2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forums for this but haven't found it yet. My 2019 Escape SE with the 1.5L eco does ok from 0-60. Now when it comes to passing a tractor trailer on a 2 lane road it falls flat on its face and makes passing pretty much any vehicle quite a challenge. Is there an aftermarket chip or controller, that someone here has experience with, to bump up the boost during WOT situations that won't destroy the engine or am I left with having to make sure I have tons of room with no cars coming from a mile away?

·
Registered
771 Posts
You have to understand these are small 4 cylinder engines..the reason they are turbo charged is to get good MPG'S and reasonable amount of HP...The Escapes aren't light weight either....Don't think they are going to give an unlimited amount of power like the old V-8's of yesterday...If you have paddle shifters, you could downshift out of overdrive in order to give you a little more boost at highway speed...I know with the 2.0 if you use hightest gas, it will give you the maximum amount of HP...Not sure with the 1.5 if that matters....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I understand the reason it's sluggish beyond 60, I was hoping that someone has experience with an aftermarket controller or chip to help boost it up a bit during WOT situations.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I understand the reason it's sluggish beyond 60, I was hoping that someone has experience with an aftermarket controller or chip to help boost it up a bit during WOT situations.
I know what your thinking BUT, think of your warranty and also what has happened to some of these engines with coolant intrusions especially on the 1.5's...I would baby these engines, instead of souping them up...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what your thinking BUT, think of your warranty and also what has happened to some of these engines with coolant intrusions especially on the 1.5's...I would baby these engines, instead of souping them up...
And I appreciate your concern for its reliability and longevity. I'm still curious though and hoping to hear from someone who has knowledge of or experience with aftermarket controllers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You’re looking for something like a pedal commander right?

I’ve got the 1.6L from the pre-facelift body style. I don’t really have any problems passing people going over 60. That said, I will sometimes drop it to sport mode if I see a car coming up in the passing lane. I’m assuming you have sport mode and have tried it and that it’s not quite good enough for your application?

·
Registered
70 Posts
From what I have researched about with the so called throttle booster It will not make any extra horsepower, it only makes the throttle more responsive. There are many real world YouTube videos out there, although not on the escape. They basically take the electronic lag out of the throttle which gives you the feeling of faster acceleration. Back when I was a pup we did the same thing with customer cars at tune up time, Moved the throttle spring a notch tighter, the customer thought he had a rocket ship. Next oil change move it back and they needed another tune-up. This was back in the points distributor day when they needed a tune-up every 12,000 mile.

The only way to make more horsepower and torque is to get an actual "tune" That will change timing, fuel curves, and boost, this would be in the form of an SCT Tuner and then have someone knowledgeable with this platform make you a custom tune. With this you would NEED to run premium fuel and be careful not to damage the engine. ( seems from reading these engines are a little fragile stock to say the least.I would think that the 1.5 is working quite hard to propel these vehicles. With a tune warranty could also be an issue. Back in the earley days the Pcm was not aware that it had been modified, from my understanding they do have a memory even after the tune is put back to stock??? My now Escape is a 2.0 and other than the throttle lag from a start is very good. 0 to 100 and passing are very good, especially when comparing to my old Escape hybrid with a worn out battery. That one you had to plan an entrance to the highway. If you could see a car you better wait!!! LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You’re looking for something like a pedal commander right?

I’ve got the 1.6L from the pre-facelift body style. I don’t really have any problems passing people going over 60. That said, I will sometimes drop it to sport mode if I see a car coming up in the passing lane. I’m assuming you have sport mode and have tried it and that it’s not quite good enough for your application?
Yeah it gets really soft above 60 and I use premium fuel exclusively. I don't know about the pedal commander, from what I've read those controllers change throttle tip-in mostly with few other changes.

I just emailed a company (Performance Chip Tuning) to see if they had any actual dyno results from their stage 3 chip which supposedly is good for 40hp. If they have reliable information and a good record then $219 is cheap for 40hp.

I'll report back when I hear from them and let you know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I have researched about with the so called throttle booster It will not make any extra horsepower, it only makes the throttle more responsive. There are many real world YouTube videos out there, although not on the escape. They basically take the electronic lag out of the throttle which gives you the feeling of faster acceleration. Back when I was a pup we did the same thing with customer cars at tune up time, Moved the throttle spring a notch tighter, the customer thought he had a rocket ship. Next oil change move it back and they needed another tune-up. This was back in the points distributor day when they needed a tune-up every 12,000 mile.

The only way to make more horsepower and torque is to get an actual "tune" That will change timing, fuel curves, and boost, this would be in the form of an SCT Tuner and then have someone knowledgeable with this platform make you a custom tune. With this you would NEED to run premium fuel and be careful not to damage the engine. ( seems from reading these engines are a little fragile stock to say the least.I would think that the 1.5 is working quite hard to propel these vehicles. With a tune warranty could also be an issue. Back in the earley days the Pcm was not aware that it had been modified, from my understanding they do have a memory even after the tune is put back to stock??? My now Escape is a 2.0 and other than the throttle lag from a start is very good. 0 to 100 and passing are very good, especially when comparing to my old Escape hybrid with a worn out battery. That one you had to plan an entrance to the highway. If you could see a car you better wait!!! LOL
Excellent input sir. My wife and I took it on a road trip last week to Oklahoma City from Atlanta. It was great, we both love it. Only problem is when you get behind a tractor trailer on a 2 lane road that is creeping along, you have to plan a long ways ahead which can get a little unnerving at times. It would bother me a bit if all a controller did was only make changes at WOT for a little extra passing boost.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just emailed a company (Performance Chip Tuning) to see if they had any actual dyno results from their stage 3 chip which supposedly is good for 40hp. If they have reliable information and a good record then $219 is cheap for 40hp.
Not to be a downer but I wouldn't get your hopes up. That looks to be a generic OBDII dongle for all Ford vehicles. I would guess the 40HP is on one of Ford's bigger engines (probably 3.5L TT) since you can input any of Ford's vehicles from their drop-down menus. There is also no engine displacement choice there which leads me to believe this is more of a throttle adjustment chip. The same thing could be achieved by stomping on the gas.

Have you seen any of the threads on tunes from Unleashed using the SCT X4? From what I've read, our 2.0L siblings have had good performance increases with them. Could be worth a shot to reach out to them. I've debated getting one but as @KY.BORN said, these aren't performance vehicles and the smaller displacement engines are even less so.

Just my two cents. Feel free to disregard if you want to try out that JDM performance chip.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes a couple hundred dollars to get you 40HP is great. I don't disbelieve it is very easy to accomplish on any supercharged or turbocharged platform. I too use premium fuel. Please keep us posted! Believe it or not most aftermarket performance tunes will actually improve fuel molage. I have had two supercharged trucks and proper tuning has much improved performance and economy. The main thing is finding someone that has knowledge of the platform being tuned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to be a downer but I wouldn't get your hopes up. That looks to be a generic OBDII dongle for all Ford vehicles. I would guess the 40HP is on one of Ford's bigger engines (probably 3.5L TT) since you can input any of Ford's vehicles from their drop-down menus. There is also no engine displacement choice there which leads me to believe this is more of a throttle adjustment chip. The same thing could be achieved by stomping on the gas.

Have you seen any of the threads on tunes from Unleashed using the SCT X4? From what I've read, our 2.0L siblings have had good performance increases with them. Could be worth a shot to reach out to them. I've debated getting one but as @KY.BORN said, these aren't performance vehicles and the smaller displacement engines are even less so.

Just my two cents. Feel free to disregard if you want to try out that JDM performance chip.
I'll agree with you on supposed claims....that's why I'm trying to dig deeper and get this figured out. I've got the 3.5L TT in my 2019 Explorer Sport. That engine is amazing!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes a couple hundred dollars to get you 40HP is great. I don't disbelieve it is very easy to accomplish on any supercharged or turbocharged platform. I too use premium fuel. Please keep us posted! Believe it or not most aftermarket performance tunes will actually improve fuel molage. I have had two supercharged trucks and proper tuning has much improved performance and economy. The main thing is finding someone that has knowledge of the platform being tuned.
I will certainly keep you all posted and I couldn't agree more with your reply!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I worked @ ford assembly plant as a contractor when they came out with what I remember as a Mystique. Person driving one worked for ford. He said it was supercharged, I said I bet it really had the power. He said it did when it first come out, I asked what had changed. He said after about 30,ooo miles the transmissions were going out, so instead of beefing up tranny, they detuned the motor. I'm guessing the engineers are giving us all they power they can and still have it hang together (at least as long as the warranty)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with chucksbp. A tuner with a proper tune and a few aftermarket parts will help with gas mileage and performance. I have a tuner on my Excursion and it'll take that 8000lbs and get it going 100mph before I even hit the highway. And all the time people ask me, I bet the gas mileage sucks. It's actually way better than before. But also which goes along with Chuck, if your engine is know be be a weak engine, is it worth spending lots of money fixing blown head gaskets vs driving slow behind a truck for a little while? Everything in life is a balance. From reading what I have, I would save save the money you are going to spend on this project, keep the known unreliable weak engine (1.6 liter) in it's best possible running condition. Drive it until the wheels fall off, and use all that saved money on performance parts, tuning, a tuner and maintenance work that will inevitably happen, and buy yourself a nice car the next go around. But I have two almost adult children and they are always about "now now now", so whatever you choose to do, I hope it works out the best for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I worked @ ford assembly plant as a contractor when they came out with what I remember as a Mystique. Person driving one worked for ford. He said it was supercharged, I said I bet it really had the power. He said it did when it first come out, I asked what had changed. He said after about 30,ooo miles the transmissions were going out, so instead of beefing up tranny, they detuned the motor. I'm guessing the engineers are giving us all they power they can and still have it hang together (at least as long as the warranty)
Which I would agree with more on the 2.0L. But the 1.6/1.5 makes quite a bit less power so it should have more overhead to increase the power.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with chucksbp. A tuner with a proper tune and a few aftermarket parts will help with gas mileage and performance. I have a tuner on my Excursion and it'll take that 8000lbs and get it going 100mph before I even hit the highway. And all the time people ask me, I bet the gas mileage sucks. It's actually way better than before. But also which goes along with Chuck, if your engine is know be be a weak engine, is it worth spending lots of money fixing blown head gaskets vs driving slow behind a truck for a little while? Everything in life is a balance. From reading what I have, I would save save the money you are going to spend on this project, keep the known unreliable weak engine (1.6 liter) in it's best possible running condition. Drive it until the wheels fall off, and use all that saved money on performance parts, tuning, a tuner and maintenance work that will inevitably happen, and buy yourself a nice car the next go around. But I have two almost adult children and they are always about "now now now", so whatever you choose to do, I hope it works out the best for you.
I actually have the 1.5L so I don't think a little extra boost is going to be that much of an issue.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Is there an aftermarket chip or controller, that someone here has experience with, to bump up the boost during WOT situations that won't destroy the engine or am I left with having to make sure I have tons of room with no cars coming from a mile away?
ya, the only way is to get a real tuner like SCT or cobb accessport. you might luck out and find an off the shelf tune from a Fiesta, but likely will need a real dyno tune.

no cheap $200 "chip" or throttle resistor bauble or other ebay thingamajig will actually provide you what you're looking for.

and there is no free lunch. you run the real risk of grenading the engine. but if you have a smart tune that only turns up the wick near WOT, and you rarely step on it, then your escape might have a long life.

·
Super Moderator
1,718 Posts
My 2019 Escape SE with the 1.5L eco does ok from 0-60. Now when it comes to passing a tractor trailer on a 2 lane road it falls flat on its face and makes passing pretty much any vehicle quite a challenge.
Are you driving with the transmission in "S"? If you aren't, give that a try.

"D" drives like you're lugging a heavily loaded trailer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You may want to look at this site, appears they have some real experience with all the eco engines. They use the SCT tuning products which Fords seem to like. Looks like you can even get a used tuner to save a few bucks. All you need is the X4 Tuner, all the devices will install a tune all will data log some are fancier than others. Looks like you can get going for around $399 most places will give you one custom tune when you buy the equipment from them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts