2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a new 2017 Escape SE with the 1.5l engine (build date 6/16) with a problem that it looks like many of you would be jealous of. When I bought the car, the auto stop/start worked as advertised. It was mid-summer with the outside temp at 100f+, and the AC set to 74f. So I know that the stop/start will function even with the AC on and high temperatures outside.

Now, approximately 1 month into ownership the auto stop/start does not function at all at any time even in early morning or late evening when the temperature is lower than he AC setting. The grayed out setting does show on the dash when it should come on. There are no other issues with the car or warning lights of concern on the dash.

I did install a Curt hitch mount and about a week later the lighting kit. I was nowhere near the engine or other electronics or vacuum lines (yes, I read the manual to see what the stop/start criteria are). I have gone back over the installation areas and cannot see any pitched/damaged lines or any problems (it was an easy installation).

I’m a grocery getting, kid driving kind of guy so maximum fuel economy is kind of important to me, so I would like to fix this if possible.
Any advice on how to troubleshoot this problem would be appreciated. No service actions are noted in the online/maintenance “My Ford” account, not even the window reprogramming recall.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My concern is that the dealer would say I caused the issue somehow by installing the aftermarket parts/hitch. This is my first new car, I have heard stories about how they look any reason do deny possible claims.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can either fix it yourself, or take it to the dealer and he will either fix it for you or you can fix it yourself. I'm not trying to be a smartass, but you're not thinking straight. If you did nothing that would have affected the problem, you shouldn’t hesitate to hold Ford accountable. Do the dealer thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a screen in the driver cluster that shows info on the start/stop status and shows a message indicating why the start/stop isn't engaged. Perhaps check there and see what it says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 Ford Escape SE - Canada

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe I read the title wrong but if it is no longer not working then that means that it is now working? Anyway if not working check to see if the button on the center console is pressed or if Max AC is on or if the transmission is in Sport. All will not allow the stop/start feature to work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The auto stop/start is c\not current;y working at all. The dash will illuminate a grayed out icon when it should come on.

Under the information tab on the instrument cluster it say auto start/stop only, not on or off.

My center console button is off and I can function on (meaning that it illuminates that start/stop is off). I don't drive in sport mode.

I do drive with the AC on (it is still hot here) but not on Max AC. I have also tried driving at night/early morning with no AC to test that hypothesis.

I have not gone back to the dealer simply due to the fear that they would say that I added non OEM equipment to my car that "could have" caused the problem (but I can not see how it could have). I will talk to the dealer for an appointment on Tuesday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 17 that just started doing the same thing, Worked fine in the heat of summer here in NY but now with the cool mornings and evenings it's stopped working I'm do for service in 2000 miles so I'll have it looked at then. I haven't looked into it yet but saw this thread while looking into installing a sub in my SE and thought I'd comment.

·
Registered
120 Posts
From page 133 in the owners manual:

Enabling Auto StartStop
The system is automatically enabled every time you start your vehicle if the following conditions are met:
• The Auto StartStop button is not pressed (not illuminated).
• Your vehicle exceeds an initial speed of 3 mph (5 km/h) after the vehicle has been initially started.
• Your vehicle is stopped.
• Your foot is on the brake pedal.
• The transmission is in drive (D).
• The driver's door is closed.
• There is adequate brake vacuum.
• The interior compartment has been cooled or warmed to an acceptable level.
• The front windshield defroster is off.
• The steering wheel is not turned rapidly or is not at a sharp angle.
• The vehicle is not on a steep road grade.
• The battery is within optimal operating conditions (battery state of charge and temperature in range).
• The engine coolant is at operating temperature.
• Elevation is below approximately 10,000 ft (3,048 m).
• Ambient temperature is moderate.

Maybe one or more of these conditions aren't being met?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've gone through the checklist in the manual and the only thing I can not check or verify is the brake vacuum system. It just plain is not working anymore.

I got to the dealer today for my scheduled appointment, and the dealership repair facility was closed. So it might be a while until I can get back in. Thanks for the feedback and help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the trailer hitch wiring? The harness might be creating a draw that would trick the Auto Start/Stop into thinking the battery needed to be charged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update.

The dealer verified that the start/stop is not working when it should, and there is no computer codes, programming or wiring problems that they could find. At this point they stated that they are going to send all the diagnostic data to Ford and find out what the next step should be. They said as soon as Friday I might be back for a new computer or further Ford assisted troubleshooting if they come up with the answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick update.

Back in the shop all day today. They ran the Ford recommended tests and a few others. Still no answers. The service manager stated that it looks like things are pointing to the PCM (the cars main computer). I hopefully will know more next week.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Quick update.

Back in the shop all day today. They ran the Ford recommended tests and a few others. Still no answers. The service manager stated that it looks like things are pointing to the PCM (the cars main computer). I hopefully will know more next week.

Ok. Ironically I now have the same problem! (I hadn't yet experienced the problem when I previously responded above!)

I dropped off my escape at the dealership a month ago for service- TSB for auto start/stop PCM software upgrade, and an issue with my backup camera. Auto start/stop always worked.

I picked up my escape yesterday and now auto start/stop never stops the engine. Whenever I come to a stop, the grayed-out icon displays.

I was thinking it might be due to the PCM software upgrade. Dealership is supposed to call me back Monday for follow up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back to the shop for the third time, the dealer is keeping it until they figure something out. I give my local dealer credit, they are trying, and Ford appears to be trying too. It appears that nobody has seen this problem before.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fixed.

I got a call from the dealer about closing time. They said after everything they did, what they had to do was disconnect the battery and touch the two battery wires together for 2-3 minutes and then everything just worked. I do not know if that was a Ford recommended action or just a Hail Mary attempt by the dealership, but it worked.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Fixed.

I got a call from the dealer about closing time. They said after everything they did, what they had to do was disconnect the battery and touch the two battery wires together for 2-3 minutes and then everything just worked. I do not know if that was a Ford recommended action or just a Hail Mary attempt by the dealership, but it worked.
Great old trick. I remember doing that years ago on PCs that would refuse to boot. Modern cars are so computerized, it makes sense (to me).

1 - 20 of 160 Posts