2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Escape Titanium Hybrid
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed the map data on my 2020 Titanium Hybrid is out of date.

So far I have noticed 2 major discrepancies in roads local to my area, Google Maps and my Garmin GPS both show the correct streets and the My Journeys (beta) section in the Ford Pass app shows the correct info.

both of these omissions are 18 to 24 months old.

I would think Ford should update the map data (at least within the warranty period)

·
Super Moderator
768 Posts
You can check this site and see if there is a free update available, but normally you have to pay...

I only get the map data built into a vehicle when it comes packaged with something else I want... I have both a garmin gps with lifetime map and traffic updates and a phone with lots of mapping options... I'm not interested in paying $$$ for a map update to my vehicle.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have noticed the map data on my 2020 Titanium Hybrid is out of date.

So far I have noticed 2 major discrepancies in roads local to my area, Google Maps and my Garmin GPS both show the correct streets and the My Journeys (beta) section in the Ford Pass app shows the correct info.

both of these omissions are 18 to 24 months old.

I would think Ford should update the map data (at least within the warranty period)
What map version do you have? 18Q1 or 19Q1? 19Q1 is the latest available. The map updates are free for a few years.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It appears our 2020 models are not eligible for the updates yet. At least that is the information from the Ford GPS navigation map update site, only 2019 or older . My map is NA118.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yeah, I don’t think they’ve pushed those out as of yet for update. If you’re curious if this new map addresses a particular problem, just PM me and I can do a quick check.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah, I don’t think they’ve pushed those out as of yet for update. If you’re curious if this new map addresses a particular problem, just PM me and I can do a quick check.
Nope, I am fine. Thanks for all your help on the Forum, certainly more informed than the dealerships when questioned about Sync issues. Go Buckeyes

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium
68 Posts
When I put in my VIN and ESN into Ford - Sync3 Map Update I got this message:
InvalidModelYear(<2010): The vehicle’s model year is not eligible for a Sync 3 map update.
Please check the VIN and ESN.If you feel that the information is correct, please visit navigation.com.(012)

Then, following the link to navigation.com and from there to here (LONG URL at Ford / Mercury | Navigation System GPS Map Update Home), the updates seem only to be through 2019.

My Maps Version is NA 118.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
When I put in my VIN and ESN into Ford - Sync3 Map Update I got this message:
InvalidModelYear(<2010): The vehicle’s model year is not eligible for a Sync 3 map update.
Please check the VIN and ESN.If you feel that the information is correct, please visit navigation.com.(012)

Then, following the link to navigation.com and from there to here (LONG URL at Ford / Mercury | Navigation System GPS Map Update Home), the updates seem only to be through 2019.

My Maps Version is NA 118.
I believe that is what @UofMEngineer said.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Any idea if this will show up in the FordPass app as an update notice?

Also wondering if this is a US only or a NA wide update (because of the need for French in Canada)

NefCanuck
Re: FordPass - Who knows.
Re: Map - It's region wide. Canada, US and Mexico are all included in the NA update with all three languages.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
FYI, 19Q1 map data is now available for download from the SYNC Navigation site. This map data enables some new voice nav functionality, for those that use it, once the core software is updated as well.

Reactions: wiz043

·
Registered
68 Posts
OK, I've downloaded the maps to a thumb drive and am ready to do the install.

The instructions say that the process of updating the nav system + maps can take an hour or more.

The instructions say "Make sure the engine is running."

I have a hybrid. Am I correct that I can count on the car to start and stop the engine as necessary to keep enough charge going to keep the state of charge sufficient during the 60 minute update process?

Can I leave the car alone in the garage (engine on, of course), or do I have sit there for an hour watching it update itself?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
OK, I've downloaded the maps to a thumb drive and am ready to do the install.

The instructions say that the process of updating the nav system + maps can take an hour or more.

The instructions say "Make sure the engine is running."

I have a hybrid. Am I correct that I can count on the car to start and stop the engine as necessary to keep enough charge going to keep the state of charge sufficient during the 60 minute update process?

Can I leave the car alone in the garage (engine on, of course), or do I have sit there for an hour watching it update itself?
Yes, you can leave it on and let the engine switch on as needed. The one thing to watch out for is the 30 minute auto shut down timer. I forget off hand if you can turn that off via the screen settings, I want to say no. In that case, go out around that time to accept the message to leave the car running, or just go take it for a short drive to reset the timer. There are various ways to get it done via a combo of accessory mode, driving, etc. really. Just make sure you don't pull the stick until it's completely done after around an hour. It'll automatically restart itself a couple times.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the detai
Yes, you can leave it on and let the engine switch on as needed. The one thing to watch out for is the 30 minute auto shut down timer. I forget off hand if you can turn that off via the screen settings, I want to say no. In that case, go out around that time to accept the message to leave the car running, or just go take it for a short drive to reset the timer. There are various ways to get it done via a combo of accessory mode, driving, etc. really. Just make sure you don't pull the stick until it's completely done after around an hour. It'll automatically restart itself a couple times.
Yeah, disable the 30 min max idle setting in vehicle settings.
Thanks for the detailed response. My only hesitation about using accessory mode is that at some point, of the state of charge gets too low, the car turns itself off even from accessory mode, no?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Thanks for the detai

Thanks for the detailed response. My only hesitation about using accessory mode is that at some point, of the state of charge gets too low, the car turns itself off even from accessory mode, no?
Yeah, with a hybrid I wouldn't bother with all accessory. The engine will actually run for a little while anyway to recharge the battery as needed. Just shut off anything else that might drain power to limit it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just successfully updated to the new map NA 119. Software update took about hour and a haft. Part 1 took an hour. Updated while idling in driveway and driving around town, just be patient and wait for the complected notice. Ford SYNC software update install instructions are much improved from last time I needed for my 2018 Escape.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just did the update. As was the case for @buckeye4, the whole process took about 90 minutes. When it was finished and I turned off the car, the trip length was 10 minutes, suggesting that during that 90 minutes, the engine was running for 10 min.

The only piece of advice I'd give is to either not have your phone around or turn off Bluetooth on your phone while the map update is happening (if you pair your phone with your car). The screen regularly showed messages such as "Trying to connect with R's iPhone" and "Cannot connect to R's iPhone." For the "Trying to..." message, I could see on the top of the screen behind the message the "installing" message for the map update, but I could NOT see that message when the "Cannot connect to..." message. Even after I dismissed the dialog box, there was no indication that the Sync update was still occurring. Since I was 45 minutes into the process and @buckeye4 said it took 90 minutes for him, I figured that the process probably wasn't done. I clicked around the interface for a while (which was barely responsive), and still no message. I then noticed that the LED on the flash drive was still flashing, so I figured the process was still going on. Eventually, after about 5 minutes, the "installing" message reappeared. Turning off Bluetooth on my phone ahead of time would have prevented all this.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts