2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to be a new 2018 Titanium owner fully loaded, the car has been a one owner and currently has 16k miles, I'm picking the car up from Carmax on Saturday 27th.

I know the bumper to bumper warranty has expired but I believe the powertrain is still active (5 hears 60k miles) anyhow I have the option to buy the Carmax warranty a 75k, 60 month warranty with $200 deductible $150 if you use one of their recommended facilities for $1500, I drive under 10k miles per year so the warranty should be good for 5 years.

I am mechanically inclined but not very electronically inclined, I can do all the basic stuff, brakes, rotors, fuel pumps, spark plugs, oil change, radiator flush/change, suspension, wheel bearings work etc.

Just wondering what you guys would do?

Buy the warranty, I have heard good things about Carmax warranty, or not.

What are the biggest issues with these cars between 17k and 75K would it be worth the $1500.

Thanks for any input guys....

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
If you intend hanging on to the car for at least another 5 years then yes, probably a good idea. Carmax seems to get good reviews for their warranties.
The only real issue that seems to come up here from time to time involves coolant intrusion into the cylinder head which usually results in replacement of the block or engine which would certainly cost more than your $1,500 Carmax premium.
In saying that this usually occurs in the earlier 1.6L and 1.5L Ecoboost engines and a few 2L ones but certainly only occurs in the minority of Escapes so please don't let it put you off your purchase as the vast majority do no suffer from this issue. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
With all of the electronics in these things?!? When I couldn't trade this year, I immediately bought a warranty on-line from Flood Ford. Ford offers one that covers lighting. (Some LED lights require changing the entire assembly.) Sounds like you found a nice car. I'd definitely get an extended warranty just due the electronics. I've heard all good stuff about Carmax.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Research FORSCAN on this forum. You can use it to change some of the settings in you car to do things like enable "bambi" mode (fogs, low, and high beams all at once), open and shut all your windows using your keyfob, etc. I've done lots on my F150 Lariat. My lowly 2019 Escape S is "ultra base" so there isn't much to configure. But I got it for $16,100 with a 6 year, 75k mile PremiumCare warranty. 40% off sticker because it was a dealer demo with 3500 miles on it. Could sell it for more than I bought it for in these crazy times!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I picked up the Escape yesterday been on a long drive this afternoon and love how this thing drives, seems to soak up some pretty narly roads with ease.
I got the FordPass set up and set my morning remote start up times, hopefully she'll be nice and warm fir my work drive in the a.m.

There are a couple of things I would like to change with the car, the Global windows up/down doesn't seem to work, so I would like to have that working along with Bambi mode, the AC/Heat/ Heated Seats/Steering Wheel buttons on the Sync screen, I have a OBD Link MX+ and have just registered with Forscan to buy their software.

I have watched a couple of videos and it seems fairly straight forward, has anyone made any of these changes to their cars?

Thanks guys.
Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
52 Posts
You don't have to buy their software. The FORSCAN software is free and you can get an extended license which is good for 2 months. Up to this point, they will renew it for no cost. You can buy a longer license, but you don't need to.

·
Registered
2017 FE Titanium 2.0 LOADED
10 Posts
You don't have to buy their software. The FORSCAN software is free and you can get an extended license which is good for 2 months. Up to this point, they will renew it for no cost. You can buy a longer license, but you don't need to.

I updated my 2017 2.0L Ti in October.
Updated Sync3 to the latest version 3.4 using cyanlabs rather than Ford's website. https://cyanlabs.net/
They have an easier method of downloading to a USB Thumbdrive. Plenty to read and very thorough. I was then able to configure the touchscreen using Forscan. Had to follow the F150 spreadsheet for settings.
NOT ABLE TO FIND A SETTING FOR GLOBAL WINDOWS
1). Double Honk I disable
2). Navigation repeater on Instrument Cluster.
3). Sync screen now has the MY2020 GT look. VERY COOL BLUE THEME !!
4). Climate Control added to the touchscreen ( heated seats and wheel don't function though)
5). Updated the NA Maps (came with Sync Ver 3.4)
6). Changed the Rear camera in SETTINGS to DELAY (this will keep active the camera in drive mode up to 7 Mph)
7). Steering Wheel feature that I really dig. I tap different parts of the steering wheel to the music. Very nice percussions :cool:
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
About to be a new 2018 Titanium owner fully loaded, the car has been a one owner and currently has 16k miles, I'm picking the car up from Carmax on Saturday 27th.

I know the bumper to bumper warranty has expired but I believe the powertrain is still active (5 hears 60k miles) anyhow I have the option to buy the Carmax warranty a 75k, 60 month warranty with $200 deductible $150 if you use one of their recommended facilities for $1500, I drive under 10k miles per year so the warranty should be good for 5 years.

I am mechanically inclined but not very electronically inclined, I can do all the basic stuff, brakes, rotors, fuel pumps, spark plugs, oil change, radiator flush/change, suspension, wheel bearings work etc.

Just wondering what you guys would do?

Buy the warranty, I have heard good things about Carmax warranty, or not.

All the car finance I needed I got via Carplus. They did a great job considering terms and my bad credit score. Highly recommend!

Thanks for any input guys....
An old school chum of mine had some deals with Carmax in the past (like 3 years ago) and as far as I remember he had no complaints about their warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts