2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original battery finally started going caput on my wife's Escape. Not too bad a run considering what all the batteries have to run these days.

I removed the wipers, cowl, and water drain to get at it. It really wasn't that difficult. Two 15mm nuts holding the wipers down, a bunch of clips holding the cowl and drain together, and four 8mm bolts holding the drain in place. The hardest part was getting the clips off, and that wasn't hard at all.

From there it's just getting the battery cover off, loosening the terminals with a 10mm wrench, taking the battery strap off by removing the two 10mm nuts, then slipping the old battery out.

Clean everything up, pop the new battery in and assemble in reverse. Lots of good videos on YouTube on the how to of switching the battery out.

After everything was in, used my OBDLink and ForScan to reset the Battery Monitor. Record the maintenance in the log book. I then drove around the block to make sure everything was charging and working like it should.

I have to admit, I was dreading it after hearing people talk about it and reading about it. The job, while overly convoluted for a battery change, really wasn't all that bad. It couldn't be any worse than the air box method. Plus it gave me a chance to clean the cowl and drain up really well while they were off the vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
949 Posts
Well done...I would not even attempt it these days...arthritic fingers...:cry:

·
Registered
52 Posts
You might want to explore the ForScan monitoring capabilites in this regard. Use the RealTime trending feature on the battery data (battery age, voltage, charging, % charge, etc). Its cool stuff, especially during start sequence.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts