2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I wonder if the battery charge condition is also the reason that sometimes when I first get in it the memory seat also does not automatically move . ??

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
So the auto start-stop feature on my 2019, with only 12,300 miles on it, stopped working. I attached a trickle charger to the battery and it's indicating the battery is somewhere below an 80% charge.
You think once it gets close to fully charged the feature will start working again?
Not close. Must be 80 or better. SOC is one of several parameters that must be met before it will work.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I wonder if the battery charge condition is also the reason that sometimes when I first get in it the memory seat also does not automatically move . ??
I would think so. If the battery is not fully charged it can affect all sorts of technology especially the stop/start feature as mentioned by @ralph7up

·
Registered
128 Posts
It worked.....only 6-7 hours on the trickle charger & now the S/S works. Over the winter, riders in the back seat had also many times used the 110 V plug to power a heating blanket.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
It worked.....only 6-7 hours on the trickle charger & now the S/S works. Over the winter, riders in the back seat had also many times used the 110 V plug to power a heating blanket.
Well, therein lies your problem, tell your backseat passengers to wear heavier clothing... :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, therein lies your problem, tell your backseat passengers to wear heavier clothing... :p
Grandkids love that heating blanket. I think we went 3-4 weeks here with temps never getting above freezing. The front heated seats must be the hottest of any car on the market! You can really burn your butt!

·
Registered
1 Posts
That steering wheel parameter is a subtle one! If stopped for a right turn with the wheels turned in anticipation.
Also, any defroster or defroster blend selection will prevent S/S from engaging. Battery load can have an effect as well, even with a good battery. Stopped with lights, driving lights, both seat heaters on, HVAC fan on a higher speed. At a longer stop, e.g., waiting for a train, the S/S may turn the engine back on.
Interesting. I just picked up a gently used 2018. Thr start-stop function worked day 1 and 2, but the weather was great and nobdefrist/climate cobtrol was on. I thank you for that input!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings all. I just found this forum, so forgive me if this question has been asked before (I did do a cursory search).

I've got a 2018 Titanium with the auto start stop feature enabled.

For quite a while it worked fine ... the engine would turn off when I stop and turn back on when I start moving again.

Recently, however, it hasn't worked ... I'll come to a full stop, but the engine would keep running. The dash board would display an icon indicating the engine would not turn off.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this?

It doesn't seem to mater what the temperature is outside, if the engine is warmed up, or if the AC is running.

Thanks!

david

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,894 Posts
Greetings all. I just found this forum, so forgive me if this question has been asked before (I did do a cursory search).

For quite a while it worked fine ... the engine would turn off when I stop and turn back on when I start moving again.

Recently, however, it hasn't worked ... I'll come to a full stop, but the engine would keep running. The dash board would display an icon indicating the engine would not turn off.

It doesn't seem to mater what the temperature is outside, if the engine is warmed up, or if the AC is running.

Thanks!

david
Welcome to the forum. I merged your thread with an existing thread on this issue. Have a look at some of the other posts for some possible help

·
Registered
2,166 Posts

Thanks!

david
The main reason this feature fails is connected with the battery not holding it's charge or not charging enough for it to operate as it needs to be fully charged for the stop/start and other technology to work properly.
This can be caused by you not using the car much lately or doing a lot of short trips or having something permanently plugged into the 12V port in recent times.

Other than that the battery may be on the way out but that would be unusual for your 2018 model.

As mentioned by admin. scrolling back on this thread will give additional advice.. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife's start/stop stopped working a couple years after she got her 2017 Escape. when she took it to the dealer, they said the system tested as working. A few weeks ago I put a new battery in the car, and it started working again, for about 2 weeks, than stopped working. Does anyone know the voltage level of the battery that causes the start/stop to stop working? Is there any way to change it so it keeps working until the battery gets to about 12 volts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Grandkids love that heating blanket. I think we went 3-4 weeks here with temps never getting above freezing. The front heated seats must be the hottest of any car on the market! You can really burn your butt!
I agree about the heated front seats. I can't tell any difference between the highest and lowest setting. All are too hot!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just as a follow up, your advice was good

My car d tend to sit in the garage for extended periods of time, since I now work from home full time.

After I went on an extended drive, the auto stop start worked again.

If I don’t go on extended drives, it will stop working.

I’m guessing that when I don’t use it, the battery level is lowered below the threshold by background tasks (WiFi firmware checks, etc).

I wish there was a diagnostic that would indicate the system’s ability to use auto stop start.

again, thanks

david

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Just as a follow up, your advice was good

My car d tend to sit in the garage for extended periods of time, since I now work from home full time.

After I went on an extended drive, the auto stop start worked again.

If I don’t go on extended drives, it will stop working.

I’m guessing that when I don’t use it, the battery level is lowered below the threshold by background tasks (WiFi firmware checks, etc).

I wish there was a diagnostic that would indicate the system’s ability to use auto stop start.

again, thanks

david
Your guess regarding battery use is correct, the mere fact that the car just sits in your garage for days or weeks at a time would cause the battery to lose some charge. There are different views on the level of battery charge for the stop/start feature to stop working....some say 70% and some say 80% charge.
In your case perhaps you could connect a trickle charger to your battery to keep it charged fully when you are not using the car if you wish the S/S feature to work all the time. 😉

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
My wife's start/stop stopped working a couple years after she got her 2017 Escape. when she took it to the dealer, they said the system tested as working. A few weeks ago I put a new battery in the car, and it started working again, for about 2 weeks, than stopped working. Does anyone know the voltage level of the battery that causes the start/stop to stop working? Is there any way to change it so it keeps working until the battery gets to about 12 volts?
I believe the stop/start feature will cease to work if the battery drops below 70% to 80% charge level.
If you do not use the car much these days or only do short trips the battery may not be able to retain sufficient charge as you indicate.
Perhaps you could attach a trickle charger to the battery to keep it fully charged if the car is not in use for any length of time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wow, 14 pages of posts on what is a flawed system. If Ford wanted to create speculation and debate on a topic on something that isn't going to cost the owner $'s in repairs they have achieved their goal.

I had done a bit of a long post on this originally but decided to keep it short. the fact is that on our Kuga the stop start system doesn't work as the environmentalists would wish, like many other owners, yet on our Vauxhall it does.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Did you have the BMS reset.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok, So, since we started moving about more after the pandemic shutdown, my wife's 2017 1.5 l Escape's Auto Start /Stop function has stopped working.

Last evening I put the battery on a trickle charger and had the doors locked for about 12 hours.
The charger read in the green for a full charged battery.
The car only shows the circle with diag. line meaning that it won't shut off.....no error messages.
Right now, her use of accessories is at a minimum and we have driven the car more extensively a few times.
I'm not sure what's causing it am wondering if there is a fuse or relay that's gone bad. Any assistance as to which fuse or relay that I could test that may control this?

·
Super Moderator
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,482 Posts
Last evening I put the battery on a trickle charger and had the doors locked for about 12 hours.
The charger read in the green for a full charged battery.
What size is the charger? The "charged" indicators on battery chargers don't seem that accurate and simply tell you when the battery is full enough to start an engine. I found it took a lot longer than the time my charger indicated the battery was fully charged to when ForScan indicated 100% SOC- like about another 24hrs on float charge.

Did you also connect the negative charger lead to the earth point on the engine bay suspension tower? That way the BCM will log the charging current going to the battery. If you connected the charger negative directly to the battery it won't have logged the charger's current and you'll need to leave the vehicle locked for a period of 8hrs (IIRC) in order for the BCM to recalculate the battery's SOC.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What size is the charger? The "charged" indicators on battery chargers don't seem that accurate and simply tell you when the battery is full enough to start an engine. I found it took a lot longer than the time my charger indicated the battery was fully charged to when ForScan indicated 100% SOC- like about another 24hrs on float charge.
Well, the charger is rather small but it did the trick. It didn't read fully charged until the morning after and the car didn't stop right away when she was going to work but coming home, it worked properly.
Did you also connect the negative charger lead to the earth point on the engine bay suspension tower?
Yes.
That way the BCM will log the charging current going to the battery. If you connected the charger negative directly to the battery it won't have logged the charger's current and you'll need to leave the vehicle locked for a period of 8hrs (IIRC) in order for the BCM to recalculate the battery's SOC.
It may have taken a bit longer after it registered as fully charged. I had locked the doors and then charged the battery for about 12 hours. I had read many of the suggestions on this thread and tried to do with what I have here.

Thanks for your reply. I'm grateful for this forum.

Reactions: ralph7up
261 - 280 of 291 Posts