2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

Livernois Tune Installed On My 2017 Titanium

60K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  Two.0turbo 
#1 ·
Out of nowhere this morning, I made the decision to use my Livernois tune kit to install a 91 octane tune on my 2017 2.0L Escape Titanium.
91 is the best we do for premium here in Colorado at 5000ft.
Currently, I have about 850 miles on my Escape.

I bought the tune kit from Livernois even before my car came in from my factory order.
The instructions were simple, I installed the program on my computer, I plugged the tune unit into the Escape get certain ECU and Strategy codes and things which I then sent to Anthony at Livernois.
Once the tunes were ready, I hooked up my tune unit to my computer and it auto found the tunes from Livernois and downloaded them.
There tuner holds 4 custom tunes as well as a copy of one's stock tune, so I ordered an 89, 91 and 93 performance tunes.
Because there was one space left open, Livernois included a more aggressive race type feel 91 tune as well, so I have 2 91 octance performance tunes.

Install was easy and took about 10 minutes.

I went for an initial test drive and all I can say is wow, this tune really woke the car up.
The low end RPMs have much better acceleration than before.
It runs smooth as silk too.
I haven't tried sport mode yet but man, what a difference.
Right now I am on Cloud 9.

The tune also changed the exhaust sound somewhat when wide open and the note is more pleasing than before.
I did hear a slight whistle at redline once when I was on it hard.
I think that may have been the waste gate opening on the turbo, but I am no expert.

I am not sure yet if I am going to do the 160 thermostat at this time. I am going to watch the operating temperature, but my feeling is that the 160 thermostat is more for the ultra performance guys who are trying to eliminate as much heat soak as possible.
As I say, I think I will wait on the cooler thermostat for now.
I don't run hard very often so we will see.

Yes, the Livernois performance tune definitely wakes up the car and there is no doubt in my mind I am quicker than before.
My guess is that can run a sub 6.5 sec 0-60 at sea level, it feels that much quicker.
But the sound the engine makes? Way better than before too.

By the way, apparently Livernois is the only one doing 2017 Escape tunes.
I contacted SCT and Unleashed Tuning, and SCT is no longer supporting any software for 2017 Escapes, so for now, Livernois is it.

Livernois claims an increase of 55HP and if true, that puts my Escape at 300HP.
I am loving my new tune.

In fact, I have to go drive it again just because I can.

See less See more
#4 ·
It's pricey, 599 dollars. That's the full pop price I paid.
Livernois does run holiday specials here and there I think.

I have bombed around a bit since I put the tune on and it is really great.
I have decided that although I see no difference in the running water temperature, I am going to install the 160 degree thermostat on Wednesday at SCR in Loveland.

I am told that 30 degree difference will allow the computer to run more timing advancements and more boost based on cooler temps. So it goes on.

For me, the price of the tune was worth it.
While I did think the power was just fine with the factory tune, now that I have experienced what Ford left on the table, I will stay with this new tune, it's amazing.

Typically, I am told I drive like an old lady mostly. I mean, I leave lots of following distance and drive as smoothly as I can. When I drive in old lady mode, there is no difference in how the car runs between the factory tune and the Livernois tune.

That said though, I have a driver's spirit and always have, and when conditions are right, I do like to air things out here and there... and now, I can.

Yes, I like the tune.

I thought it might be interesting do an SCT tune with Torrie from Unleashed Tuning and compare that to the Livernois tune just because I can. I mean, I do have the time since I am retired.
He told me SCT isn't supporting the current model Escapes and asked me to contact SCT which I did.
Torrie said that if SCT would start their support for 2017 Escapes, he'd start doing tunes for them.
SCT emailed me back saying they do not have software and support for 2017 Escapes at this time.

That makes Livernois the only game in town for now and their tune runs really good.

#5 ·
Awesome write up man! I know exactly how you feel when you got your tune. It really makes the Escape act like a different car. Seriously its the best mod I put on my car. Anyone out there on the fence about buying a tune, it is totally worth it!

Reactions: Abeyta8151
#7 ·
I did not change the thermostat. I actually haven't even looked into the benefits I could get with one. But, I did change my intercooler, so maybe that works just as well.

#12 ·
I live in a semi rural area.
Tonight, I just got back from a test drive on a newly paved perfectly straight 2+ mile road with a 55MPH limit and no one around anywhere.

I stopped, slowly rolled to about 15MPH and let it rip.
This thing just flat out took off. I decided to pull my foot off the gas pedal like when it had the factory tune and I'd be going 60MPH, except when I looked down, I was doing 75MPH.
It didn't do such to me before.
Wow, just wow.
Plus, before when I would accelerate at highway speeds, there was a strange low end exhaust sound when the turbo kicked in. Now it doesn't have that odd sound.

At any speed at this point, my Escape is without a doubt quicker than my V-8 2004 BMW X5 Sport.
Very nice.

One might ask why I do a 15MPH roll before letting things fly.
I am not a fan of punching it from a dead stop. Too much stress on the machinery in my opinion.

Now, I don't street race others, never have.
But I do look at numbers and the numbers tell me a stock 2017 Titanium 2.0L does 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, while the Subaru Forester does 0-60 in 6.5 seconds to lead the class in acceleration.
I got the Subaru Foresters covered. They don't scare my Escape anymore... on paper.

That makes me happy, yes it does.

#13 ·
I talked with Matt at Livernois this morning regarding the cooler thermostat.

A cooler thermostat is not required, but recommended.
If using the cooler thermostat, they say it helps lessen heat soak and if I install it, I can take advantage of increased timing and boost, whereas if I do not install it, I will not be as quick as I would be with it.

There you have it regarding the cooler thermostat.

#14 ·
Do you have any idea what effect this "tune" has on your factory warranty?

#15 ·
My guess is that the power train warranty may very well be voided.
I operate on that assumption being valid.
I am not hiding it from Ford. I am on a publicly read forum.

My situation is unique in that I have a year and maybe a little more time left to live, so I made a conscious decision to have a little fun before I pass on. One of the very few advantages to being terminally ill.
Others' situations are different and I understand your concerns and wish you all to live happily through your warranties and then have fun.

It's funny to me that I truly wish all a long and happy life. Odd isn't it?
I am supposed to be bitter but I am quite the opposite.
Very strange.

#20 ·
Thanks, I agree, I did get what I wanted.
In this day and age, it is rare to have something meet and exceed my expectations, however my new Escape and the Livernois has.
What a great thing.

Now, if I could only acquire the Kuga ST suspension and steering rack, the Escape would be complete.
Or would it?

It's a good thing I love my Escape and the tune.
Yesterday's hail storm totaled my 2004 X5.

My Escape escaped damage and was in the garage.

Because my Escape escaped damage, it's new nickname is The Great Escape.

#21 ·
You, sir, have the most uplifting attitude of anyone I know. I hope sincerely that your positivity and spirit somehow give you much more time than you say you have, because you deserve it. However, you are a man who seems at peace with your situation, and live with the philosophy that it isn't about the quantity of time one has, it's about the quality of that time.
I am enjoying reading about your experiences with your Great Escape, and your zest for living life in the moment. If we all did that we'd be in a happier world, I have no doubt. Bottom line is, nobody knows how much time they really have. Live it while you got it.

Because of your results with the Livernois tune, I'm really tempted to go that route, although I do have a few warranty concerns, and I did spring for the Ford Premium ESP plan (online via Zeigler Ford) because of all the tech/modules/electronically controlled stuff, etc. which can get real costly if a single module goes out. Just the emissions controls scare the hell out of me if sensors or anything else starts acting up. I'm wondering if the tune can be reset to factory before taking it to a dealer for service, but probably some hidden data storage would spill the beans, even if there were no apparent negative effects during routine inspections.

Anyway, keep the updates coming. Your reporting is the most fun and enjoyable reading on the forum for this fairly new Escape driver. All the best!
–Phil

#22 ·
Thank you for the kind words. I am not sure I deserve those because I didn't do anything other than become ill.
I make the best sense of it that I can.
All that matters is that this is making my family stronger so such family unit will survive me.
Fortunately, my family is taken care of quite well after I am gone, I made some smart decisions in the past.

I don't want to be "that" person who is kicking and screaming out the door if I can help it. But one never knows.
My other mission is to properly teach my daughters how to die, if that makes any sense.

Back to the tune.
I had the 160 degree thermostat installed today after reading a reply email from Anthony at Livernois.
I asked for an explanation of why the cooler thermostat is recommended.
The answer made sense to me, others' mileage may vary.

Thomas,
The cooler thermostat helps to keep the engine running at a more beneficial temperature for performance and severe duty use such as towing / hauling. These small displacement turbocharged engines create more heat than your average 4 cylinder engine would. When the engine gets above what the ECU considers to be an optimal temperature range the vehicle begins to pull back power among other things. So opening the thermostat roughly 20 degrees sooner helps to ensure the engine runs to the best of it's abilities during more extreme types of driving especially. This helps to make the engine overall more friendly to the added timing and boost our tuning provides among other things.
Thank you
Regards,
Anthony
Livernois Motorsports & Engineering, LLC
Phone: 313-561-5500 Fax: 313-730-7500

#23 ·
Back when both Unleashed Tuning and Livernois were doing tunes to our Escapes, there was language they used pertaining to "harder" shifts of the transmission after their tunes were installed.

I know what they are doing and why. They add that language to assure the lowest common denominator customer who installs their tunes and feels the difference in shifting and then complains.

I have been driving for just short of 50 years, soI look at this in a different way.

The modern auto trannys shift so smoothly these days, I can barely feel them.
In fact, I find such abnormal.

Yes, my tranny now shifts a bit more affirmatively than before, so the feel of the shifts seems more normal to me.

Maybe it is not my place to post this link to my co owned forum, so if the Admin here wishes, I will delete.
We don't do ads at our site so we don't care about traffic numbers. In other words, it isn't about the money.
I have an 80 page thread chronicling my life since the day I started feeling odd.
I should warn you all though, everything posted is and was done in real time, so you get to see the sausage made, and we all know that such isn't always pretty.
But if anyone is interested in how I got from there to here, here you go, and I hope it helps others on both sides of the cancer issues all of us face during our lifetimes.
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4940081593

#24 ·
Hmmm, the temperature gauge must be a fake. By that I mean there was no difference in the temperature reading on the dash than with the old thermostat.

I suspect the temperature gauge is computer controlled so I get cold, hot and normal only.
I could be wrong.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.