2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What’s happening is when you put in gear it drops rpm to 560 shaking like no tomarrow.
In park or neutral rpm is at 1000 with no shake smooth as can be
just was trying to put foot on brake and other foot on gas and bring rpm up to say 700 -900 or around about to see if it would stop shake.
i could not give it gas to see if it would smooth out.
process of elimination on gas pedal

·
Registered
248 Posts
My '14 2.0 won't over rev. Even in park or neutral. I think my '03 GMC Envoy won't either.

(and a '64 Ply. I had could be push started. Must have had a trans replaced.)
Maybe it was '65, that was the first year they discontinued the pushbuttons and went back to a column shifter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When you push your foot on the gas pedal, the clutches never really slip at all because they aren't turning yet. The torque converter input from the engine is turning, but the output of it is not. Yes, there is some stress on the clutches, but since the car isn't moving, the clutches never slip because nothing in the trans is turning. It is all in the torque converter trying to turn things, which it doesn't. Now if one were to do this for long periods of time, the trans fluid would start to heat up from the friction through the torque converter. Were you aware in many of the dragsters who used GM power glide transmissions, (possibly other manufacturers), were able to make a modification that allowed the trans to go into drive AND reverse at the same time? True fact! This allowed the engine to torque up the power first. When the green light went on, the driver would either push a button, or release a handle to take it out of reverse mode which allowed the car to jump out of the gate and they were ready to race down the track.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Maybe it was '65, that was the first year they discontinued the pushbuttons and went back to a column shifter.
I know it was a '64, still have a copy of the title, Turned it a oval track car. Had a floor shift. No place in the dash for push buttons. Someone before must have changed the trans., and maybe change the dash bezel to lose the holes for the buttons. Or maybe it had a manual trans at one time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I know it was a '64, still have a copy of the title, Turned it a oval track car. Had a floor shift. No place in the dash for push buttons. Someone before must have changed the trans., and maybe change the dash bezel to lose the holes for the buttons. Or maybe it had a manual trans at one time.
the Savoys and Belvederes wit TorkFlytes's had the buttons on the left part oft the dash, with park operated by a lever. the look balanced the heater controls on the right; lever controlling the temperature.
The manuals and Sport Fury's had a blank left side; Sport Fury's had buckets and a floor shifter
But enough digressing- Ain't no way to push start an Escape.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When you have yours in gear with foot on brake and other on gas can you raise your RPM’s mine don’t.?
Thinking something is shutting it down.
FYI, that is a safety feature known as Brake Override System. It is designed to prevent or mitigate Sudden Unattended Acceleration. If there are conflicting throttle and brake inputs occurring simultaneously, priority is given to the brake, which cancels out the throttle request. Nearly all vehicles today incorporate this feature which began in the early 2000's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FYI, that is a safety feature known as Brake Override System. It is designed to prevent or mitigate Sudden Unattended Acceleration. If there are conflicting throttle and brake inputs occurring simultaneously, priority is given to the brake, which cancels out the throttle request. Nearly all vehicles today incorporate this feature which began in the early 2000's.
From what I see in the HP Tuners software, there might be a protocol for a moving vehicle (brake override system as you've mentioned) and another drivetrain abuse mode to prevent application of throttle and brake while the vehicle is stopped. In this case a timer of 0.9 sec is in place, after which torque reduction (read:throttle closing) occurs. I modified this parameter to 5 sec as an experiment, and I can power brake (or brake torque whichever you want to call it) which produced quite an aggressive launch 😈
While there is obviously something wrong with the OPs vehicle, I think this relates to the subject matter.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts