2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Escape Titanium 2.0L Ecoboost AWD
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've logged some boost related data, including MAF, and wonder what others have seen for MAF. Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

At 5455 rpm with the pedal floored in 1st gear I got 18 lb/min of MAF, 32.2 psi absolute MAP, 33.5 psi absolute measured boost, 32.2 psi absolute desired boost (ECU command) and a throttle opening of 47.1%. I live at 1070 ft elevation, and it was about 90 F the day of the log (maybe 110 F at air filter) so if I correct the MAF to sea level and 70 F it would be about 21 lb/min. Using the approximation of 10 Horsepower per lb/min of MAF only gives 210 HP, which is quite a bit short of the advertised 245 HP at that RPM. I was originally concerned that the throttle was only opening 47%, but apparently that's all it needs to achieve the "Desired Boost Pressure", since the "Measured Boost Pressure" exceeds it slightly. So, I'd like to know what others have seen for MAF readings at about 5500 rpm and 100% pedal conditions for the 2.0L Ecoboost engine without any ECU remapping or upgrades.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've just noticed that my log data is for "Calculated MAF", which could be as good as an actual MAF reading, if one were available (which I suspect it isn't) or as bad as a calculated value based on an assumed volumetric efficiency, if the ECU does not have an actual VE table available for the engine. If it's the latter case, that could explain why the numbers seem low because the Ecoboost is probably more efficient at moving air than a "typical" engine Regardless, I would be interested in seeing what others are getting for this data..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After more research I conclude that there is no MAF sensor on the 2.0L Ecoboost Escape and the "Calculated MAF" value could be garbage. I believe a better indicator is "SAE Absolute Load" (an estimate of volumetric efficiency), which I've seen stated, on a "diagnostic tools and techniques website (www.scannerdanner.com)", that values of 155-185% are reasonable for Ecoboost engines. So, I grabbed some new log data, replacing MAF with ABS_LOAD, and recorded values between 154 and 197% during pedal to the metal runs. A near 200% VE correlates well with an advertised 245 HP from a 122 cu.in. motor, which could be expected to generate 122 HP at 100% VE with no boost (naturally aspirated). I don't know how accurate ABS_LOAD is but at least this gives me a sense that the ECU is correctly translating my request for maximum torque into a demand for maximum torque. The following is my latest plot: Rectangle Slope Font Plot Line

I'd still be interested in seeing logs of similar data from anyone else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts