2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Nick. I've already done some good research on the forum about my future car purchase. I do have one question though, how is the sound quality of the 9 speaker, non Sony stereo on the 2013 SEL? I can't really find anything about it anywhere. Thanks in advance for any opinions!!!

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Welcome, can't answer your question, I have the Sony, like most factory stereos it is adequate, but don't expect to be blown away by it vs after market or very high end cars.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E AWD
5,339 Posts
Hi, Nick, welcome to the forum!

That's a very subjective issue. I'm into audio mods and have followed most of the audio posts on the forum, so I'll risk a summary of what I've read here (please note that the non-Sony 9-speaker system has remained unchanged for all models with that system from '13-'15 years; I've seen no indication that Ford has changed the audio module for that system within the Escape line; that is not true for the Sony system, which has 'evolved' a bit with some specific module changes) ....

1. Most complaints about sound quality seem to relate more to the source (e.g. folks not liking the sound quality of the Sirius broadcasts) than to the non-Sony system itself. FWIW I've done lots of testing and can assure you that the head unit is quite capable of providing a clean 20Hz to 20kHz signal, so if the source is good (e.g. uncompressed music on USB or CD) and the speakers are good, the sound quality is good.

2. Some folks seem to prefer more bass than the non-Sony system delivers; that's not an overwhelming majority by any means, so seems to be one of the personal preference/music preference issues.

3. A 'double handfull' of members have installed aftermarket speakers with no other mods and like the result. If there's a 'weak link' in the system it is probably the speakers, but lots of folks are perfectly happy with the OEM.

4. A much smaller group of members have installed after market amps, subwoofers and even DSP. I happen to be in that group, but those are changes to move the system to a different level, not due to any inherent problem with what the original non-Sony is intended to give at its value range.

In general it seems that most folks are happy with the value they got for their sound system. I don't think you'll find any ongoing 'problem' or 'issue' threads specific to the non-Sony 9-speaker system.

But the important thing is for you to listen to the car you're interested in and decide what your ears like (or don't). Take a CD of 'known to you' music and give it a listen when you check-out the car. That's the best way to know what works for your ears and music tastes. IF, for example, you like very loud bass-heavy music you are likely to find the system 'lacking' compared to listeners that lean toward some other music preferences. When you do a listening test, take a moment to check the settings to ensure that the bass/mid/treble/balance are 'flat / centered' so you aren't mislead by some weird system settings by the last person in the car ;-)

IF you're inclined to audio mods in your cars (again, all my comments are about the non-Sony system) .....

+ The speakers are all standard sizes with widely available 'upgrades' on the market. All except the center dash speaker are standard nominal 4 Ohm speakers (the center dash speaker is a bit more troublesome at 8 Ohms). There are plenty of threads about speaker upgrades here that show how to get behind the door panels and talk about specific speakers folks have used successfully.

+ There are no pre-amp outputs available on the non-Sony system. But there are plenty of options for adding amps using speaker level inputs or an LOC if you're inclined to do so, and you can keep all of the nifty control functionality that your FE came with. Again, there's threads about those types of mods if you want to pursue that.

Hope that helps, good luck with your buying search!

PS - as you do more research on this forum, always be careful to try to figure out if folks are talking about the Sony or Non-Sony system .... unfortunately that's not always made clear, and lots of threads have posts mixed between the two ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
For me the stereo system work pretty well. Like many Ford stereo systems though you don't need to turn the clicker very much until your music is blasting already. So far my passengers haven't complained either and they usually love their music.

Reactions: Vader101
1 - 5 of 5 Posts