2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Titanium and the keyless entery/remote start range is garbage. I had a 2013 Focus Titanium before this and the range was easily 3x bigger. Anyone know the location of it? I think it's in the headliner?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looking for the same. The car was left outside with the sunroof open during a rainstorm, and now the car cannot find the key. If I put the key next to the steering column it will start. I believe the Keyless Entry Antenna got soaked, and may be dead. A cheap part to replace, but where is it? Headliner? Anybody have an exploded view or picture?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I have a 2014 Titanium and the keyless entery/remote start range is garbage. I had a 2013 Focus Titanium before this and the range was easily 3x bigger. Anyone know the location of it? I think it's in the headliner?
Looking for the same. The car was left outside with the sunroof open during a rainstorm, and now the car cannot find the key. If I put the key next to the steering column it will start. I believe the Keyless Entry Antenna got soaked, and may be dead. A cheap part to replace, but where is it? Headliner? Anybody have an exploded view or picture?

Thanks
It would be super helpful if both of you filled out your signature. Its benefits both of us. You don't have to add your vehicle info every time you ask a question and I don't have to write this reminder every time. See mine below as an example.

if nobody answers your question I can look in my workshop DVD when I get home.

Reactions: wandering mind

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,340 Posts
On the '14 the Intelligent Access RF Receiver with internal antenna is over the driver's head approx. at the front edge of the pano-roof.

3-pin harness connector, it's on BCM fuse 5A F81.

There's also a PATS transceiver in the steering column and 3 PATS antennas (center dash, rear of the console, and in the rear cargo area). Those also required to detect an IA key in the vehicle to allow it to start:

The vehicle can experience a PATS no-start if a failure occurs with:
  • any PATS antenna
  • the battery in the passive key
  • the Radio Frequency (RF) receiver

Good Luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
On the '14 the Intelligent Access RF Receiver with internal antenna is over the driver's head approx. at the front edge of the pano-roof.

3-pin harness connector, it's on BCM fuse 5A F81.

There's also a PATS transceiver in the steering column and 3 PATS antennas (center dash, rear of the console, and in the rear cargo area). Those also required to detect an IA key in the vehicle to allow it to start:

The vehicle can experience a PATS no-start if a failure occurs with:
  • any PATS antenna
  • the battery in the passive key
  • the Radio Frequency (RF) receiver

Good Luck.
Thank You.

The Receiver Module was visible (and therefore susceptible to rain) with the Sunroof open. There was water in the headliner, so I dried with a towel, then low heat of a hairdryer. I removed the module, disassembled, air-dried, and re-assembled. All works good now.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help everyone. I have been playing around with the receiver in the headliner and it I seem to have figured out how to somewhat extend my range. I opened the receiver and attached a long wire to the antenna on the inside and ran it around the headliner. I seem to be getting a reasonable range now. I have a soldering iron ordered to attach it properly but it works for now. I'll make sure to update on how it's working out after a few days of usage.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the help everyone. I have been playing around with the receiver in the headliner and it I seem to have figured out how to somewhat extend my range. I opened the receiver and attached a long wire to the antenna on the inside and ran it around the headliner. I seem to be getting a reasonable range now. I have a soldering iron ordered to attach it properly but it works for now. I'll make sure to update on how it's working out after a few days of usage.
That is really interesting. How much does it extend the range? On mine, I haven't noticed any lack or issue with remote start range distance. I haven't tested my range thought, but for the times I turn it on remotely, it has worked everytime

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is really interesting. How much does it extend the range? On mine, I haven't noticed any lack or issue with remote start range distance. I haven't tested my range thought, but for the times I turn it on remotely, it has worked everytime
Before I added the wire I had to sometimes be so close I could touch the vehicle before it would start. Other times I could get maybe 20ft. It would take mutiple trys from the 20ft before it starts. I replaced the batteries and tried both fobs and still had the same problem.

I tested it at work, good sized parking lot with cars parked around me and it started first try from ~50ft.

The strange thing to me is I had. 2013 Focus before the Escape and I could start that thing from huge distances. They are so closely related and both had factory remote start and IA. As far as I can tell they both share the same receiver too

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
That's an old trick, but definitely a good one. Now that I know where the factory antenna is, I'm going to do it to my '13! :)

Reactions: wandering mind

·
Registered
23 Posts
Before I added the wire I had to sometimes be so close I could touch the vehicle before it would start. Other times I could get maybe 20ft. It would take mutiple trys from the 20ft before it starts. I replaced the batteries and tried both fobs and still had the same problem.

I tested it at work, good sized parking lot with cars parked around me and it started first try from ~50ft.

The strange thing to me is I had. 2013 Focus before the Escape and I could start that thing from huge distances. They are so closely related and both had factory remote start and IA. As far as I can tell they both share the same receiver too
I've never had a range issue with any of my Fords. The remote works easily from 50ft, probably more. Dying FOB batteries have a bigger impact on transmitting range.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the batteries in both of my Fobs and it didn't make a difference

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
That's an old trick, but definitely a good one. Now that I know where the factory antenna is, I'm going to do it to my '13! :)
Yeah, I'd like to try that on my '14 SE to see if it'd extend the range for often-used 'global open/close' (I usually need to be within ~5~8 ft).

Alas, not having the Pano Roof, it's a lot more effort to access mine :(

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I've never had a range issue with any of my Fords. The remote works easily from 50ft, probably more. Dying FOB batteries have a bigger impact on transmitting range.
Same with me. I'm not even sure how far mine works, but it's quite some distance. My global open/close easily works from inside my house, a good 75ft. away. Same with my factory remote start, from inside my house during the winter. I have used my fob to locate my car when exiting the mall, the car being all the way across the mall parking lot.

Maybe I'll do a line-of-sight test later.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
.... My global open/close easily works from inside my house, a good 75ft. away. ....
Wow, that's a distant (or should I say "distance", lol) dream for me !

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went ahead and soldered the wire on to the stock antenna yesterday. This has completely fixed my range issues, remote start and global windows now work from across the parking lot.

Nice and easy fix for anyone having range issues. If you have the moon roof anyway

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
In the garage at my work, I was a good 100 feet away and global/open works fine along with everything else. here is a video

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine would have never worked in that situation before hand. Especially with the other cars parked around you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dealer told me that My Radio Frequency Receiver is damaged and To replace it they need to remove the whole headline and ask $800 for it. Can you help my understand how to get to the part by myself? I have 2016 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback, and the part seems to be above the interior light. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealer told me that My Radio Frequency Receiver is damaged and To replace it they need to remove the whole headline and ask $800 for it. Can you help my understand how to get to the part by myself? I have 2016 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback, and the part seems to be above the interior light. Thanks in advance.
Hi Sean.
This receiver is a cheap piece that you can buy online. Here in Brazil the price is about usd$30,00 (used) and $80 new.
It's located at the roof, near the driver's head. You can access by the rooftop, removing the rubber frame.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts