2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into brake fluid for my 2013 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0L. The Motorcraft DOT 4 LV stuff is overpriced and annoying to purchase.

What are you guys using for brake fluid? I ran across the Bosch ESI6-32N fluid, which seems better than OEM at half the price, but I'm probably missing some reason not to use it. Hopefully you have some suggestions, or I'll go to the dealer as a last resort like usual.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I looked up the prices and the Bosch fluid is about the same price as the Motorcraft stuff or the Motorcraft is a little more expensive but not double the price.

Saying this as long as the fluid is DOT 4 it should be okay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked up the prices and the Bosch fluid is about the same price as the Motorcraft stuff or the Motorcraft is a little more expensive but not double the price.

Saying this as long as the fluid is DOT 4 it should be okay.
My manual specifically calls for DOT 4 LV and not DOT 4. The LV is for lower viscosity. Something to do with better response from the ABS.
Also, not sure if we were looking at the same thing, but the Motorcraft bottle is half the size of the Bosch.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
OEM fluid all the way for me. Every 3 years isn’t so bad.

Reactions: Hitokiri

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
887 Posts
Cheapest place I can find Motorcraft DOT4 LV is Amazon strangely enough.

·
Registered
2017 Escape SE 2.0
32 Posts
Cheapest place I can find Motorcraft DOT4 LV is Amazon strangely enough.
You can try Rock Auto, looks to be cheapest place to me. Actually, all of the Motorcraft fluids that I have looked for are available on Rock Auto and as cheap as I can find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can try Rock Auto, looks to be cheapest place to me. Actually, all of the Motorcraft fluids that I have looked for are available on Rock Auto and as cheap as I can find.
RockAuto doesn't have the Motorcraft PM-20, but they do have Pentosin DOT 4 LV which is compatible. It's too bad Ford/Motorcraft is such a pain in the *** to deal with. You have to pay twice as much and go on a scavenger hunt to get parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For those interested, I went ahead and flushed my old brake fluid and replaced it with the Bosch ESI6-32N fluid. It's working great, and ended up being less than half the cost of the Motorcraft fluid. The specs are better than the Motorcraft stuff, but going from DOT 4 LV to Bosch is not enough that you would notice anything. I've got a relative with an older car that uses DOT 3 and it should be a big improvement there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts