2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was entertaining the idea of painting my engine cover, and seek opinions. What color should I go for? The Escape itself is (as noted in my signature) the White Platinum color. My options are blue, a metallic blue, red, regular glossy white, or matching the exterior. Should I paint the airbox and battery covers too, just to be extra? Can you tell I'm bored?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I think we are all bored to an extent at the moment dealing with Covid etc. A deep blue would probably suit in my view and you may as well paint everything visible that is black including the coolant and brake fluid reservoir caps. ;)

Reactions: ozzy44

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
There was a member on here named Carson Fire that painted many Escape covers during this time here. I tried to contact him but it seems he no longer is part of of this forum. This is the job he did on my engine cover years back.

yo.jpeg

If you do this work and it turns out well let me know. I'll pay you to paint a few more things. It seemed Carson Fire made a good amount of money doing this because it seemed he did this for years on this forum before I came back.

I'm sure if you look up Carson Fire or "color engine covers" or something like that you can find a few others picture on this forum.

Reactions: ozzy44

·
Registered
2017 Red Escape Titanium 1.5L w/Sport Appearance Pkg
37 Posts
I like the idea. The prep job might be the hardest part. My engine cover, air and battery box were wiped down with some silicone compound which would prevent paint from adhering well. Unfortunately silicone contamination is hard to remove.

Also, while I like red, where I work a component that is red means discard/remove before flight.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never done it, but I imagine if I clean the surface up nicely and avoid being sloppy, it could turn out nicely! We'll see, once I get around to it!

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Here are some threads.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some threads.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Escape 1.6L Turbo SE 4WD
52 Posts
There was a member on here named Carson Fire that painted many Escape covers during this time here. I tried to contact him but it seems he no longer is part of of this forum. This is the job he did on my engine cover years back.

View attachment 78113

If you do this work and it turns out well let me know. I'll pay you to paint a few more things. It seemed Carson Fire made a good amount of money doing this because it seemed he did this for years on this forum before I came back.

I'm sure if you look up Carson Fire or "color engine covers" or something like that you can find a few others picture on this forum.
That blue REALLY pops, except I would have had him also do the air cleaner and the battery cover..

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
That blue REALLY pops, except I would have had him also do the air cleaner and the battery cover..
Yeah, I tried to contact Caron again but it doesn't seem as if he's on the forum anymore. I've been trying to find someone to do these but it's tougher then one would think.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Has anybody just used Krylon, or some of the newer spray paints for plastics? I've used Krylon before, not on the Escape, but other plastics, and had good results just washing the surface. What would be special about the paint jobs mentioned here over what would possibly be a spray can paint job?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anybody just used Krylon, or some of the newer spray paints for plastics? I've used Krylon before, not on the Escape, but other plastics, and had good results just washing the surface. What would be special about the paint jobs mentioned here over what would possibly be a spray can paint job?
Nothing terribly special. But it being under the hood would mean making sure no oil or grease is on the surface, so more thorough cleaning may be needed.

All that being said, I bought some paint, cleaned the engine cover up, and I'm gonna give it a go. They had Rustolium. I'm not wandering around aimlessly in a pandemic, since I live in a hot spot, but it says it works on plastic, so it should be okay.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,748 Posts
They had Rustolium.
What version of Rustoleum? I've used the Universal in satin black for the roof rails and used the same paint on the exhaust tips (with etch primer.) It's holding up so far on the tips even though it's not rated for above 93C. The rails I painted about 18mths ago and they still look good. It is normally garaged though. It's obviously not as tough as the factory paint so I've been careful the couple of times I've used the cross bars (universal type that clamp around the rail.)

The biggest issue I can see with the engine cover is heat and it flexing when fitted/ removed. You may find the paint cracks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought about that. I used the 2x Ultracover high gloss, as it was what they had that stated it'd bond with plastic. Since it bonds with plastic, I'd think a bit of flexing would be part of the bargain, as plastic tends to flex in many applications. We'll see. Worst that happens? I strip it down, clean it up, and start again.

Reactions: murcod

·
Registered
157 Posts
That Rust-O-Leum is one of "the other newer paints for plastic" I was referring to. Didn't know what they called it, so I didn't want to guess and give out bad info. But I have used regular Krylon on plastics, flexible and non, and it has always held up good. With these paints they usually recommend, to not sand the items.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So far, it's gone well. It's drying, and I see a couple spots I'll need to touch up. But once all that is done, and I have it back under the hood, I might take some pics. The Rustolium does seem to cover nicely, btw. I recommend thin coats and allowing dry time between, and if you're doing details, make sure it's fully dry, as in 24 hours, before adding them on top of your base coat, or you'll end up with bleed-through.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, I haven't done the touch-ups quite yet, but wanted to see how it looked. Ignore the rough edges around the white bits (I need to get more white paint). I'm also going to do the "channel" around the Ford and EcoBoost logos, and if I can find a fine brush or another way to do it, maybe the Ford logo in white.

20201123_112030.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts