2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

161 - 180 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
My braking start/stop feature is shuting off on me. Anyone who owns a 2017 Ford Escape having the same problem?

·
Super Moderator
5,997 Posts
My braking start/stop feature is shuting off on me. Anyone who owns a 2017 Ford Escape having the same problem?
I merged your thread with this thread that may help you. Have a look at some of the other posts for some possible help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had this problem with my 2017 Escape 6 months ago, they changed the battery, and it worked fine until last week, now just as bad as ever. I hope I don't have to replace the battery every 6 months!
I called the dealer today, and have an appointment Thursday...............To be continued.
Just took it in again for the third time, this time to Airport Ford in Hamilton ON. They reprogrammed the BCM. Works good now, but will have to see if it stands up to the long haul!

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are a number of parameters that have to be within range for the auto start/stop to work. Engine has to be in a certain temp range, battery has to be sufficiently charged, climate demands have to be low enough, wheel has to be straight, driver is buckled, and turbo temps have to be cool enough. If there's anything minor that isn't normal, it won't engage. On mine, these are the reasons I've observed when it didn't engage.

1. Engine is too cold (not warmed up enough)
2. It's really cold or really hot outside (climate demands)
3. Steering wheel is turned (wheel has to be mostly straight)
4. Turbo needs to cool down after operating at highway speeds (engine will stop after a delay)
5. Driver is unbuckled or doors are opened
6. Brakes were not completely released for long enough between subsequent stops (it won't work if you creep)
7. Passenger pressed the disable button

Other than those, if it doesn't function properly the battery is probably bad. If you get a message about needing to shift into park to restart, then you need to have the BCM reprogrammed by a dealer. If the car has any other issues or trouble codes, those should be corrected before you expect start/stop to work.
My 2017 just did the must shift to park to me today, it only did it once though and other stops the auto start stop worked.... should I still bring it in?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Your call, @Bacigalupi93, If it was mine, I'd put a trickle charger on it overnight or drive it for 45mn-1hr with minimal stops to ensure that the battery is sufficiently charged up. If the message returns then I'd likely take it in. It's a traffic hazard if the car has to be restarted manually repeatedly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drove it 40 miles back home and through town, no issues. And the start stop was turned on to make sure it was working. I have a recall for it that just came ot so when I take it to the dealer for fix I will ask them just to be safe.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My 2017 just did the must shift to park to me today, it only did it once though and other stops the auto start stop worked.... should I still bring it in?
I suggest printing this out and take it in. It's an annoyance but could put you in a risky situation if it happens in a difficult traffic situation like making a left turn when the traffic light is turning red.

Reactions: MoneyPit1946

·
Registered
3 Posts
My concern is that the dealer would say I caused the issue somehow by installing the aftermarket parts/hitch. This is my first new car, I have heard stories about how they look any reason do deny possible claims.
That very well could be the case, I’ve had a customer come in with an f150 , auto start stop inop, problem was an hid kit installed, there was a voltage drop that didn’t meet perimeters. No DTCs , just inop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That very well could be the case, I’ve had a customer come in with an f150 , auto start stop inop, problem was an hid kit installed, there was a voltage drop that didn’t meet perimeters. No DTCs , just inop.
To add to this. Disclose to the SA exactly what you did, so the tech can spend as little on diag. As possible. Worst case scenario you pay half hour labour for them to tell you it’s the wiring you messed with. Best case scenario, it’s warranty fix! Don’t be embarrassed, beat thing you can do is disclose what you did

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
I have had my car in the dealer twice. Both times said it was the battery. Most recently was 4days ago....it has already stopped working
Was the battery determined to be bad and replaced in both cases? There are several other threads on this board with this same issue covered in detail. In most cases it is due to the SOC of battery being below threshold ie. charge too low so alternator continues to charge. How is your car driven? Low miles and short trips?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, the Auto/Start function stopped working. Not sure when because I got used it. I have not pushed the deactivation button on the console. But as I understand it that’s only good until you shut off the car.
So, I was looking in the settings and saw this Auto Engine Off was checked. So, that’s kind of of ambiguous. Does that having the box checked mean that auto/start stop is off or on?
So, I unchecked it and drove a bit and the auto start/stop started working again. But it didn’t last past car shut off and the box is checked again.
What am I missing?

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
944 Posts
The Auto Engine Off thing is not related to Stop/Start and it's purpose is to cut the engine if you leave it idling for a prolonged time. A countdown will appear on the dash just before it shuts down and you can override it by tapping the brake pedal. Some people may turn it off as you did because they want the car to idle for some time for a particular reason but it resets itself by default when you turn the engine off and is not connected to Stop/Start in any way.

The reason the Stop/Start feature stops working is usually because the car is not getting much use or is only used for short trips as it needs a fully charged battery to operate and this can sometimes affect other technology also.
That is why it commenced working again after you drove the car for a while.

It has happened to me after not driving the car for 6 or 7 days due to the pandemic but after going on a reasonably long journey and charging the battery fully it commenced working again. ;)

You could also leave the battery on a trickle charger to keep it at it's optimum if you haven't been using the car much lately.

Reactions: ADKGuy

·
Super Moderator
5,997 Posts
So, the Auto/Start function stopped working. Not sure when because I got used it. I have not pushed the deactivation button on the console. But as I understand it that’s only good until you shut off the car.
So, I was looking in the settings and saw this Auto Engine Off was checked. So, that’s kind of of ambiguous. Does that having the box checked mean that auto/start stop is off or on?
So, I unchecked it and drove a bit and the auto start/stop started working again. But it didn’t last past car shut off and the box is checked again.
What am I missing?

View attachment 77034
I merged your thread with this existing thread on the same topic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Auto Engine Off thing is not related to Stop/Start and it's purpose is to cut the engine if you leave it idling for a prolonged time. A countdown will appear on the dash just before it shuts down and you can override it by tapping the brake pedal. Some people may turn it off as you did because they want the car to idle for some time for a particular reason but it resets itself by default when you turn the engine off and is not connected to Stop/Start in any way.

The reason the Stop/Start feature stops working is usually because the car is not getting much use or is only used for short trips as it needs a fully charged battery to operate and this can sometimes affect other technology also.
That is why it commenced working again after you drove the car for a while.

It has happened to me after not driving the car for 6 or 7 days due to the pandemic but after going on a reasonably long journey and charging the battery fully it commenced working again. ;)

You could also leave the battery on a trickle charger to keep it at it's optimum if you haven't been using the car much lately.
Ok. Makes sense. It did come back on when I went on a 2.5 hour ride but then went off again. The fact that I unchecked auto off was a coincidence. Lol. I’m working from home so that may explain it. My normal week would have me driving 40 miles a day now I’m down a lot less than that.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Trend 2L, Ruby red,Technology pack, SatNav, dashcam etc.
944 Posts
Ok. Makes sense. It did come back on when I went on a 2.5 hour ride but then went off again. The fact that I unchecked auto off was a coincidence. Lol. I’m working from home so that may explain it. My normal week would have me driving 40 miles a day now I’m down a lot less than that.
Thanks.
Thanks for reply and yes, it is all about keeping the battery fully charged for the Stop/Start function to work consistently. I haven't drive mine much recently and often find the S/S doesn't work til I cover quite a few miles charging the battery..😊

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Thanks.
As posted elsewhere, I have estimated that the battery SOC must be about 70% for s/s to work. As the battery ages, it becomes more difficult to achieve that level. Combine it with low mileage and little use ( my case) , the s/s works a minimal amount of time. I usually trickle charge once per week but the battery degrades pretty quickly from low use.

Reactions: wiz043

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well here's my issue. 2018 Escape Titanium 2.0 Bought the car used 15 months ago. S/S worked when I got it until about 5-6 months ago and then started working intermittently. Now it's not working at all. I put a battery charger on the battery today to make sure the battery was fully charged.

Drove it and got the operating temp to normal. No A/C on because of outside temp being only 78 degrees.

No display on the DIC at all until I come to a stop and then it shows the symbol in light gray. I can turn on the disable button on the center stack and nothing changes on the DIC but the amber light on the disable button illuminates.

Wife's car and she likes it not working, but I prefer to get it working as normal. BCM issue?

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Well here's my issue. 2018 Escape Titanium 2.0 Bought the car used 15 months ago. S/S worked when I got it until about 5-6 months ago and then started working intermittently. Now it's not working at all. I put a battery charger on the battery today to make sure the battery was fully charged.

Drove it and got the operating temp to normal. No A/C on because of outside temp being only 78 degrees.

No display on the DIC at all until I come to a stop and then it shows the symbol in light gray. I can turn on the disable button on the center stack and nothing changes on the DIC but the amber light on the disable button illuminates.

Wife's car and she likes it not working, but I prefer to get it working as normal. BCM issue?

Any thoughts?
Perhaps battery is not holding a charge to the 70% threshold. Is it original to car? Also, there are about a dozen parameters that must be met for s/s to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new 2017 Escape SE with the 1.5l engine (build date 6/16) with a problem that it looks like many of you would be jealous of. When I bought the car, the auto stop/start worked as advertised. It was mid-summer with the outside temp at 100f+, and the AC set to 74f. So I know that the stop/start will function even with the AC on and high temperatures outside.

Now, approximately 1 month into ownership the auto stop/start does not function at all at any time even in early morning or late evening when the temperature is lower than he AC setting. The grayed out setting does show on the dash when it should come on. There are no other issues with the car or warning lights of concern on the dash.

I did install a Curt hitch mount and about a week later the lighting kit. I was nowhere near the engine or other electronics or vacuum lines (yes, I read the manual to see what the stop/start criteria are). I have gone back over the installation areas and cannot see any pitched/damaged lines or any problems (it was an easy installation).

I’m a grocery getting, kid driving kind of guy so maximum fuel economy is kind of important to me, so I would like to fix this if possible.
Any advice on how to troubleshoot this problem would be appreciated. No service actions are noted in the online/maintenance “My Ford” account, not even the window reprogramming recall.
My 2018 Escape is going to dealer tomorrow same problem S/S worked fine then this February it stopped with the exception of two days that it all of a sudden started to work and now stopped again. Dealer said first thing they will check is battery. Really doesn't seem worth having the feature. I wish you could disable it permanently.

161 - 180 of 184 Posts