2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original battery finally started going caput on my wife's Escape. Not too bad a run considering what all the batteries have to run these days.

I removed the wipers, cowl, and water drain to get at it. It really wasn't that difficult. Two 15mm nuts holding the wipers down, a bunch of clips holding the cowl and drain together, and four 8mm bolts holding the drain in place. The hardest part was getting the clips off, and that wasn't hard at all.

From there it's just getting the battery cover off, loosening the terminals with a 10mm wrench, taking the battery strap off by removing the two 10mm nuts, then slipping the old battery out.

Clean everything up, pop the new battery in and assemble in reverse. Lots of good videos on YouTube on the how to of switching the battery out.

After everything was in, used my OBDLink and ForScan to reset the Battery Monitor. Record the maintenance in the log book. I then drove around the block to make sure everything was charging and working like it should.

I have to admit, I was dreading it after hearing people talk about it and reading about it. The job, while overly convoluted for a battery change, really wasn't all that bad. It couldn't be any worse than the air box method. Plus it gave me a chance to clean the cowl and drain up really well while they were off the vehicle.

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Well done...I would not even attempt it these days...arthritic fingers...:cry:

·
Registered
88 Posts
You might want to explore the ForScan monitoring capabilites in this regard. Use the RealTime trending feature on the battery data (battery age, voltage, charging, % charge, etc). Its cool stuff, especially during start sequence.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The battery change was the first chore I had to do with my 14 Escape Ecoboost. I too went to youtube for 'advice' on how to do it since the battery is tucked way under the cowl.

I ended up doing that way of taking the air cleaner box out and sliding the battery out that way. I looked at the cowl method, but didn't want to mess with it.

Since it was my first time with it, I had to learn a few things along the way, but overall dooable for a DIY job if you have some basic hand tools and know which end of a wrench to use..

Mitch

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
The battery change was the first chore I had to do with my 14 Escape Ecoboost. I too went to youtube for 'advice' on how to do it since the battery is tucked way under the cowl.

I ended up doing that way of taking the air cleaner box out and sliding the battery out that way. I looked at the cowl method, but didn't want to mess with it.

Since it was my first time with it, I had to learn a few things along the way, but overall dooable for a DIY job if you have some basic hand tools and know which end of a wrench to use..

Mitch
Well done....did you have the BMS reset?

Reactions: MitchF150

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well done....did you have the BMS reset?
I didn't do anything special for the BMS.. I just did the idle reset thing and reset the clock and other presets that was lost when the battery was disconnected per the manual.

As I understand it when you replace (or disconnect) the battery, just make sure it's charged when you connect it back up, you just need to leave it sit at rest for at least 8 hours so it has over 12.5 volts or something like that and it resets itself? I've done that on my 13 F150 and now the Escape and didn't have any issues after the battery change.

Mitch

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Yes. that is correct...after installing the new battery you let it sit for 8 hours or overnight so that it can recognize the state of charge etc. but that does not reset the BMS.
The BMS is a different animal and can be reset with Forscan or by a dealer or auto electrician with a tool plugged into the OBD port and virtually what this does is set the days in service of the battery back to zero. If this is not done the technololgy 'thinks' it is still dealing with the old battery and sends messages to the alternator etc. regarding charging the battery more agressively and other technology can also be affected although this may not be immediately apparent.
There are many videos on how the BMS can be reset but the most reliable method is by Forscan if you do not get it done by a dealer.
I recently had a new battery installed and the BMS reset and the battery dealer said it was imperative that this was done for the reasons stated above.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ahh... Okay. That makes sense now. I found this youtube vide on it. This is for a 2017, but I think that still would cover my 2014? Anyway, gonna have to try this in a bit.. :) Sounds like a similar process when resetting the oil change interval too... Except you do a sequence with the brake and gas pedals for that. (I've already had to do that).

Mitch

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Ahh... Okay. That makes sense now. I found this youtube vide on it. This is for a 2017, but I think that still would cover my 2014? Anyway, gonna have to try this in a bit.. :) Sounds like a similar process when resetting the oil change interval too... Except you do a sequence with the brake and gas pedals for that. (I've already had to do that).

Mitch

Yep...this is one so called method for resetting the BMS. There is another video method which involves pressing the rear fog light button five times and then the hazard button three times and waiting for the battery light to flash three times.
With either method you need to be holding a 14mm wrench between your teeth and blinking your right eye five times within two seconds. ;)
Seriously though, these methods supposedly work for some but not others. Neither worked in my case for my 2017 model.
Some here have stated that the only sure way for you to do it yourself is with Forscan where you can actually confirm that the battery days in service are set back to zero. Otherwise you need to get it done at a Ford dealer or battery shop in my view. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts