2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

221 - 240 of 267 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,513 Posts
Hey everyone. So the past couple nights at work, I noticed maybe once a shift or once every other shift when I go to start my car to do a patrol (Security), the car starts, the rpms will dip down and the car will shudder a tiny bit and for a split second, an error message displays saying "Auto start stop malfunction. Manual restart required". The car does not actually turn off all the way, and the message appears when I'm starting the car with the key, after I manually turned it off. Recently the Auto start stop has just ceased to work at all. It used to kick in all the time. Anyone experienced this?

I do run a white/amber security light bar off the battery when it's off, so is it maybe dropping the voltage down so low that the car is confused for a split second, and then once the alternator starts running the rpms come back up and it's okay? Aside from the start stop system not working at all when it's running. I don't use the start stop feature hardly ever, but any time the system does not work properly I get extremely concerned. I've already spent $7400 in out of pocket repairs on the car and im extremely anxious continuing to drive it.

Any insight is appreciated
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same topic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got a 2017 Escape Titanium 2.0. The start stop doesn't function. I get the circle with the slash on the info screen. I think that the previous owner had it disabled. I am not complaining because I think it's a PITA and my wife probably would think the car stalled every time she stopped. If I hit the disable button it says that I have manually disabled it.
I'm not sure if I should bring it to the dealers attention or just leave it alone. The car drives great and the battery checks out at 12V off and 14.5 idling. It cranks vigorously when starting and has no warnings other than the disabled notification on the info screen.
Advice Please.
Thanks Paul

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,513 Posts
I just got a 2017 Escape Titanium 2.0. The start stop doesn't function. I get the circle with the slash on the info screen. I think that the previous owner had it disabled. I am not complaining because I think it's a PITA and my wife probably would think the car stalled every time she stopped. If I hit the disable button it says that I have manually disabled it.
I'm not sure if I should bring it to the dealers attention or just leave it alone. The car drives great and the battery checks out at 12V off and 14.5 idling. It cranks vigorously when starting and has no warnings other than the disabled notification on the info screen.
Advice Please.
Thanks Paul
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same topic. Have a look at the email the posts for some possible help.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
It certainly sounds like the previous owner disabled it permanently. Is there any way you can contact the previous owner either personally or through the dealer if you bought it there to confirm?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Advice Please.
Thanks Paul
Your Owner's Manual lists about a dozen normal conditions that will prevent the Auto Start/Stop from functioning.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Went to the drive through today for fish and chips and whilst in the queue, stop/start working at zero degrees celsius (32F) outside, lights on auto, heater on 24 degrees celsius (75), A/C on, medium fan speed and dash cam plugged in. 10 minute drive home with some speeds in excess of 60mph, stop start wouldn't work when I got home. I try not to let it bother me.

There is the ability to turn off stop start using Forscan which is maybe what the previous owner has done.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape SE AWD 2.0 Ecoboost
24 Posts
No problem....please let us know later if your stop/start system returns ok. :p
So I got my battery replaced today. It was the original battery. Auto start stop did activate one time, but is still far less frequent than usual. Not really a problem to me now, as long as I know there is nothing else wrong with the system and it's probably just not meeting all the parameters to operate.

I did ask all 3 ford dealerships in my area about the BMS reset and they all said it would relearn on its own since my battery never "died". They mentioned ford made an automatic relearn procedure after 2016. I don't know how to verify this, but all three dealerships said the same thing. They are also all independently owned so I guess I'll just leave it be and see what happens.

I'm still vary wary of the car and will have to put some miles on it before I really trust it again. Realistically the only thing left to go out is the torque converter. So I'm hoping those are more reliable than the rest of the car has been haha!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,017 Posts
I did ask all 3 ford dealerships in my area about the BMS reset and they all said it would relearn on its own since my battery never "died". They mentioned ford made an automatic relearn procedure after 2016. I don't know how to verify this, but all three dealerships said the same thing. They are also all independently owned so I guess I'll just leave it be and see what happens.
If you've got the gear to run ForScan check to see if there is a "Days in Service" value for the battery in the BCM/ BMS section. Past history has shown many dealers know virtually nothing about these systems!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine only works the first day after I've run it. I've had 2 long freeway type trips since I got my '17 in August and the day or so after I notice it working, but then just doesn't. The battery has had no hesitation in this colder winter, but I have yet to get the charge checked.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape SE AWD 2.0 Ecoboost
24 Posts
If you've got the gear to run ForScan check to see if there is a "Days in Service" value for the battery in the BCM/ BMS section. Past history has shown many dealers know virtually nothing about these systems!
My buddy is getting a forscan adapter in a couple days so I'll borrow it and check it out. After about 20 mils of driving after the battery replacement, the Auto/Start stop is now working like new. The battery that came out of the car was the original battery.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
My buddy is getting a forscan adapter in a couple days so I'll borrow it and check it out. After about 20 mils of driving after the battery replacement, the Auto/Start stop is now working like new. The battery that came out of the car was the original battery.
Yep..as mentioned earlier the battery has to be at full charge for the stop/start feature to work and that was obviously proven by your recent 20 mile trip.
Between you and your buddy you can certainly check the days in service of the new battery with Forscan and reset the BMS if necessary because as Murcod indicated many dealers probably think the BMS is some sort of women's complaint.. :p

·
Super Moderator
3,017 Posts
The number of people on Kuga/ Escape forums that are replacing batteries purely because Stop/ Start isn't working is concerning. The battery would most likely have kept starting the vehicle fine for a long time. A few have also posted after a couple of months the same Stop/ Start problem returns!

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
93 Posts
The only reason I replaced the battery was because it was covered under warranty just before the 3 year/ 36000 miles time frame.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Yep..as mentioned earlier the battery has to be at full charge for the stop/start feature to work and that was obviously proven by your recent 20 mile trip.
Between you and your buddy you can certainly check the days in service of the new battery with Forscan and reset the BMS if necessary because as Murcod indicated many dealers probably think the BMS is some sort of women's complaint.. :p
My studies show that the battery SOC must be at 80 percent or higher .

·
Super Moderator
3,017 Posts
The only reason I replaced the battery was because it was covered under warranty just before the 3 year/ 36000 miles time frame.
Keep doing that while you can, then live with it not working. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I really don't care whether it works or not. It's my wife's car and she hates it. Even now with the new battery, some days it works, some days not.

·
Super Moderator
3,017 Posts
Sorry, the rolling eyes where directed at Ford's crappy system. If it was me I'd be turning it off most of the time as I don't drive in heavy traffic jams.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I hear you. So many parameters needed to make this work. Just wish it would remember what position it was in at the next start.

·
Super Moderator
3,017 Posts
Just wish it would remember what position it was in at the next start.
Put the trans in "S" and it apparently locks out Stop/ Start.

221 - 240 of 267 Posts