2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape SE AWD 2.0 Ecoboost
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! First off all, I'm new to this forum. I was in a lot of Facebook escape groups, but recently deleted my account to get away from all the craziness. Hope to be able to learn and contribute lots to this forum.

Now my question. My escape is a 2017 SE AWD with the 2.0 eco. When I got the car, the 2-3 shift was pretty firm, which didn't bother me much, it just struck me as odd because the other shifts were not that way. Recently, the 3-4 shift has gotten pretty sloppy. And what I mean by that is it kinda hesitates for just an additional split second when going into gear, and when it does go into gear, it's noticeably harsher than it ever was before. The car has 68k miles on it. I've done a drain and fill 3 times since I bought it about 8 months ago and it does have a new motor as it was victim to coolant consumption. My question is, is this trans behavior normal? I read a lot on the fusion forums that the 6F35 tends to shift funky sometimes, but this is pretty consistent, and I just want to make sure I don't need to worry about it. Otherwise if it really seems to be a problem, I need to get rid of the car before I'm stuck needing a new trans. Thanks in advance for any input you have to offer!

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
I know that giving links to videos and saying - "Now watch this!" - isn't the best or friendly way to answer a forum question but FordtechMakuloco goes through some the reasons why a transmission might be shifting roughly. He starts out by saying the computer that runs the transmission adjust itself to the driver so if there is multiple drivers or if you bought the car used it could take a while for the transmission to get use to everything. Second he also suggest making sure your car's computer systems are fully updated. If not go the dealer, update it, and then go out and test to see everything is okay. You can also make sure that your transmission fluid levels are okay. If this doesn't solve the issue then you might have to go to a dealer or transmission repair shop.

Here's the full video for your view.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that giving links to videos and saying - "Now watch this!" - isn't the best or friendly way to answer a forum question but FordtechMakuloco goes through some the reasons why a transmission might be shifting roughly. He starts out by saying the computer that runs the transmission adjust itself to the driver so if there is multiple drivers or if you bought the car used it could take a while for the transmission to get use to everything. Second he also suggest making sure your car's computer systems are fully updated. If not go the dealer, update it, and then go out and test to see everything is okay. You can also make sure that your transmission fluid levels are okay. If this doesn't solve the issue then you might have to go to a dealer or transmission repair shop.

Here's the full video for your view.

Appreciate the link! I just had the trans fluid checked and topped off. It was a quart low. KAM was reset when I had the new motor put in and it did learn, however it was 3 quarts low when I got it back, so it may have picked up some "bad habits" as was mentioned in the video. The odd thing to me is that it just started the harsh 3-4 recently. I will have to check and make sure the software is the latest available.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I know mine can change behavior based on adaptive learning. If you usually push it hard and now you don’t it could still be adapting. I’d try accelerating different ways and see if the behavior matches a driving style. Is it harsh engagement or does it feel like it’s building pressure that won’t relieve? Mine was rebuilt because of the 2-3 but it not only did the lag but also a violent engagement especially after sitting a few hours

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know mine can change behavior based on adaptive learning. If you usually push it hard and now you don’t it could still be adapting. I’d try accelerating different ways and see if the behavior matches a driving style. Is it harsh engagement or does it feel like it’s building pressure that won’t relieve? Mine was rebuilt because of the 2-3 but it not only did the lag but also a violent engagement especially after sitting a few hours
That's what I thought at first too. Although when I first got it, it was adapting to my more aggressive driving style and even though the shifts were firm, they weren't harsh or delayed. The 2-3 and 3-4 shift now aren't great. The 3-4 shift especially takes one full second between gears a lot of the time. Its like if you were driving a manual and granny shifting. Then if I try to floor it at any point in any gear, it takes between 2-4 full seconds to kick down a gear and when it does, it slams into gear so hard that the whole car jolts. Hardly anywhere near normal function of a 6f35. My folks 2012 Escape definitely shifts lazily here and there, but it's smooth and controlled. Just hoping it's nothing seriously wrong... Appreciate the reply, my friend

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on my E. So I took it into the shop I had install my new motor. They had it for all of today and were unable to find the root cause of my issues. They did a software update, fluid drain and fill, KAM reset, and performed a bunch of tests. They are partners with a local ford dealership, and as an act of good faith, they have offered to pay to have the dealership diagnose my problem. If the cause of my problems are due to a mistake made by their install of my new motor, they will also pay to have the problem fixed by the dealer. They are taking it in on Tuesday. Fingers crossed that it's something my shop will cover or something minor that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts