2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, never posted here yet (but I’m very active on the Focus Fanatics forum).

I own a 2014 Escape SE 2.0L Turbo with AWD. Mileage is 82,000 km (50,000 miles). I noticed lately a little intermittent instability when the engine is hot and idling. It is very subtle but I noticed it a month ago. As a first step, I changed the oil, air filter and spark plugs (Motorcraft). Despite that, it still has that little shaking at idle once in a while. I tried with the AC ON or OFF without any changes. So far, no codes, not burning oil. Old spark plugs were still looking OK except for the one closer to the brake oil tank that had a bit more carbon on it (but not enough to say it’s abnormal).

I am thinking of collecting live data with my OBD reader and app but haven’t done it yet.

Anyone has experienced this? I could always replace the coils but that would be a bit premature. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,236 Posts
Hello, never posted here yet (but I’m very active on the Focus Fanatics forum).

I own a 2014 Escape SE 2.0L Turbo with AWD. Mileage is 82,000 km (50,000 miles). I noticed lately a little intermittent instability when the engine is hot and idling. It is very subtle but I noticed it a month ago. As a first step, I changed the oil, air filter and spark plugs (Motorcraft). Despite that, it still has that little shaking at idle once in a while. I tried with the AC ON or OFF without any changes. So far, no codes, not burning oil. Old spark plugs were still looking OK except for the one closer to the brake oil tank that had a bit more carbon on it (but not enough to say it’s abnormal).

I am thinking of collecting live data with my OBD reader and app but haven’t done it yet.

Anyone has experienced this? I could always replace the coils but that would be a bit premature. Any suggestions?
Welcome to the forum. It could be your motor mounts. That is what some members here have suggested in other threads where this issues has occurred. You can try a search to view the other threads for possible solutions for this issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am pretty sure my mechanics checked that today because I’m not the hands on type (with a broken back). I’ll ask him to check it in case he hasn’t yet. There is no apparent rust on that car. Actually, it’s quite a challenge to keep it from rusting, especially at the bottom of both front doors. It’s a ongoing fight! There’s actually a bit of superficial undercarriage rust but the engine bay is rust free. I treat it every year with an anti rust treatment. What could cause engine mounts to fail, other than rust? Could the serpentine belt be causing that? I will also check voltage tomorrow. Just thinking. I could post a photo of the engine bay.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here’s a picture of the engine bay without the cover. I think I can see the passenger motor mount in there. Looks fine to the untrained eye that I am (but I’m learning). I am no mechanics but I am a detailing freak. My Escape rarely gets dirty. Thanks for looking.

Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,835 Posts
Could it be occuring when the radiator fan/s kick in, or some other electrical (large) load switches on?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could it be occuring when the radiator fan/s kick in, or some other electrical (large) load switches on?
When I turn my engine OFF, I hear some fan spinning for 5-6 seconds. It could be the AC left ON when I turn the engine OFF. AC blows very cold and the engine temp is stable even on a hot steamy day.

Maybe the issue will get worse at some point.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,835 Posts
I was just wondering as other vehicles I've owned can have a momentary drop in revs when large loads switch in at idle. How old is your battery? Perhaps it could be on it's way out and can't supply enough current in those situations?

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,608 Posts
Have the mechanic look at the rear roll restrictor (they may want to refer to it as the rear transmission mount).
Those were soft from factory (quite a few people switched them out for the one from the Focus electric) and it wouldn't surprise me if it were worn out after 8 years.
The one here looks like the Ford one I referred to:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have the mechanic look at the rear roll restrictor (they may want to refer to it as the rear transmission mount).
Those were soft from factory (quite a few people switched them out for the one from the Focus electric) and it wouldn't surprise me if it were worn out after 8 years.
Ok. We’re replacing all the brakes soon so we’ll be checking that. Would these kinds of issues systematic or intermittent? To be honest, I became aware of that little vibration lately but it is very possible that it’s been there for a long time.

Last year I decided to perform extreme maintenance on my two cars so I’ve been listening a lot more at all noises that could be an issue. I must have spent $9k CDN so far (just 8 tires cost a bundle nowadays).

·
Registered
Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
2,608 Posts
The place you'll feel the vibration most is right underneath your feet when sitting in the driver's seat.
The vertical bolt that holds the mount to the body is right below, you have to pull the lower splash shield to see it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As I suspected, my friend mechanics had already checked the mounts (because he detected too the light vibration yesterday). He has this long habit of always taking a long metal rod and checking the undercarriage of each car he puts it on the lift.

I also checked the voltage with engine off and then on with lots of accessories turned on and the voltage was normal (12.5 for the battery and 14.4 for the alternator). I didn’t do a load test however because I don’t have a tester for that.

Aside of checking for carbon on the intake I’m out of ideas. As I already said, it is not concerning yet but maybe it will increase over time.

·
Registered
White/2013FordEscape/Titanium/EcoBoost2.0L/FWD/
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It could be your motor mounts. That is what some members here have suggested in other threads where this issues has occurred. You can try a search to view the other threads for possible solutions for this issue.
Precisely what I was thinking, just had to get mine (2013 FWD Escape Titanium) replaced a few months ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How much mileage do you have on it? Was it only intermittent? I need a brake job and I will ask my mechanics to verify (but I think he already did a few weeks ago when we changed the oil).
I’m at 97800 miles. Yes it was only intermittent, I was afraid it was an issue with the transmission because when it would happen, it would feel like a hard jerk when shifting gears. So glad it wasn’t the transmission. The right upper motor mount is what ended up needing to be replaced.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m at 97800 miles. Yes it was only intermittent, I was afraid it was an issue with the transmission because when it would happen, it would feel like a hard jerk when shifting gears. So glad it wasn’t the transmission. The right upper motor mount is what ended up needing to be replaced.
Ford will drain my transmission in two weeks. I’ll ask them to verify the mounts when the plate under the car is removed. BTW, I also have a hard gear shift at around 20 mph and resuming speed. It sometimes (read rarely) hesitates for a split second and then the downshift is a bit rough. It’s been like that since day one in 2014 so I’m not worried. Also I found out that that going from Sport mode to normal mode (after passing a slow car) without touching the gas pedal and when the cruise control is activated, the car stays in lower gear until I touch the gas pedal or turn off the cruise control. Weird bug. Otherwise, it’s fine.

On my old Focus, the EVAP system often cause a bit of engine shake when it purges the canister and I’m wondering if it could be the same on the Escape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This was the damaged motor mount before replacing it.
O
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Trunk

Automotive tire Goggles Hat Eyewear Bag

·
Registered
291 Posts
This seems to be a production defect.
No, it's a motor mount that wore out. The mount under the vehicle mentioned in comment #9 also wears out. More info here:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts