2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago, "check engine" and " service engine soon" MILs lit up, the wrench and engine-outline icons. I had codes checked, and didn't see any performance difference, so I waited until Thursday for an open service spot.

It appears a small mammal found the HVB coolant temperature sensor harness tasty. $85 part, $340 labor, and an overnight waiting for the harness kit. Got to hope the new one's not bacon-flavored!
Font Eyelash Electronics accessory Rectangle Writing implement

Anyone else had teeth marks on their repair orders?

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE I3 & 2020 Titanium Hybrid
191 Posts
I've had something like that happen before, I could have fixed it with that connector, there's still enough clean wire there to strip, solder, and shrink.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had that happen to the last vehicle we owned before the Escape. $1,800 and 2 trips to service later it was repaired.

Don’t understand why they wrap wires in soy. It tastes good to rodents. Thankfully insurance covered it by still out the deductible.

·
Registered
2021 Escape Titanium PHEV Bronze Fire
68 Posts
A couple weeks ago, "check engine" and " service engine soon" MILs lit up, the wrench and engine-outline icons. I had codes checked, and didn't see any performance difference, so I waited until Thursday for an open service spot.

It appears a small mammal found the HVB coolant temperature sensor harness tasty. $85 part, $340 labor, and an overnight waiting for the harness kit. Got to hope the new one's not bacon-flavored!
View attachment 80035

Anyone else had teeth marks on their repair orders?
FBOV, Tell us please. in your opinion do you think this damage was done at your home/place or before you got the car. Many early build 2020 Escapes sat at the factory or in transit for a long time because of Covid. Do you have the build date, it is on the inside drivers door label. When did you buy it, who many months between. Glade it was fixed for you and your back on the road. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mice love the soy wire sheaths. Sadly they continue to be used despite this. I’d definitely look at applying the tape from the above post

·
Registered
2020 Escape AWD Hybrid Titanium
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’d definitely look at applying the tape from the above post
Great idea, if it weren't for the $340 in labor to replace the harness... which suggests a similar cost to apply the tape now. If it happens again, I'll provide tape.

The C-Max was parked in the same place and never had a bite of harm.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SEL 2.0L AWD
38 Posts
I read the soy is for cost savings and to be more environmentally friendly, so I don't expect Ford (or others) would go back to petroleum-based wire coverings due to the "friendly" aspect of the soy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tape seems like a lot work to wrap all the electrical harnesses. Plus is the tape environmentally friendly?
I wonder if there is aerosol spray that would repel the rodents and be much easer to install?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts