241 - 260 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is another option.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Regarding the S/S in a 2017 1.5L Escape....

Mine worked for about a year, I make short trips around town and it still worked fine. Then one day it just stopped. Ford dealer wanted to charge me $100 bucks to find out why...no thanks. Then I had the engine replaced due to coolant leaking and destroying the engine (like so many poor Ford owners)...and still no S/S feature. I just had the battery replaced (original) at 80k miles and it still doesn't work. The only thing I can say is that my battery outlived the engine in my 2017 Escape. At least it was a decent battery :) Now, it seems to have a weird feeling in the suspension...like the shocks are bad....it feels like it's going to fall apart when going over speed bumps.

I am worried every day that my vehicle is going to have major repairs around the corner. I have NEVER had this many problems with a 4 year old vehicle...

Do I trade this thing in and cut my losses OR is the worst behind me? I now have 82k miles.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Regarding the S/S in a 2017 1.5L Escape....

Mine worked for about a year, I make short trips around town and it still worked fine. Then one day it just stopped. Ford dealer wanted to charge me $100 bucks to find out why...no thanks. Then I had the engine replaced due to coolant leaking and destroying the engine (like so many poor Ford owners)...and still no S/S feature. I just had the battery replaced (original) at 80k miles and it still doesn't work. The only thing I can say is that my battery outlived the engine in my 2017 Escape. At least it was a decent battery :) Now, it seems to have a weird feeling in the suspension...like the shocks are bad....it feels like it's going to fall apart when going over speed bumps.

I am worried every day that my vehicle is going to have major repairs around the corner. I have NEVER had this many problems with a 4 year old vehicle...

Do I trade this thing in and cut my losses OR is the worst behind me? I now have 82k miles.
1. Was the BMS reset when the battery was changed?
2. Do you now do less driving or shorter trips as this may lessen the rate of battery charge thus resulting in the stop/start feature not working?
3. You need to get the suspension checked by your dealer or a mechanic.

These are basically good cars and I would not give up on it yet.. :)

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
20 Posts
1. Was the BMS reset when the battery was changed?
2. Do you now do less driving or shorter trips as this may lessen the rate of battery charge thus resulting in the stop/start feature not working?
3. You need to get the suspension checked by your dealer or a mechanic.

These are basically good cars and I would not give up on it yet.. :)
Well...good news regarding the S/S function on my 2017 Escape! I called the shop that installed the battery and told them what I had learned here on the forum. They reset the BMS this morning and the S/S is now working!!
One interesting and confusing point is that 4 different shops (including 2 Ford dealerships) couldn't figure this out. They all wanted to charge me a min of $100 to check the S/S function. Shouldn't this be common knowledge? Are the dealerships so hard up that they would charge me $100 to tell me something I learned for free on this forum?

Thanks for the info everyone, I will check here before trusting my local Ford shop from now on...so pathetic :(

wizo43....I will hang on to it for awhile, I do like the car! Thanks again....

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,017 Posts
They reset the BMS this morning and the S/S is now working!!
That's an interesting outcome. Thanks for posting up the info.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Well...good news regarding the S/S function on my 2017 Escape! I called the shop that installed the battery and told them what I had learned here on the forum. They reset the BMS this morning and the S/S is now working!!
One interesting and confusing point is that 4 different shops (including 2 Ford dealerships) couldn't figure this out. They all wanted to charge me a min of $100 to check the S/S function. Shouldn't this be common knowledge? Are the dealerships so hard up that they would charge me $100 to tell me something I learned for free on this forum?

Thanks for the info everyone, I will check here before trusting my local Ford shop from now on...so pathetic :(

Thanks for reply...the problem is many Ford dealers would not know a BMS from a FWD.
They know what a Ford Escape is and how much they can sell it for but that's about it... :rolleyes: .

Just for info/interest the reason the stop/start function stopped working with the old battery was that the S/S feature needs the battery to be fully charged to operate and your old battery was probably on the way out.
When the new battery was fitted the BMS needs to be reset to 'tell' the technology/computer that it now has a new battery and to reset the battery days in service back to zero otherwise the system still 'thinks' it has the old battery which is not fully charged so some technology like the stop/start system will still not work.
I hope this makes sense... :LOL: .

Reactions: azyogi

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts

When I had the battery replaced at the Ford dealer back in 2016 for my 2013, I came armed with a printout of the WSM pages just in case. The service guy knew nothing about BMS reset but I thought the battery guy might. I was wrong and he came into the customer waiting area asking me about it. I told him I was the one that should be asking the question. I am pretty sure they flashed the BCM and the BMS got changed in the process. I pitched a fit when they wanted to charge me more. BOTTOM LINE: I am not surprised. Just had the battery replaced on my 2018 last week. They knew the procedure but failed to reset it until I caught it on my iPhone monitor before I left the dealer. Only took a couple of minutes but I was/am hacked that it was not done. BOTTOM LINE: not sure anyone can be trusted and expect what you inspect. Aka “Trust but verify”.

·
Registered
7 Posts

How do you reset the S/S??

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Dumb question I know, but what is a BMS?
Battery monitoring system. Measures via algorithms and sensors the state and health of the battery and allows the car’s computers to adjust battery use and charging to optimize battery life and energy efficiency. It tells the alternator when and how much to charge the battery. That is why if it is not reset on battery change it will charge your brand new battery like it is old and can lead to electrical issues.

Reactions: Bigsarge

·
Registered
20 Posts
How do you reset the S/S??
As the other folks have said....it can be done after a battery change. Mine wasn't done by the shop (Firestone) as they hadn't ever heard of needing to do the reset on an Escape. I went back about a month after the new battery was installed and they reset the BMS at no charge :) It still doesn't work very often, but comes on once and awhile. I do mostly short trips in the city (under 5 or 10 miles). My 2017 Escape 1.5L does seem to be running better after the reset....maybe it affects other things as well. I'm sure the folks here could fill us in on that....good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Battery monitoring system. Measures via algorithms and sensors the state and health of the battery and allows the car’s computers to adjust battery use and charging to optimize battery life and energy efficiency. It tells the alternator when and how much to charge the battery. That is why if it is not reset on battery change it will charge your brand new battery like it is old and can lead to electrical issues.
Can you not reset the BMS yourself or does the dealership have to do it? Looks like they would have reset it after having to put in a new short block

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,513 Posts
Can you not reset the BMS yourself or does the dealership have to do it? Looks like they would have reset it after having to put in a new short block
Please search the forum for “DIY Battery Management System Reset”. There is a lot of information in that thread that can help you with this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also had a new short block put in a year ago...they did not reset the BMS. They wanted to charge me an additional $100 to check the S/S system.They claimed that the S/S had nothing to do with the engine. I thought they would have done me a favor by checking it for free, since it was in the shop for one month getting the engine repaired. Nope :(
Maybe try an auto parts store? Napa, Auto Zone?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,017 Posts
I also had a new short block put in a year ago...they did not reset the BMS.
That would be the correct thing to do- they were right to not reset it.

If the battery isn't new then don't reset the BMS "Days in Service."

Reactions: azyogi

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Two ways that I know of to reset BMS. Dealer or Forscan or equivalent. Requires equipment reader with capability to address cars computer and change parameters.
BMS has nothing to do with short block replacement. The parameter sits in non volatile memory which I’d the reason it must be reset at the install of a new battery.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Remember $6 voltage regulators?
5:00 pm: remove old battery
5:05 pm: install new battery
5:10 pm wash up for supper

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Remember $6 voltage regulators?
5:00 pm: remove old battery
5:05 pm: install new battery
5:10 pm wash up for supper
Yes I do. I was surprised on my 2013 when it came time for a battery change. This is all in the WSM. I also believe that there is a connection to the CAFE standards.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So the auto start-stop feature on my 2019, with only 12,300 miles on it, stopped working. I attached a trickle charger to the battery and it's indicating the battery is somewhere below an 80% charge.
You think once it gets close to fully charged the feature will start working again?

241 - 260 of 267 Posts