2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have resolved my ambient lighting issue, at least to my satisfaction and probably as best it can be done in this vehicle (unless someone else comes along and tells me otherwise).

First off, my ambient lights were not turning on the past couple days simply because the headlights of the vehicle were OFF. That's a result of sitting in the car for hours programming an APIM one character at a time and not wanting to drain the car battery... Next, the "Ambient Lighting" settings screen in Sync 3 did nothing to control my lights. However, my best guess is that there is no communication between my ambient lights and the APIM since my ambient lights are controlled with the module mounted above the center console as part of the headliner. My solution was to change 7D0-01-02 from xxxA xxxx xxxx to xxxD xxxx xxxx. This had the effect of (1) removing the "Ambient Lighting" settings screen from the Sync 3 display (which I view as unnecessarily redundant since I have the headliner controls, not to mention the Sync 3 ambient lighting buttons not working) and (2) clearing the APIM DTC U0140.

Now my ambient lights work as they did in my OEM '13 Escape SEL setup, controlled by the module mounted in the headliner, there is no longer the inoperable "Ambient Lighting" settings screen on the Sync 3 display, and my APIM is no longer throwing DTC U0140. In fact, none of my modules are throwing DTCs now and all systems are operational!

It's been a bit of a fun puzzle to resolve these issues and I hope the info I've shared in these last three posts helps someone.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jeremy, thanks for posting all of this info. It's definitely home to help someone down the line!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I just saw someone post they did this for $300. Found a used sync3 on ebay and then just foccus software to enable it. I'm going to do this now if I can find the right parts.

I have a 15' titanium, so Nav, HD and backup cam. I'll try to find a used escape or focus, maybe even other cars? used screen and apim. Then install and use foccus to enable/disable features. We should get this thing documents for future! My RS has the sync 3 and it is hands down a billion times better than sync2.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just saw someone post they did this for $300. Found a used sync3 on ebay and then just foccus software to enable it. I'm going to do this now if I can find the right parts.

I have a 15' titanium, so Nav, HD and backup cam. I'll try to find a used escape or focus, maybe even other cars? used screen and apim. Then install and use foccus to enable/disable features. We should get this thing documents for future! My RS has the sync 3 and it is hands down a billion times better than sync2.
Check your local salvage yard. I only paid $150 for my sync 3 APIM and display. You can get one out of any vehicle with the 8" display. You'll just need to swap your mounting brackets over

Reactions: escape05xls

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
If you currently have MFT and want Sync 3, you can do this upgrade for about $500-600 for the non nav and if you want the nav version, which I recommend, expect to pay about $200-300 more.

I did this upgrade on my 2014 Titanium and am very, very satisfied with it and really recommend everyone who has MFT to upgrade to Sync 3. It really is just so much better. Also, I sold my old MFT which had Nav for $325 on ebay. It took a couple months for it to sell, but I was in no hurry. If you wanted to sell your old MFT fast, it will easily sell for $200.

Anyone seriously considering doing this, I can provide info for everything needed, which isnt much. Basically you'll need:

Sync 3 Apim + Screen
USB hub (to enable CarPlay/Android Auto)
USB hub bezel
USB hub adapter plug

Thats it as far as hardware. You will need to program the new apim to match you're specific vin# to retain all your current factory functions.

Anyone who is even considering this, DO IT! You will not regret it
I'm going to do this, I'm just trying to do it for cheaper than 500-600 on eBay. I've got a couple local salvage yards in the lookout for me. I think I've got all the information I need, but I'm very curious as to where you obtained your hardware, installation methods, any issues you had or pitfalls to avoid.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Check your local salvage yard. I only paid $150 for my sync 3 APIM and display. You can get one out of any vehicle with the 8" display. You'll just need to swap your mounting brackets over

That is what I am hoping to find! Did you see if you still had the parallel parking still?

Hoping to keep all stock functions of steering wheel, backup cam etc, I heard they still function but one person mentioned the park assist may of thrown an error. I'll have to swing to the junk yards as you know calling they may not know *** I'm talking about.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Make sure you find a Sync 3 unit with a flush standard screen. There are 2 versions of the MFT and Sync 3 screens used in certain vehicles. There is the flush screen that we use, and there is a recessed screen, used in certain vehicles. So when you go source your parts, keep this in mind. Here is what I can assure you:

Standard Flush mount screen (what Escape's use):
C-Max
Escape
Focus
Fusion
Mustang
F-150
Expedition

Recessed screen (cannot work for Escape):
Edge
Explorer
F-250
F-350
Flex
Taurus

Any Sync 3 apim works, just make sure to get the standard screen.

·
Registered
251 Posts
That is what I am hoping to find! Did you see if you still had the parallel parking still?

Hoping to keep all stock functions of steering wheel, backup cam etc, I heard they still function but one person mentioned the park assist may of thrown an error. I'll have to swing to the junk yards as you know calling they may not know *** I'm talking about.
Once you program it you'll have all of your stock functions.

This is how I found mine http://www.car-part.com/mobile/index.htm

Make sure you get the VIN of the donor car so you'll be able to easily download updates

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Keep in mind that to get beyond v3.0 you'll need the updated APIM hardware. I think Edge, Mustang and a couple others have it in MY19. Not sure on 19MY Escape, would need to see what S/W ships in it from factory.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Keep in mind that to get beyond v3.0 you'll need the updated APIM hardware. I think Edge, Mustang and a couple others have it in MY19. Not sure on 19MY Escape, would need to see what S/W ships in it from factory.
Curious...What's the benefit above 3.0?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
So the 16-18 have reached end of life status? If so that's crazy, imagine getting a brand new 2018 and never getting any more updates.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
So the 16-18 have reached end of life status? If so that's crazy, imagine getting a brand new 2018 and never getting any more updates.
My understanding is it may well still get some service releases for bugs, etc. but I'm not sure how much beyond that in terms of adopting any new features or feature updates, e.g. voice feature updates in my case.

Some incremental feature updates, etc. For example, if you happen to be around a dealer and look at a 19MY Mustang with 3.2 (last I heard that's what it ships with) or Edge with 3.3, you'll see there are some simple backgrounds you can pick from. A good portion of the newer software is for an updated SXM AHU (more channels, etc.). See: Edge. Your mileage will vary for how useful any of the changes are to you in particular.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
My understanding is it may well still get some service releases for bugs, etc. but I'm not sure how much beyond that in terms of adopting any new features or feature updates, e.g. voice feature updates in my case.

Some incremental feature updates, etc. For example, if you happen to be around a dealer and look at a 19MY Mustang with 3.2 (last I heard that's what it ships with) or Edge with 3.3, you'll see there are some simple backgrounds you can pick from. A good portion of the newer software is for an updated SXM AHU (more channels, etc.). See: Edge. Your mileage will vary for how useful any of the changes are to you in particular.
Background? You mean kind of like the MFT <G>.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I mean, imagine buying a Samsung phone in 2016 and never getting another update....
Oh....

But seriously, this is why I'm a big advocate of the deepest Android auto and carplay integration as possible in infotainment systems. If you turn the car interface into just an input device and display, you'll negate the extremely fast obsolescence of high technology. Automotive engineering is on a 5-year planning schedule, smart phones and other devices average 6 months to a year.

There's just no way to keep the hardware on equivalent levels, so you need to go back to the basics for the cars and let the most powerful device do all the work.

Imagine what people will be saying about the Tesla display in 5 years...

I mean, some people hear about wireless Android auto and are disappointed that their two year old car doesn't have it...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Background? You mean kind of like the MFT <G>.
Yeah, there are a couple new backgrounds for day and night mode. Nothing custom like MFT though if that's what you were hoping for.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts

3.0+ is amazing. WAZE is in there and another app ...google maps? I forced it into my RS. On the other ford forums, they have the software from ford so you can just install it from usb. Going through ford or over wifi can be a ****.

Seems like if you are patient enough, you can find used apim/screens for $100-300. So I am currently looking. REALLY want sync 3

·
Registered
251 Posts

3.0+ is amazing. WAZE is in there and another app ...google maps? I forced it into my RS. On the other ford forums, they have the software from ford so you can just install it from usb. Going through ford or over wifi can be a ****.

Seems like if you are patient enough, you can find used apim/screens for $100-300. So I am currently looking. REALLY want sync 3
I used http://www.car-part.com to find mine. Only paid $150 for it

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I used Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market to find mine. Only paid $150 for it
I started there and found a few I think, but was having a hard time with quality and if apim was included. I really need to just keep searching it.

So sounds like the apim can be from anything with any feature? as with forscan/foccus you can enable the features like Nav and backup cam? My Ti escape has all the options and I don't mind using foccus to program stuff but finding a apim that is "more" plug in play is just quicker.

141 - 160 of 187 Posts