the AM on foggy days due to condensation.

Finally, brake feel does change with driving mode (Normal, Eco, Sport, Mud and Snow). In Eco mode, regen braking is enhanced, generating more power sooner. I can almost stop without using the brake pedal.

The question remains why you'd want regen braking. C-Max reported regen gains, and in my low-speed, daily commute, I got a 10% mileage boost due to recovered energy.

Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts