2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new Motorcraft air filter for my 2015 FE 2.0. Upon attempting to install the filter it became very clear that it wasn't going to fit. It is the exact same part number as the original factory filter. It is made in Mexico as was the original. I was able to force it into the box but was unable to align the cover so the screws would match up. When holding the filters side by side, the new one is slightly longer. What I would like to know is since the part has the same number as the original why is this one a bit longer and not fitting in my car? I purposely bought the Motorcraft part to avoid any fitment issues. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Try putting the end nearest the fender in first where the notch is, then slip the other end onto the intake box. It takes some grunting sometimes. Your old filter is probably compressed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe you are correct, as the old filter appears to be compressed.
I will try putting the other end in first. But I'm not sure how that will help considering I had it in and properly seated.
I am open to any suggestions . Maybe putting it in the way you suggest will compress the new filter?
Just to clarify, my only problem is putting the top cover back on so the screws line up. I have some time because I put the old filter back in which only has a few bugs on it after 14,000 miles.

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes they are tight. Have you tried replacing yours yet?
I have already done it so the step by step, just confirms that I did follow the correct procedure .
I'm going to try a NAPA filter. I've heard that they are a better fit.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have already done it so the step by step, just confirms that I did follow the correct procedure .
I just did mine a few months ago. Everyone here says that it's a tight fit, but I don't think "tight" is a strong enough adjective. Honestly, I was surprised at just how much force I had to use to get the new filter to fit, but I eventually got it to seat properly and got the cover to seal properly. Took me about 15 minutes for a 2 minute job. Next time I'm going to try the NAPA filter. Moral of the story: It's just a simple filter swap, but you're REALLY gonna have to work for it on this vehicle with a Motorcraft filter.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much everyone.
This forum has worked the way a good forum should. Lots of different opinions, NOT really conflicting, but very helpful.
I'm a long time member of a Toyota forum and I'm making the transition to the new Ford Escape. And it is nice to know that I'm not alone
with some of the small problems it has.

I'm going to put the new filter in the closet for a year with something heavy on top of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I went with the AEM Dryflow filter (p/n AE-20993). It was snug, but the top popped on with just a little effort.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a Fram air filter and tried to install it and it would not fit. I figured out that the rubber ring woudn't compress. The new one was made of a very stiff rubber and the one on the old filter was a lot softer. So I took the new ring off and used the old one and the filter now fits correctly. Next time I change it I will look a filter with a softer rubber ring that will actually compress.
(Something I thought of afterwards was that you could try and apply some heat to the ring and see if it would make it softer. I had enough fun doing this the first time so I will not be taking it back apart to try this.)

·
Registered
883 Posts
They are actually easy to install. Looks at the old filter that was removed. The pleats aren't perfectly straight, the filter has been compressed slightly before installation.

I tried the brut force method to get in stalled that folks discussed.

I then looked at the old filter and placed it on a desk next to the new filter. The new filter was just a little longer, and the filter pleats were perfectly straight. I compressed the new filter very slightly. It now could easily be compressed and fit snugly into the air box. Went in very easily.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been getting the Motorcraft air filters from Amazon. I insert the (open) intake side first and then with the palm of my hand I gently but firmly push the closed end forward and then down until the lip fits in the groove. I then just move the top cover around until it drops into place on all sides. Takes a few tries but if you take a flashlight and look at each tab to make sure there is no gap before tightening the screws, you should be fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put in a Lifetime K&N air filter, it fits perfect, and I will NEVER EVER have to buy another filter, just clean it when dirty, they have a 1,000,000.0 mile warranty, against defects.

·
Super Moderator
5,526 Posts
I put in a Lifetime K&N air filter, it fits perfect, and I will NEVER EVER have to buy another filter, just clean it when dirty, they have a 1,000,000.0 mile warranty, against defects.

That's awesome for you. However; this thread is about how the Motorcraft filter is too long. There are other threads that discusses the K&N filter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got the Fram and, like many here, it was too long.

I was looking at photos of the Napa and looked at the Fram. There is an internal skeleton on both but the one on the Napa Gold doesn't go from top to bottom like the one on the Fram. I wonder if that makes some difference in the ability to compress the filter a bit to make it fit into the housing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
First thing I did when I brought home the 17 was discard the OEM filter and installed the K&N I removed from my 12 Focus. Tight fit but worked out perfectly. These OEM or aftermarket free flowing filters are all a tight fit. Align the back pin and push into the intake. Getting the cover on is more bother than fitting the filter. 15 minutes tops for install!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got the Napa Gold filter, 9014, and it fit fine.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The NAPA Gold filter works great !

After my 2014 Escape started running a bit rough at idle, I took a quick look at the air filter. Was dismayed to find the original filter from the factory still installed, even after having the oil changed religiously at my dealer ever since new, and having them state that they had checked the air filter in the checkout paperwork checklist !! It was pretty black, & obviously in need of a replacement.

After reading through all the posts here on the air filter, I bought a Napa Gold filter. It does not have the 'locating tab' at the closed end, but otherwise fit into the air box without much struggle at all. I checked the length by comparison with the original, & it was really very close to exactly the same length.

What was much more difficult was getting the cover of the air box to go back together. I took the new filter out, and that cover was as much of a struggle as it was with the filter installed. What I found to work for me was to put the closed end (toward the fender) slightly underneath the bottom part of the enclosure, hold it there, and then use that end as somewhat of a 'hinge' to close the left side (toward the engine). It finally closed properly (with filter installed, of course), and all the screws lined up perfectly.

On my 2014, I didn't have to remove the battery cover, nor move the wiring harness out of the way to get to the one screw closest to the battery. An 8mm socket on an extension just got in there to get to the fastener.

Afterwards, what a difference in engine idling. Amazing what a simple maintenance item did for it. Now, I just need to have a discussion with the Service Manager at my dealer as to why they didn't change this some time ago....25,000+ miles on an original filter is a bit too long. I need to pay closer attention to what they put on the checklists.

Just my $0.25 worth....

gfkdrobi

1 - 20 of 41 Posts