2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

141 - 160 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
It took them two days to get the battery, so I figure they didn't get a full charge on it. The weather is getting colder here so we will see what happens. Having one of these newer cars is like having a electric car that needs charging all the time. It sounds like it's not just Ford that has these problems.
AKA, "technology is great whe it works". What really blew my mind as an older guy who has worked on alternators in the past, is that we no longer are in the diodes but advanced charging algorthyms era. That is one of the reasons that it it so importnat to reset the BMS on a battery replacement.

Reactions: DennyMO

·
Registered
23 Posts
AKA, "technology is great whe it works". What really blew my mind as an older guy who has worked on alternators in the past, is that we no longer are in the diodes but advanced charging algorthyms era. That is one of the reasons that it it so importnat to reset the BMS on a battery replacement.
They did the reset.

Reactions: ralph7up

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
MoneyPit. One reason is that the driver does not drive the car enough for the alternator to do a complete job of charging the battery to the minimum SOC required by the S/S algorithm. I fall into that category. Another reason, (perhaps my car) the vehicle sat on dealer lot for 9 months with little or no battery charge and the battery became degraded and not capable of holding charge but still acceptable under Ford warranty tests. Could be a variety of legitimate reasons.
Good point Ralph. Ours falls into that category also. My wife will drive 5 mins up town then 5 mins home and maybe a couple mins around town to various locations. She does this on almost a daily basis but sometimes the car will sit for a day or two, and since the battery was replaced, we've had no problems.I had problems with my S/S a few months back and after waiting 3 hours, my dealer said the battery failed the tests and it was replaced under warranty. The dealer did say the the battery had to pass/fail several tests in order for Ford to reimburse them for a new battery. I also experienced a premature (less than a year) battery failure in my '13 FE. IMHO the reason for all these battery failures is simple. Ford is using "cheap as possible" parts. Both of my FE's were custom ordered and didn't sit on the lot but I agree, that could be a problem in your case. As I'm sure you are aware that a faulty battery can cause several other issues like faulty transmission function and many others. The whole car is run by computers and computers need electricity. I'm sure once the OE's battery is replaced, the issue will go away.

502c5687-ab3d-4b16-b925-79dc0cbdd923.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Good point Ralph. Ours falls into that category also. My wife will drive 5 mins up town then 5 mins home and maybe a couple mins around town to various locations. She does this on almost a daily basis but sometimes the car will sit for a day or two, and since the battery was replaced, we've had no problems.I had problems with my S/S a few months back and after waiting 3 hours, my dealer said the battery failed the tests and it was replaced under warranty. The dealer did say the the battery had to pass/fail several tests in order for Ford to reimburse them for a new battery. I also experienced a premature (less than a year) battery failure in my '13 FE. IMHO the reason for all these battery failures is simple. Ford is using "cheap as possible" parts. Both of my FE's were custom ordered and didn't sit on the lot but I agree, that could be a problem in your case. As I'm sure you are aware that a faulty battery can cause several other issues like faulty transmission function and many others. The whole car is run by computers and computers need electricity. I'm sure once the OE's battery is replaced, the issue will go away.

View attachment 75504
My situation exactly as well. The battery on my 2016 also was replaced, like yours, under warranty. My dealer said about exactly the same thing to me when I took it in. It failed like yours and also was replaced under warranty. Concur with you assesment on parts prices but remember "we went to the moon and back on low bidders";)

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
My situation exactly as well. The battery on my 2016 also was replaced, like yours, under warranty. My dealer said about exactly the same thing to me when I took it in. It failed like yours and also was replaced under warranty. Concur with you assessment on parts prices but remember "we went to the moon and back on low bidders";)
VERY true! (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The stop/start function on my 2019 SEL only works some of the time. Anyone else having this problem?

I know that there are certain conditions where it won't function but that is not what is happening. It is a failure.

·
Super Moderator
6,001 Posts
The stop/start function on my 2019 SEL only works some of the time. Anyone else having this problem?

I know that there are certain conditions where it won't function but that is not what is happening. It is a failure.
I merged your thread with this existing one on the same topic. I sounds like a broken record saying this, as many don’t. But in the future, please do a search prior to posting a new thread. This issue was really easy to find.

·
Registered
7 Posts

That is exactly my problem. 2017 Ford Escape SE 2.0 Eco Boost. S/S work intermittently. At full stop I get the gray icon. Sometimes for weeks then suddenly it works with green icon at stop.When working it always stops and restarts. When not working it never stops just idles. Bought new in Nov 16 with 9800 current miles.. Have a service appt. 11-5-19... Anyone with similar??

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
947 Posts
Charge the battery. That solved my problem completly.
Yeah..pretty sure it is battery related. I was sitting in my car for around 40 minutes recently with the engine off listening to the radio and forgot my dashcam was also plugged in. After driving off my stop/start would not work properly for around 30 minutes whereas it was fine before.
Apparently the battery needs to be charged to it's optimum for stop/start to work perfectly and I must have drained it a little but once it reached full charge again after a drive stop/start was fine again.

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Yeah..pretty sure it is battery related. I was sitting in my car for around 40 minutes recently with the engine off listening to the radio and forgot my dashcam was also plugged in. After driving off my stop/start would not work properly for around 30 minutes whereas it was fine before.
Apparently the battery needs to be charged to it's optimum for stop/start to work perfectly and I must have drained it a little but once it reached full charge again after a drive stop/start was fine again.
Actually it is in the manual. One of the many parameters that need to be satisfied is battery Sate of Charge. My estimate is that it needs to be about 70%.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Actually it is in the manual. One of the many parameters that need to be satisfied is battery Sate of Charge. My estimate is that it needs to be about 70%.
I got my 2017 in March of this year with 30,000 km. The S/S wasn't working, the dealer replaced the battery, all was hunky-dory. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago,it stopped working again at 34,000 km. Dealer said I don't drive enough (retired and walk to a lot of places I need to go to). They charged the battery to 100% and sent me on my way . I live in an apartment so I have no way of putting a trickle charger on it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Well it seems to point to that the S/S weakens the battery prematurely...And these are AGM batteries too...What is it doing to your starters, engines???...I told ya, but Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..?

·
Premium Member
1,749 Posts
Well it seems to point to that the S/S weakens the battery prematurely...And these are AGM batteries too...What is it doing to your starters, engines???...I told ya, but Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..?
Respectfully disagree. It is the amount of driving and type. Short trips and few trips do not allow alternator to charge battery to minimum SOC. Both battery and alternator are heavier duty to support S/S.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Respectfully disagree. It is the amount of driving and type. Short trips and few trips do not allow alternator to charge battery to minimum SOC. Both battery and alternator are heavier duty to support S/S.
Well just think about, the S/S is designed just for stop and go, short trips ..If you take long highway trips, the S/S doesn't do anything anyway...so the logic behind the system is not there...Its proving you have to drive longer highway trips to keep the S/S system working...There are people that dont even hit highway or long mid speed trips at all...just local ones...Solution, turn it OFF.....Problem and future problems solved....

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
947 Posts
Well just think about, the S/S is designed just for stop and go, short trips ..If you take long highway trips, the S/S doesn't do anything anyway...so the logic behind the system is not there...Its proving you have to drive longer highway trips to keep the S/S system working...There are people that dont even hit highway or long mid speed trips at all...just local ones...Solution, turn it OFF.....Problem and future problems solved....
Yeah, I agree with you to a degree. The stop/start thing is more of a gimmick than a fuel saving or environment protection thing in my opinion.
However if all your driving consisted of the occasional short trip you are eventually going to have trouble with your battery losing it's charge anyway and replacing it prematurely regardless of the stop/start feature due to the alternator not having a chance to charge it fully.

As you are aware there are a lot of other functions/technology in modern day vehicles apart from the stop/start function that rely on the battery virtually having optimum charge and cars these days have strengthened alternators, starters and batteries to cope with these too.

But, as you said it would certainly help battery life to a degree if the stop/start was turned off if you only ever drive short trips or use the car infrequently in my view. ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Its proving you have to drive longer highway trips to keep the S/S system working...
Don’t know how you get to that. Hot weather disables it too.

Unless it’s electric or a nuke if it’s running it’s making CO2. Start/Stop is here to stay.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Don’t know how you get to that. Hot weather disables it too.

Unless it’s electric or a nuke if it’s running it’s making CO2. Start/Stop is here to stay.
You didn't read why..The batteries are dying from all those S/S..Need to charge it up by taking highway runs...

·
Registered
7 Posts
So after reading all the low battery causing the S/S from not working I decided to throw a trickle charge on it. Couldn't find my lighter plug attachment so decided to throw the clamps on the battery.. Popped the hood and no battery to be found. Researched and discovered you have to remove the wiper arms and two protective covers plus loosen a fluid tank to get to the battery.. .

Needless to say I dropped the hood and ordered the charging attachment that plugs into cig lighter.. This setup is nothing more than a money grab by Ford, making the battery so difficult to get to you are forced to take it in to a service center to remove the battery.. In my case simply to put a couple of clamps on to trickle charge..

·
Registered
716 Posts
So after reading all the low battery causing the S/S from not working I decided to throw a trickle charge on it. Couldn't find my lighter plug attachment so decided to throw the clamps on the battery.. Popped the hood and no battery to be found. Researched and discovered you have to remove the wiper arms and two protective covers plus loosen a fluid tank to get to the battery.. .

Needless to say I dropped the hood and ordered the charging attachment that plugs into cig lighter.. This setup is nothing more than a money grab by Ford, making the battery so difficult to get to you are forced to take it in to a service center to remove the battery.. In my case simply to put a couple of clamps on to trickle charge..
No need to use a cig plug adapter. The positive terminal is accessible with the battery cover removed and the remote negative terminal is is just to the right of the battery as you face the vehicle. There's a crummy artist rendering of the location in the owner's manual.
Here's a photo from my car.

Reactions: JSnow and ralph7up
141 - 160 of 184 Posts