2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Original battery. In service 11-2017. Drove it right after I took it off the charger. Into dealer this coming Monday.

Still under the 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 2018 Escape is going to dealer tomorrow same problem S/S worked fine then this February it stopped with the exception of two days that it all of a sudden started to work and now stopped again. Dealer said first thing they will check is battery. Really doesn't seem worth having the feature. I wish you could disable it permanently.
See this.

Start / Stop Eliminator (17-19 Escape)

Reactions: Tanat

·
Registered
88 Posts
An update to my issue. I took the wife's 2018 Escape Titanium into the dealer yesterday to get to the bottom of the start/stop problem.

They check for codes first and found none. They charged the battery for a couple of hours and found it was at only 46% capacity. Battery failed. They replaced the battery under the 3/36K warranty.

Since the battery was replaced under warranty, it's only warranted till the 3 year/ 36K warranty expires in November of this year.

But it's good to have a new battery, something she doesn't have to worry about failing down the road for awhile.

I've had a few batteries that were good 1 day and dead the next with no sign of failing. Not sure if the AGM's act the same way. Being under the hood, heat is a killer for battery longevity. Seems it's hard to get 3 years out of a battery anymore.

I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the original AGM battery, but it's located under the passenger seat out of the heat.

The only sign of a battery problem in the Escape was the start/stop issue. The car always started fine with no signs of it failing. Rep said the start/stop issues are 90% battery problems.

·
Registered
2019 Escape Titanium 2.0L
54 Posts
Fixed.

I got a call from the dealer about closing time. They said after everything they did, what they had to do was disconnect the battery and touch the two battery wires together for 2-3 minutes and then everything just worked. I do not know if that was a Ford recommended action or just a Hail Mary attempt by the dealership, but it worked.
Did they make sure they danced on their right foot under a full moon, holding their left earlobe in their right hand, turning clockwise (counter-clockwise in the southern hemisphere) for EXACTLY 7.3498 seconds?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!! Bear with me if I am posting this in the wrong forum... I am a brand new ford owner so I am new to this page.
Have had a lot of issues with my fan continuously running even when the vehicle was off, had to get it looked at for quite some time as it was killing my vehicle, affecting the auto start/stop, etc.

I ended up getting the relays replaced and it seemed to do the trick, but once again my auto start/stop has quit working. I did some research and I know length of time of idle, outdoor temp, battery life, temp of the engine are all factors but it does not work regardless.

Anyone have some guidance for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It usually quits because the battery is not fully charged but not necessarily faulty.
Do you drive the car regularly of have a lot of short trips?
If so, when you take a longer journey of 30 or 40 miles or so see if the stop/start functions again as the battery needs to be fully charged for stop/start and some other technology to function properly.

This has happened to many others here including me who have not used their cars regularly in these Covid times. ;)

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Registered
2 Posts
It usually quits because the battery is not fully charged but not necessarily faulty.
Do you drive the car regularly of have a lot of short trips?
If so, when you take a longer journey of 30 or 40 miles or so see if the stop/start functions again as the battery needs to be fully charged for stop/start and some other technology to function properly.

This has happened to many others here including me who have not used their cars regularly in these Covid times. ;)
Wow thank you!! Never thought of this to be honest.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,378 Posts
Hi!! Bear with me if I am posting this in the wrong forum... I am a brand new ford owner so I am new to this page.
Have had a lot of issues with my fan continuously running even when the vehicle was off, had to get it looked at for quite some time as it was killing my vehicle, affecting the auto start/stop, etc.

I ended up getting the relays replaced and it seemed to do the trick, but once again my auto start/stop has quit working. I did some research and I know length of time of idle, outdoor temp, battery life, temp of the engine are all factors but it does not work regardless.

Anyone have some guidance for me? Thanks!
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same topic.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Wow thank you!! Never thought of this to be honest.
My assessment is that the SOC must be 70% or greater for s/s to work. As stated, it is easy to not get enough time for recharge. Also, older batteries do not hold the same charge as new ones.

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,888 Posts
My assessment is that the SOC must be 70% or greater for s/s to work.
For others, that can be checked using ForScan. You'll get the actual percentage State of Charge reading that the Body Control Module has calculated.

·
Registered
427 Posts
For others, that can be checked using ForScan. You'll get the actual percentage State of Charge reading that the Body Control Module has calculated.
It'd be nice if Ford would put that in the Driver Information Display.

·
Registered
2017 Red Escape Titanium 1.5L w/Sport Appearance Pkg
56 Posts
If you pull up Battery State of Charge in ForScan, also add Battery Voltage and Current.

If your battery is fading like mine was, you can have 70% SOC, a battery voltage of 14.40V, and yet it is only accepting 1A of charge rather than 20 like a battery in good condition.

BTW, I can verify by direct observation that the Start/Stop will not function below 70% (it sets a flag Forscan can monitor) and that the charge control system dials back the alternator voltage to maintain charge around 80%.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
If you pull up Battery State of Charge in ForScan, also add Battery Voltage and Current.

If your battery is fading like mine was, you can have 70% SOC, a battery voltage of 14.40V, and yet it is only accepting 1A of charge rather than 20 like a battery in good condition.

BTW, I can verify by direct observation that the Start/Stop will not function below 70% (it sets a flag Forscan can monitor) and that the charge control system dials back the alternator voltage to maintain charge around 80%.
Thanks for the detailed information. I deduced the same using a Carista Bluetooth adapter and an iPhone app over a period of time. I also appreciate the details on the reduced charging. The battery on my 2018 seems to be the same as you are describing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
At 3224 miles, my vehicle would not start one morning. After several day at the local Ford dealership, to await an appointment date, they determined that the battery (12 volt) was dead. Cleared codes, re-charged the battery without a clue as to why this happened.
Therefore, I am not confident that this will cure the issue for good.
Any thoughts?
Along the same lines I purchased my 2019 escape titanium turbo in December of 2019. The start stop feature worked for about a month and then it didn't. I took the car back to the dealer and they put in a new battery. The start stop feature worked up until 2 months ago. I just brought the car in in December for a yearly oil change at 2,056 miles at which time I asked them to check out the auto start stop and why it isn't working. I picked up the car and was told I don't drive it enough to charge the battery which start stop feature needs. And I would have to put the battery on a trickle charge to keep it at optimum level so the start stop feature would work. that means I would have to drive my car more than I want to just to ensure the battery is at optimum charge. Never heard of such a thing. The escape is not my only vehicle and I really don't drive my car other than around town. Furthermore it's a little difficult charging the battery when the positive terminal is inaccessible. Since the car is still under warranty I have requested a new battery but that in itself has created a problem because I was advised by the dealer they are on back order. I am disappointed that this vehicle and others like it are experiencing such problems and inconveniencing the owners. I question the pride in workmanship.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Along the same lines I purchased my 2019 escape titanium turbo in December of 2019. The start stop feature worked for about a month and then it didn't. I took the car back to the dealer and they put in a new battery. The start stop feature worked up until 2 months ago. I just brought the car in in December for a yearly oil change at 2,056 miles at which time I asked them to check out the auto start stop and why it isn't working. I picked up the car and was told I don't drive it enough to charge the battery which start stop feature needs. And I would have to put the battery on a trickle charge to keep it at optimum level so the start stop feature would work. that means I would have to drive my car more than I want to just to ensure the battery is at optimum charge. Never heard of such a thing. The escape is not my only vehicle and I really don't drive my car other than around town. Furthermore it's a little difficult charging the battery when the positive terminal is inaccessible. Since the car is still under warranty I have requested a new battery but that in itself has created a problem because I was advised by the dealer they are on back order. I am disappointed that this vehicle and others like it are experiencing such problems and inconveniencing the owners. I question the pride in workmanship.
Your dealer is correct in saying the stop/start feature will not work unless the battery is at it's optimum charge. If you do not drive the vehicle much or only take short trips you are probably wise to put the battery on a trickle charger as advised.
Many modern cars these days need the battery to be fully charged for all the current technology to work properly, not only Fords.
You do not have to access the negative terminal under the cowl to attach the charger as there is an extension to it under a bolt on the firewall or suspension tower.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,378 Posts
I moved your post here as the post you replied in was for the 2020 Hybrid Escape

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
2,888 Posts
Furthermore it's a little difficult charging the battery when the positive terminal is inaccessible.
The positive is the accessible terminal at the front of the battery. The negative/ earth is the hidden/ hard to access terminal BUT you should not be connecting a battery charger directly to it. The correct way to charge the battery is to connect the positive to the battery and the negative charge lead to the earth stud on the suspension tower (in the engine bay.) You'll see the large black negative battery cable is connected to it. Connecting it that way ensures the BMS (Battery Monitoring System) will log the charge current flowing to the battery. Your start/ stop should kick into action sooner if you charge it that way.

Keep getting new batteries under warranty while you can. Then live with the fact it's unlikely to work given your vehicle usage. Buying a maintenance charger (eg. the CTek MXS 5.0 is a good one) will not only help your start stop system work but also prolong the life of your battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is a new to us 2017 SE. The menu in the dash as well as the button near the radio indiciate that auto start/stop is on, but from what I can tell it never stops at red lights, or going through drive throughs or anything like that. Am I misunderstanding the feature, or is it possible it was disabled via forscan? I know some people don't like the feature, I just want to know if somethings wrong. We like the escape so far, it's got the sport appearance package which brings a lot of cool features to the SE trim.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is a new to us 2017 SE. The menu in the dash as well as the button near the radio indiciate that auto start/stop is on, but from what I can tell it never stops at red lights, or going through drive throughs or anything like that. Am I misunderstanding the feature, or is it possible it was disabled via forscan? I know some people don't like the feature, I just want to know if somethings wrong. We like the escape so far, it's got the sport appearance package which brings a lot of cool features to the SE trim.
I have a 2017 and mine quit working recently. I have the original battery, so I believe it is because the system has the battery level below what is required to allow the stop/start feature to work. In my case I'm fine with that, since I turned it off every time I started the car. I only turned it back on when I was at an intersection with a long light.

John
2017 Escape SE AWD 2.0L

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I'm not super concerned, just curious if I should look into anything since I just bought it this weekend. If I can tell it's just a battery issue I won't even worry about it.

181 - 200 of 211 Posts