2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you have yours in gear with foot on brake and other on gas can you raise your RPM’s mine don’t.?
Thinking something is shutting it down.

·
Registered
751 Posts
When you have yours in gear with foot on brake and other on gas can you raise your RPM’s mine don’t.?
Thinking something is shutting it down.
Probably preventing you wrecking the transmission...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply but maybe I have to say we just got it and was asking if everyone’s does this or should it rev up like most cars. Some newer vehicles do different things I just put it in gear and pressed the pedal to bring rpm up and thought this should rev but maybe these don’t? Cause soon as you take foot off brake it goes like normal. So if this is like normal vehicles then bam first thing on the list that gives me something to start looking into. I’m a Gm person and this is our first Ford so making sure things are the same. Having a vibration problem siting still at a light. But have a post out there on that and haven’t got any to go off reply’s that list what all I’ve done so far.
Thanks again from your comment I feel it should be like others and rev up.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Perhaps I m missing something but if you put the car in gear/drive and have one foot on the brake so you cannot move and push the accelerator you are putting a big strain on the transmission and it probably doesn't increase in revs due to a safety feature to prevent trannie damage. I don't know about other cars but I would never try this....

Sorry if I misunderstood you...perhaps you meant to say the car is in park or neutral when you try to increase the revs.:).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have your foot on the break and put car in drive like normal, then put other foot on gas pedal can you give it gas ? (Would be like power braking.) every car I know you can. On the escape you can’t . you can push the pedal to the floor and it will do nothing. If you did that to all our other cars they would want to peel the tires for say. Question is are all 2014 escapes this way ? Not trying to peel out or anything just bring rpm up slightly. It is something I went to do so very easy and found that this escape you can’t that’s the first thing that cought me maybe something is shutting this down . Again just asking if there all this way.?

·
Super Moderator
2,079 Posts
I've never tried it, but given the throttle is electronic it wouldn't surprise me if there's a safety built in to protect the trans.

PS: There's another thread regarding reprogramming the trans and I'm sure torque limits were mentioned as being programmed in from the factory.

PPS: Have you tried the hand brake to hold it? Not that I'm recommending it as a safe thing to do...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your reply I will look for that thread. Guess I’m a older school mechanic dealing with this newer technology and all computer control this is the first time walking threw this and trying to understand what’s going on.
Glad I’m learning it and as I drive with a foot on the brake and one on the gas in my truck it wouldn’t work in the new cars. But starting to see this all works off signals sent back and forth. Well during this lock down this is just like putting a puzzle together. Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Can't be power braked, They've got anti spin that senses throttle position relative to speed vs gear and a brake interlock that disables the TPS At 0 mph. With Auto Start Stop engaged, it also will not restart if the brake pedal is still applied. I haven't tried it, but I don't think you could do a shi‡ie with the electric parking brake; too much delay and no control over the force applied.

My '63 Plymouth Tork-Flyte could be push started: '64 and newer had an aluminum case and different solenoids/valves and couldn't.

·
Super Moderator
2,079 Posts
I don't think you could do a shi‡ie with the electric parking brake
It's a 2014 so would have the manual hand/ parking brake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don’t want to do one just trying to see if foot on brake can you bring up rpm .
when I did the pedal was like nothing there now I see that it should be like that .
trying to cut things out as I come across them. To fix my problem . Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don’t want to do one just trying to see if foot on brake can you bring up rpm .
when I did the pedal was like nothing there now I see that it should be like that .
trying to cut things out as I come across them. To fix my problem . Thanks
Test mine. Didn’t rev it up too high but it did raise the RPM by a few hundred with foot on brake at a stop light.

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine didn't raise either, but we have same issue. Thinking throttle body or tps? Can't be accel pedal i don't think. About to update mine with new pics in a min...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know this is off subject. Newer transmissions in the 60s deleted the rear fluid pump that was driven by the output shaft when push starting the car. No pump no pressure to engage the clutches.
Mike

My '63 Plymouth Tork-Flyte could be push started: '64 and newer had an aluminum case and different solenoids/valves and couldn't.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My '14 2.0 won't over rev. Even in park or neutral. I think my '03 GMC Envoy won't either.

(and a '64 Ply. I had could be push started. Must have had a trans replaced.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Perhaps I m missing something but if you put the car in gear/drive and have one foot on the brake so you cannot move and push the accelerator you are putting a big strain on the transmission and it probably doesn't increase in revs due to a safety feature to prevent trannie damage. I don't know about other cars but I would never try this....

Sorry if I misunderstood you...perhaps you meant to say the car is in park or neutral when you try to increase the revs.:).
All cars with automatics have torque converters with a ' lockup ' RPM related to it. That's when the engine rev gets tho the point it tries to pull the car. you won't be able to get more revs with the converter locked up that way. That's one scenario. Many cars today use the on-board ECU to save the trans or people must being careless. The ECU sees the brake pedal pushed and won't allow the engine to work hard and rev much. Normal! All new cars have a rev limiter in them. Some cars limit at very low RPM's such 1500-3000 RPM's without your foot on the brake. Remember you gas pedal is not connected to a cable to the engine these days, it is an electronic control pot, like a volume control on a radio. I actually had my gas pedal on a joystick on my console to work the accelerator pedal. That was interesting to drive. I have a 2015 Escape. You are asking the computer to move to accelerate, not opening air to the air intake system. The computer does the rest for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts

All cars with automatics have torque converters with a ' lockup ' RPM related to it. That's when the engine rev gets to the point it tries to pull the car. you won't be able to get more revs with the converter locked up that way That's one scenario. Many cars today use the on-board ECU to save the trans or people just being careless. The ECU sees the brake pedal pushed and won't allow the engine to work hard and rev much. Normal! All new cars have a rev limiter in them. Some cars limit at very low RPM's such 1500-3000 RPM's without your foot on the brake. Remember you gas pedal is not connected to a cable to the engine these days, it is an electronic control pot, like a volume control on a radio. I actually had my gas pedal on a joystick on my console to work the accelerator pedal. That was interesting to drive. I have a 2015 Escape. You are asking the computer to move to accelerate, not opening air to the air intake system. The computer does the rest for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My '14 2.0 won't over rev. Even in park or neutral. I think my '03 GMC Envoy won't either.

(and a '64 Ply. I had could be push started. Must have had a trans replaced.)
Al the old Chrysler cars could be push stated. They, like others back then, had a rear pump in the trans.

·
Registered
751 Posts
All cars with automatics have torque converters with a ' lockup ' RPM related to it. That's when the engine rev gets to the point it tries to pull the car. you won't be able to get more revs with the converter locked up that way That's one scenario. Many cars today use the on-board ECU to save the trans or people just being careless. The ECU sees the brake pedal pushed and won't allow the engine to work hard and rev much. Normal! All new cars have a rev limiter in them. Some cars limit at very low RPM's such 1500-3000 RPM's without your foot on the brake. Remember you gas pedal is not connected to a cable to the engine these days, it is an electronic control pot, like a volume control on a radio. I actually had my gas pedal on a joystick on my console to work the accelerator pedal. That was interesting to drive. I have a 2015 Escape. You are asking the computer to move to accelerate, not opening air to the air intake system. The computer does the rest for you.
Yep...I was just likening it to having a manual car up against a wall and then selecting first gear and engaging the clutch with the accelerator pressed to the floor. Obviously the clutch would not last long so I could not understand why anyone would want to do similar in an automatic but I understand that the ECU will not allow damage to occur on modern autos these days.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts