2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

161 - 180 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Install sync 3 in FE Trend

Hello everyone!

I got my Ford Escape Trend delivered last week, I thought it wouldn't be such a problem to not have a touchscreen but while I was waiting for the Escape to arrive, they gave me a Fiesta Vignale. I now know what i'm missing out on and I really want it in my Escape.

Does anyone know if it's possible to install sync 3 with apple carplay?
I currently just have a very small screen only displaying the radio and I don't even have a USB port.

Also, I apologize if this is the wrong category, I'm new to this forum :D

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
You want to check out 4Dtech.com for a mod like that.

There are also lots of videos and posts here about the intricacies of some the upgrade without the premodified kits and sounding the parts from a junkyard. I don't know if you can do that with a Sync1 system without replacing the whole dash. But you could at least buy the bezel kit from 4DTech and get the rest of the parts from a junkyard.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
6,067 Posts
Hello everyone!

I got my Ford Escape Trend delivered last week, I thought it wouldn't be such a problem to not have a touchscreen but while I was waiting for the Escape to arrive, they gave me a Fiesta Vignale. I now know what i'm missing out on and I really want it in my Escape.

Does anyone know if it's possible to install sync 3 with apple carplay?
I currently just have a very small screen only displaying the radio and I don't even have a USB port.

Also, I apologize if this is the wrong category, I'm new to this forum :D

Thanks in advance!
I merged your thread with this existing thread on updating to Sync 3. No idea if you have a MFT system as you didn't specify. Have a look through the other posts for some ideas.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Here is a cheaper option than 4Dtech if you want the full upgrade kit that includes CarPlay or Android Auto functionality. You can also upgrade to nav if you want. I know it shows a Mustang but he does kits for all the models including the Escape.

Non-Nav: https://www.ebay.com/itm/401742637451

Nav: https://www.ebay.com/itm/401733661696

He'll send you the whole kit programmed for your car and everything, so you just have to put it in. If you just want to add nav to your MFT he can do the programming for you too. Note that if you want full functionality, you also have to replace the USB hub and power adapter, not just the APIM and screen (he includes those in the kit).

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
As for cheaper, I asked, and he's willing to do a 10% discount if you buy from his website:
Coupon code is "escape10off" without quotes. Enter your VIN, choose if you want nav, and add to cart. Afterwards, click the button to view cart and then you can enter the coupon code.

He said because of the cost of the parts and required programming (specific to your options), you're not really going to be able to find a complete plug-and-play upgrade kit for cheaper unless you are able to find, buy, and program all the parts yourself. You just install the kit and it works. If you really want to source the parts yourself, he does also offer just programming services if you don't want to spend time figuring that out yourself.
How do software updates of the Sync 3 system work after the upgrade? Will I be able to get them from a Ford website or will I need to go back to this vendor?

·
Registered
18 Posts
He has the files, so he will provide them in the future for free if you ask.
I've heard that there are some versions of the sync systems that can't upgrade beyond version 3.0 because of (I think) partition differences. Do you have any insight into whether or not these can be upgraded?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've heard that there are some versions of the sync systems that can't upgrade beyond version 3.0 because of (I think) partition differences. Do you have any insight into whether or not these can be upgraded?
Specifically something like this: https://www.fordescape.org/threads/sync-3-4.112910/
I'd like to get a system that can go higher than Sync 3.2. Does that site have those modules available?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Specifically something like this: https://www.fordescape.org/threads/sync-3-4.112910/
I'd like to get a system that can go higher than Sync 3.2. Does that site have those modules available?
Yes, the hardware is different so if you want 3.2 or higher you need the newer APIM. He does have some 3.2 modules, but they will cost like $300 more. You might have to email him directly for those.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to update the owner.ford.com site after upgrading a car with MFT to Sync3? Right now when I go online, I just up SYNC updates for SYNC 2, not my new SYNC 3 system.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to update the owner.ford.com site after upgrading a car with MFT to Sync3? Right now when I go online, I just up SYNC updates for SYNC 2, not my new SYNC 3 system.
I doubt it, since it's tied to a VIN#. But you should be able to use any VIN # you can find on an auto-dealer site to get the software updates, if that's what you're after.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is a cheaper option than 4Dtech if you want the full upgrade kit that includes CarPlay or Android Auto functionality. You can also upgrade to nav if you want. I know it shows a Mustang but he does kits for all the models including the Escape.

Non-Nav: https://www.ebay.com/itm/401742637451

Nav: https://www.ebay.com/itm/401733661696

He'll send you the whole kit programmed for your car and everything, so you just have to put it in. If you just want to add nav to your MFT he can do the programming for you too. Note that if you want full functionality, you also have to replace the USB hub and power adapter, not just the APIM and screen (he includes those in the kit).
Yes, the hardware is different so if you want 3.2 or higher you need the newer APIM. He does have some 3.2 modules, but they will cost like $300 more. You might have to email him directly for those.
I ended up buying this kit. The guy who sells them is breeves002. The kit was awesome and everything is installed and working perfectly. Thanks Sam and @EscapeTape!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ended up buying this kit. The guy who sells them is breeves002. The kit was awesome and everything is installed and working perfectly. Thanks Sam and @EscapeTape!
I am looking at this kit versus a pulled 2016 unit from a local yard for 250.00. I understand that the older APIMs can be reformatted to accept the new software, etc. But I have zero knowledge of the FORSCAN software and programming.
There is something to be said for an all in one kit ready to go, but, there is a strong temptation to save 400-500 dollars if I can get help with how to program my unit.
I am glad I found this thread while searching the internet. It may have saved me several hundred dollars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any other questions, I'd be happy to provide my best answers
I have a couple questions if you have the time and willingness:
I have a 2014 Escape Titanium with the 2.0 Liter Engine, so we basically have the same vehicle and options, so your experiences will be super helpful!
1- after upgrading to Sync 3, does your back u camera still have the distance warning lines? and the ghost lines that show your turning direction?
2- do you still have the same functionality with active parking assist with Sync 3 as compared to the MFT?
3- is there anything that is missing functionality wise now that you have a Sync 3 installed versus the original MFT?

Thank you for your time.
I know this thread is a couple years old.

~Fix

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a couple questions if you have the time and willingness:
I have a 2014 Escape Titanium with the 2.0 Liter Engine, so we basically have the same vehicle and options, so your experiences will be super helpful!
1- after upgrading to Sync 3, does your back u camera still have the distance warning lines? and the ghost lines that show your turning direction?
2- do you still have the same functionality with active parking assist with Sync 3 as compared to the MFT?
3- is there anything that is missing functionality wise now that you have a Sync 3 installed versus the original MFT?

Thank you for your time.
I know this thread is a couple years old.

~Fix
I know you're not asking me this, but I have answers for you. I have sold upgrade kits to tons of people over the years, including many FE so I have a lot of experience with these swaps.

The warning lines are a programming thing, you can still have them after the upgrade.

I know on the fusions APA requires a PAM update to work properly with Sync 3. You'll need UCDS to do an unsupported model year firmware upgrade. I would assume the Escape requires the same PAM update.

You just get more functionality. You lose the RCA plugs, but thats it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know you're not asking me this, but I have answers for you. I have sold upgrade kits to tons of people over the years, including many FE so I have a lot of experience with these swaps.

The warning lines are a programming thing, you can still have them after the upgrade.

I know on the fusions APA requires a PAM update to work properly with Sync 3. You'll need UCDS to do an unsupported model year firmware upgrade. I would assume the Escape requires the same PAM update.

You just get more functionality. You lose the RCA plugs, but thats it.
Do you know where I can look up how to do the PAM update?
Thank you for your answers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here you go: Adding / Modifying Active Park Assist w/ PAM (Parking Aid Module) Firmware Upgrade

UCDS is an expensive scan tool unfortunately. I have one, but I use it for a lot of reasons, including my business.
Thank you for your response. I just noticed your user name is the same here as the seller on eBay for the Sync 3 upgrade kits. Safe to assume one in the same?

side question: How do you like your 2020 with that screen popping out the top of your dash? I'm not sure I can deal with it from how the pictures make it look.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That would be me.

I don't mind it at all. I think I prefer it in the dash but I like it.

161 - 180 of 187 Posts