2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

201 - 220 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
817 Posts
What are your climate settings set at?
If the temp is higher that what the system believes it can delivered stopped it will not turn off the engine.
Another thing to look at is your battery, bad or weak battery disables the functionality since the system knows it has to have enough battery to restart the engine.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Do you have the Owners Manual? it lists several conditions, any one or more will prevent the Auto Start/Stop from working. Most all are normal functions that occur in day in day out driving.
A few common ones that will prevent the car shutting off:
  • Accesory plugged into one of the 12v sockets. Phone charger, dash cam, GPS etc
  • Battery state of charge below factory set voltage. common when driven infrequently and/or mostly short trips.
  • Defroster, defroster/heat blend selected. When above freezing, the AC runs to help absorb moisture in the interior
  • Steering wheel turned. if the steering wheel is not straight ahead or turned more than a few degrees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What are your climate settings set at?
If the temp is higher that what the system believes it can delivered stopped it will not turn off the engine.
Another thing to look at is your battery, bad or weak battery disables the functionality since the system knows it has to have enough battery to restart the engine.
Interesting, I had it set around 68-70, but it's cold out. If the battery were weak would the auto start/stop status in the dash menu say that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you have the Owners Manual? it lists several conditions, any one or more will prevent the Auto Start/Stop from working. Most all are normal functions that occur in day in day out driving.
A few common ones that will prevent the car shutting off:
  • Accesory plugged into one of the 12v sockets. Phone charger, dash cam, GPS etc
  • Battery state of charge below factory set voltage. common when driven infrequently and/or mostly short trips.
  • Defroster, defroster/heat blend selected. When above freezing, the AC runs to help absorb moisture in the interior
  • Steering wheel turned. if the steering wheel is not straight ahead or turned more than a few degrees.
Wow thanks, I guess I didn't realize it takes all that into account! I definitely need to dive into the owners manual, surprisingly it still had one in the glove box on the used lot.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wow thanks, I guess I didn't realize it takes all that into account! I definitely need to dive into the owners manual, surprisingly it still had one in the glove box on the used lot.
If the S/S is off because of a condition, the only message you get is "Auto Start Stop off because of normal operation," nothing specific. It's in the instrument cluster under Information .

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Along the same lines I purchased my 2019 escape titanium turbo in December of 2019. The start stop feature worked for about a month and then it didn't. I took the car back to the dealer and they put in a new battery. The start stop feature worked up until 2 months ago. I just brought the car in in December for a yearly oil change at 2,056 miles at which time I asked them to check out the auto start stop and why it isn't working. I picked up the car and was told I don't drive it enough to charge the battery which start stop feature needs. And I would have to put the battery on a trickle charge to keep it at optimum level so the start stop feature would work. that means I would have to drive my car more than I want to just to ensure the battery is at optimum charge. Never heard of such a thing. The escape is not my only vehicle and I really don't drive my car other than around town. Furthermore it's a little difficult charging the battery when the positive terminal is inaccessible. Since the car is still under warranty I have requested a new battery but that in itself has created a problem because I was advised by the dealer they are on back order. I am disappointed that this vehicle and others like it are experiencing such problems and inconveniencing the owners. I question the pride in workmanship.
The primary issue IMO is what the dealer told you. The battery SOC must be at at least 70% for S/S to work. I am retired and don’t drive my car as much. Combine that with Covid and the miles driven have gone down further. This is the nature of lead acid batteries. An AGM battery may give you somewhat better response but then how does it fit with the car’s computer algorithms? Also, many folks may not be aware of the required BMS reset on a battery change.

Reactions: chrisgb

·
Registered
462 Posts
The primary issue IMO is what the dealer told you. The battery SOC must be at at least 70% for S/S to work. I am retired and don’t drive my car as much. Combine that with Covid and the miles driven have gone down further. This is the nature of lead acid batteries. An AGM battery may give you somewhat better response but then how does it fit with the car’s computer algorithms? Also, many folks may not be aware of the required BMS reset on a battery change.
Ford ought to put a sticker or banner on the negative cable e.g. "Warning: Battery Management System must be reset after new battery is installed." Put it right on the cable like those annoying tags they put on extension cords.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Unless you were a member of the Kuga or Escape forum you wouldn't be aware of the BMS reset. Not sure if it says anything in the handbook but who reads those these days unless you want to know where the fuses are or replace a bulb.

It has been speculated recently on the UK forum that the BMS will reset itself after a couple of weeks or so. Not sure if this true and don't have anything to back it up but does makes some sort of sense if Ford are keeping it low key by not putting any warnings on the battery etc. We have a Vauxhall Mokka with stop/start which I am not sure if it's sold in the states but it has an AGM battery. No BMS to reset on this vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Ford ought to put a sticker or banner on the negative cable e.g. "Warning: Battery Management System must be reset after new battery is installed." Put it right on the cable like those annoying tags they put on extension cords.
agree. Many posters have said the same thing on previous posts here on the same topic.

·
Registered
462 Posts
We have a Vauxhall Mokka with stop/start which I am not sure if it's sold in the states but it has an AGM battery. No BMS to reset on this vehicle.
It's sold as the Buick Encore and Chevrolet Trax in North America, for those that may have one.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape SE AWD 2.0 Ecoboost
25 Posts
Hey everyone. So the past couple nights at work, I noticed maybe once a shift or once every other shift when I go to start my car to do a patrol (Security), the car starts, the rpms will dip down and the car will shudder a tiny bit and for a split second, an error message displays saying "Auto start stop malfunction. Manual restart required". The car does not actually turn off all the way, and the message appears when I'm starting the car with the key, after I manually turned it off. Recently the Auto start stop has just ceased to work at all. It used to kick in all the time. Anyone experienced this?

I do run a white/amber security light bar off the battery when it's off, so is it maybe dropping the voltage down so low that the car is confused for a split second, and then once the alternator starts running the rpms come back up and it's okay? Aside from the start stop system not working at all when it's running. I don't use the start stop feature hardly ever, but any time the system does not work properly I get extremely concerned. I've already spent $7400 in out of pocket repairs on the car and im extremely anxious continuing to drive it.

Any insight is appreciated

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Running your security light off the car battery when parked is the problem.
You only need to discharge the battery a little for the stop/start system to go haywire and other technology can also be affected.
Perhaps you need a security light with it's own battery source.

Quirks of modern cars... :p .

Reactions: ajef7885

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Battery is nearly 4 years old. How many miles on car? Have you checked battery connections for corrosion? Likely time to replace battery

·
Registered
25 Posts
Battery is nearly 4 years old. How many miles on car? Have you checked battery connections for corrosion? Likely time to replace battery
Car has 68900 on it. The positive post is clean, but I have not looked at the negative post due to its location. I bought a new battery for it today, but haven't replaced it yet due to needing my car for work, and having to let the car sit for 8 hours for the BMS reset. I would have thought that after running for a bit, the auto start stop would have started working again when the alternator charges the battery up, but it just never works nowadays lol. Hopefully the battery fixes the issue

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Car has 68900 on it. The positive post is clean, but I have not looked at the negative post due to its location. I bought a new battery for it today, but haven't replaced it yet due to needing my car for work, and having to let the car sit for 8 hours for the BMS reset. I would have thought that after running for a bit, the auto start stop would have started working again when the alternator charges the battery up, but it just never works nowadays lol. Hopefully the battery fixes the issue
To my knowledge allowing the car to sit for 8 hours will not reset the BMS regardless of what you may have read. It needs to be done by a dealer or Forscan.

Also you may have to drive the car 30 miles or more for the battery to charge enough for the stop/start system to recommence working depending on the condition of the battery.

In any case your new battery should solve the problem but you may continue to have a problem if you keep a security light plugged in with the engine off for some time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To my knowledge allowing the car to sit for 8 hours will not reset the BMS regardless of what you may have read. It needs to be done by a dealer or Forscan.

Also you may have to drive the car 30 miles or more for the battery to charge enough for the stop/start system to recommence working depending on the condition of the battery.

In any case your new battery should solve the problem but you may continue to have a problem if you keep a security light plugged in with the engine off for some time.
Shoot. Okay. I had read on an F150 forum that allowing the car to sit for 8 hours did it. With what you know of the cars, do you think I can swap the battery out and then take it to have the BMS reset? I'd just really rather not pay the dealer to install the battery since it's such a pain in the 3rd gen E's....

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Shoot. Okay. I had read on an F150 forum that allowing the car to sit for 8 hours did it. With what you know of the cars, do you think I can swap the battery out and then take it to have the BMS reset? I'd just really rather not pay the dealer to install the battery since it's such a pain in the 3rd gen E's....
Yes, I think you could do that but it may be wise to ring them and ask them first.

You can google various ways to reset it yourself without Forscan by pressing various buttons etc. but not sure if they work. One example here that might be worth trying after you install the battery:-

Leaving it sit for 8 hours allows the BMS to learn the battery state of charge but does not reset the days in service to extend the life of the battery which can later affect some technology if it is not reset because the 'system' will still 'think' the old battery is still there.. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, I think you could do that but it may be wise to ring them and ask them first.

You can google various ways to reset it yourself without Forscan by pressing various buttons etc. but not sure if they work. One example here that might be worth trying after you install the battery:-

Leaving it sit for 8 hours allows the BMS to learn the battery state of charge but does not reset the days in service to extend the life of the battery which can later affect some technology if it is not reset because the 'system' will still 'think' the old battery is still there.. ;)
Very interesting. I made an appointment with my mechanic who has a ford scan tool to replace the battery. Don't want to risk messing any of the systems up. Greatly appreciate your help, my friend!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
No problem....please let us know later if your stop/start system returns ok. :p

201 - 220 of 267 Posts