2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a used 2013 escape platinum with 30,000 miles and have began to notice what seems like a knocking noise at slower speeds in the front end. hope someone has an explanation and a solution. thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
There is a Technical Service Bulletin out for this. I believe it is 13-05-11. It has something to do with the struts in the front end and noticed at low speeds when going over bumps. A Ford Deaership should be able to help you out with this, or one of the awesome Ford reps on this site.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
just bought a used 2013 escape platinum with 30,000 miles and have began to notice what seems like a knocking noise at slower speeds in the front end. hope someone has an explanation and a solution. thanks
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your purchase, msandy29!

I’m the Ford Customer Service Representative on this forum, and my name is Tricia. Let’s get to the bottom of this knocking noise. Please private message (PM) your VIN, full name, best daytime phone number, and dealer name. I’ll get this escalated! :D

There is a Technical Service Bulletin out for this. I believe it is 13-05-11. It has something to do with the struts in the front end and noticed at low speeds when going over bumps. A Ford Deaership should be able to help you out with this, or one of the awesome Ford reps on this site.
Hey 2014Escape,

I appreciate the mention, and enjoy the holidays! :)

Tricia

·
Registered
982 Posts

Does it sound like a Tupperware container with something in it at low speeds? Mine has had this problem. There was more than one fix for it too. The last one involving some sort of greasing. The rear shocks still have their own issues though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes that is exactly what it sounds like, took it back from where we purchased it and they are saying it is the wheel bearings but I'm not so sure. Haven't had any issue with rear shocks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
yes that is exactly what it sounds like, took it back from where we purchased it and they are saying it is the wheel bearings but I'm not so sure. Haven't had any issue with rear shocks.

You have one of the most common issues and I seriously doubt its the wheel bearings.

CRUNCHING OR CREAKING-TYPE NOISE FROM TSB 13-5-11

FRONT OF VEHICLE—LOW SPEED TURNS AND

BUMPS

CLUNK/RATTLE NOISE FROM FRONT END DURING TSB 13-9-9

PARKING MANEUVERS AND/OR OVER ROUGH

SURFACES AT LOW SPEEDS BETWEEN 8-32 KM/H

(5-20 MPH)

·
Registered
592 Posts
^ What he said. I had the fix done on my car. The dealership will replace your control arm bushings and control arm with heavier duty ones.

The interesting thing is that after having my left one fixed, the right one is starting to make that noise now too. Goodbye car for a couple days...

·
Registered
12 Posts
front end rattle

I'm experiencing the same noises. Sounds like plastic rattling from both sides of the front suspension at lower speeds. Did anyone find out the cause of this? I will be contacting the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having the same issues too! Did you find out the cause? Was it resolved?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I'm experiencing the same noises. Sounds like plastic rattling from both sides of the front suspension at lower speeds. Did anyone find out the cause of this? I will be contacting the dealer tomorrow.
Welcome to the community, beachbears! :)

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Did you make it to the dealer yet, and what’s the mileage on your Escape? I’ll be happy to look into available options to assist.

Tricia

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Tricia,
I sent a PM with my appointment day/time, however I forgot to give you my VIN #. Do you need it? Thanks again!

Kevin

·
Registered
12 Posts
front end noise solved

The noise I was experiencing was due to a strut on the front end. There was a TSB issued for this. Once the dealer had greased it properly...no more noise. Easy fix. You an Beach Ford handled it quickly and professionally.
Thanks again for you help Tricia!!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The noise I was experiencing was due to a strut on the front end. There was a TSB issued for this. Once the dealer had greased it properly...no more noise. Easy fix. You an Beach Ford handled it quickly and professionally.
Thanks again for you help Tricia!!
Great to hear it is fixed!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Possible Same Issue with 2015?

I had my 2015 Titanium into the dealer the other day for the same noise. Mine shows up at slow speeds on thickly graveled road.

They put the chassis easr on it and were pretty sure it was a bad sway bar link. They even noticed separation on the link so were pretty sure they had it. But the noise is still there.

I wonder if it could be the same strut jounce bumper issue from the 13's and 14's?

This is the second time the car's been in the shop in the two months (about 2600 miles) I've owned it. Not happy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Blood Is Begining to Boil

Well my car went in for a second time for the left front end clunk. Another tech went with me. He hears it.

The car is still at the dealership. They can't find anything that they think would be causing it. Then I talked to the Service Advisor. The first thing I'm being told is that the first Ford engineer they talked to is trying to say "it's probably normal."

Then why, when I drive my wife's 2015 Titanium with the same engine, does her's not do it???

I drove her's again last night for about 30 minutes on our gravel roads. While I can hear a "little bit" of the same type of noise, it's no where near as pronounced as mine. Mine sounds like there's some elf under my car smacking the car's undercarriage with a rubber mallet.

The dealer said they're going to take a new one off the lot and drive it to see if it does it or not. Good idea. I just hope they don't have another lemon or they'll think it's normal.

As yes, I did tell them I'd be happy to bring my wife's car over and take them for a drive.

Sometimes the noise almost seems to be coming up through the steering column. It's hard to pinpoint. but two dealer techs have heard it and they don't consider it normal.

On a side note about how much Ford cares about quality, my last 2010 Focus leaked gravel dust pretty badly through the back doors. It looked great with a black interior. The dealer replaced the weatherstrip, but it still did it. Ford's reps told my dealer to tell me, "He lives on a gravel road ... what does he expect."

What an asinine response for a factory representative to give. I sure as hell don't expect a $20,000 car to leak dust through the doors.

Now, I'm making monthly payments on a $38K car that clunks badly when going over loose rock or even small bumps in the street. And that's normal? Not in any car I've ever owned, unless ball joints and tie rods were going bad. Even my two cheaper Focus' never made this noise. And I don't remember my Pinto's doing it either. Yes, I owned Pinto's. :)

I talked to my dealer's sales manager last night. I've been buying Fords from them for over 30 years. and I'm NOT going to put up with Ford passing the buck on this one. From what I'm reading on the internet, other's are having similar issues. It's NOT a normal car suspension noise.

This may be the hair that breaks my back. If Ford can't or won't fix this, I'm done with Ford. My sons, who have both worked for Honda dealerships in the past, wanted me to buy an AWD CRV. I should have listened.

Over the course of my 61 years, I've owned 8 different Honda motorcycles, with my last two being Goldwings. None of those motorcycles EVER saw a repair shop.

Ford quality? Ford customer service? Yeah ... right.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Well my car went in for a second time for the left front end clunk. Another tech went with me. He hears it.

The car is still at the dealership. They can't find anything that they think would be causing it. Then I talked to the Service Advisor. The first thing I'm being told is that the first Ford engineer they talked to is trying to say "it's probably normal."

Then why, when I drive my wife's 2015 Titanium with the same engine, does her's not do it???

I drove her's again last night for about 30 minutes on our gravel roads. While I can hear a "little bit" of the same type of noise, it's no where near as pronounced as mine. Mine sounds like there's some elf under my car smacking the car's undercarriage with a rubber mallet.

The dealer said they're going to take a new one off the lot and drive it to see if it does it or not. Good idea. I just hope they don't have another lemon or they'll think it's normal.

As yes, I did tell them I'd be happy to bring my wife's car over and take them for a drive.

Sometimes the noise almost seems to be coming up through the steering column. It's hard to pinpoint. but two dealer techs have heard it and they don't consider it normal.

On a side note about how much Ford cares about quality, my last 2010 Focus leaked gravel dust pretty badly through the back doors. It looked great with a black interior. The dealer replaced the weatherstrip, but it still did it. Ford's reps told my dealer to tell me, "He lives on a gravel road ... what does he expect."

What an asinine response for a factory representative to give. I sure as hell don't expect a $20,000 car to leak dust through the doors.

Now, I'm making monthly payments on a $38K car that clunks badly when going over loose rock or even small bumps in the street. And that's normal? Not in any car I've ever owned, unless ball joints and tie rods were going bad. Even my two cheaper Focus' never made this noise. And I don't remember my Pinto's doing it either. Yes, I owned Pinto's. :)

I talked to my dealer's sales manager last night. I've been buying Fords from them for over 30 years. and I'm NOT going to put up with Ford passing the buck on this one. From what I'm reading on the internet, other's are having similar issues. It's NOT a normal car suspension noise.

This may be the hair that breaks my back. If Ford can't or won't fix this, I'm done with Ford. My sons, who have both worked for Honda dealerships in the past, wanted me to buy an AWD CRV. I should have listened.

Over the course of my 61 years, I've owned 8 different Honda motorcycles, with my last two being Goldwings. None of those motorcycles EVER saw a repair shop.

Ford quality? Ford customer service? Yeah ... right.
Hey RFtech53,

My name's Nick, and I'm one of the local Ford Service Reps. I'm more than happy to look into this to see what I can do to help get you running smooth again. Shoot me a PM with your name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number.

Nick

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just an update.

The dealer took three new Escape Titanium's off the lot, for a test drive. Two of them make the same noise mine does ... but they said they were no where near as loud as mine.

One didn't make the noise at all ... and they said it also had a different tire size ... though they didn't know why that would make a difference.

And my wife's also makes the same noise, though much more quietly than mine.

The dealer also disconnected my sway bar links, and the noise was still there. So they feel it's something other than the sway bar links, or sway bar, or bushings.

So there you have it. At least four Escape Titanium's in our area do it. I've got to believe others around the country do too.

A week has gone by. I'm told "Ford engineer's are working the issue."

I don't see how ... and I know my car isn't getting worked on. The dealer has some ideas on what might fix it. But they can't replace any part that doesn't prove out to be bad, or Ford will slap their hands.

Funny ... for over 40 years, I fixed private customer's and banks electronic equipment. And sometimes I'd replace 1 or two parts that appeared to be causing the problem, before I found the actual problem one. And none of the over 15 companies I was authorized to service for ever gave me any crap about it. They had tested me and knew I knew my craft, and would reimburse me whatever it took to make the customer happy again.

I feel like Ford's business model is "First, get the customer's money." "Second, don't worry about anything else."

·
Registered
52 Posts
All,

An update. First, I'd like to say that apparently Ford is working the issue, as my dealer's service manager informed me today. I'd prefer Ford work it faster. But at least they seem to be working it.

My dealer is going to bat for me, and has an idea of what they'd like to replace ... all at once ... so as not to keep inconveniencing me "part by part". Now it's up to Ford to allow them to do it.

Since they disconnected the sway bar and links, and the car still made the noise, they feel the next move would be to replace the two front struts and strut bushings/top mounts. There is some thought that even though the noise tends to be louder on the driver's side, it might be getting transferred from the passenger's side.

They have not been able to get the struts to sound bad in the shop by normal means. And the chassis ears won't help much because the gravel road that makes the problem show up so well, also makes so much noise as to mask the problem sound.

Let me state publicly here that I appreciate Junge Ford trying to resolve this with Ford on my behalf.

I also want to commend the Ford Service personnel who monitor this site, as my dealer's service manager got a phone call or email from the Ford folks here about my issues. And the dealer was impressed that Ford monitored these sites and tried to help owners get their problems solved.

Now we'll see if Ford comes through and lets the dealer replace what they feel is the best bet for fixing it. If they get the "okay", and it fixes my problem, I'll let you all know for sure.

Stay tuned.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts