2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape 1.5L FWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read a lot of y’all’s post on all terrain or snow tires and I really want to upgrade my tires to something more aggressive looking without breaking the bank. I have a 17 escape se and I was looking into upsizing from a 235/55/17 to either a 60 or 65, but I just want to be positive before I size up to a 65 that there will be no scraping on the mud flaps or wheel wells. I feel like 60 is the safer option, but if I can take the opportunity of getting 65’s with no problem I really wanna do that. I want to keep my factory wheels as well so I don’t have to pay for new ones to fit the tires. I also have a pretty heavy roof rack on top of my car that I wanna keep which is also weighing down the car, but I don’t think it’s weighing it down enough to change the height of the wells (at least to my knowledge but it is something I’m taking into account). Anyone with bigger tires with any advice please let me know! New to the forum and a proud escape owner. Love to see the discussions

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
You are no doubt aware that your speedo will be out with the different profiles you mention unless you have it recalibrated. It's probably out a bit anyway I suppose.
If the speedo is accurate and showing 70mph with the 60's your actual speed is 72.4mph and with the 65's it is 74.8 mph if that is a concern... :)

·
Registered
2015 Ford Escape Titanium
2 Posts
I had this same issue with my 2018 Escape Titanium with 19" rims: Owner's manual stated only the 17" rim/tires could accommodate low-profile cables. I live in So California, but regularly make weekend trips to the Sierras where chains can be required if the roads get icy. I ordered a set of super Z6 cables and test fit them in my garage. The circumferance cable on the inside of the wheel was within a fraction of an inch from a small hard tube going to the wheel (I think it is part of the traction control system). If the Z6s weren't installed perfectly, they would destroy that tube, with who knows what drivability consequences. So I returned the Z6s. Fortunately I found a local Dealer selling a used Escape with 17" rims, and got the service manager to agree to swap my 19" upscale alloy rims/tires with 8K miles for their 17" rims/tires with 30K miles. This was a cheaper solution than having to buy all new rims/tires. I have cable chains now, and have tried them out in the snow with no apparent clearance problems. It amazes me that Ford makes a "Sport Utility Vehicle" that won't accommodate tire chains.
I have the 2015 FE Titanium. What snow tires are you using or recommend? I have all season tires on it now and sliding/getting stuck is not fun.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
7,547 Posts
I have the 2015 FE Titanium. What snow tires are you using or recommend? I have all season tires on it now and sliding/getting stuck is not fun.
i moved your post to this thread. The thread you had posted in was for 4G Escapes (2020 and newer). There are a lot of other threads that will answer your question.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0l Ecoboost
1,324 Posts
Blizzaks work pretty well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts