2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium AWD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

A few weeks ago, I picked up a pre-owned Escape in really nice shape and my wife is enjoying it. I've got a few questions as a new Escape owner and a first time hybrid owner:
  1. Is there a way to engage an electric only mode? In all my research, I heard several times "The Escape Hybrid can go over 30 miles distance in electric only mode as well as over 80 mph in electric only mode." I just can't figure out a way to put the car in electric only mode.
  2. Does the automatic life gate closure seem too hard for anybody else? We previously owned an Toyota Sienna and the closure was fairly soft and quiet. The Escape is much more forceful and rough.
  3. Has anyone figured out the most consistent way to use the "Hands free" procedure on the auto liftgate? A straight forward kick seems to get it most of the time for me but not for my wife. It seems very inconsistent as to when it works. My Dad's GMC Terrain is inconsistent as well.
  4. I read that some early production models who had the "Premium Package" on the Titanium trim (which mine is) were supposed to get wireless charging, but didn't. That's our situation, so has anyone tried to get a dealer to add that under warranty?
Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

·
Registered
2020 Escape Hybrid Titanium
486 Posts
1) Not in Hybrid. The plug-in version will have a claimed 30 mile range. It will have the EV modes you're looking for. No plug-ins have shipped as yet; lots of promises but no cars delivered.

The best you will do is drop into EV when driving downhill, so EV demand is minimized, and use the ICE uphill, so gravity adds to engine load.

2) take a close look. Mine slows down at the end and pulls the liftgate in gently.

3) Welcome to kick! C-Max was the same hunt-and-peck until I added a hitch... then one and only one spot worked, but it was 100%. I use the hand latch.

4) No wireless charging in mine (Jan 2020), and you won't get it added for free unless it's on your Mulroney sticker.

You really a Fusion owner? Try asking here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answers and I do apologize for the confusion. I have now fixed my profile. The Escape is my wife's car which is why I came here, but I do drive a Fusion, so I guess I instinctively typed that. :oops:

The wireless charging is not on my sticker. Sigh.

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,520 Posts
Hey All,

A few weeks ago, I picked up a pre-owned Escape in really nice shape and my wife is enjoying it. I've got a few questions as a new Escape owner and a first time hybrid owner:
  1. Is there a way to engage an electric only mode? In all my research, I heard several times "The Escape Hybrid can go over 30 miles distance in electric only mode as well as over 80 mph in electric only mode." I just can't figure out a way to put the car in electric only mode.
  2. Does the automatic life gate closure seem too hard for anybody else? We previously owned an Toyota Sienna and the closure was fairly soft and quiet. The Escape is much more forceful and rough.
  3. Has anyone figured out the most consistent way to use the "Hands free" procedure on the auto liftgate? A straight forward kick seems to get it most of the time for me but not for my wife. It seems very inconsistent as to when it works. My Dad's GMC Terrain is inconsistent as well.
  4. I read that some early production models who had the "Premium Package" on the Titanium trim (which mine is) were supposed to get wireless charging, but didn't. That's our situation, so has anyone tried to get a dealer to add that under warranty?
Thanks in advance for any info you might have.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new to you Escape. You might want to consider searching the forum for your questions. Some of them have been asked before on here. Also, it is better to separate your questions into separate threads, in the applicable sub forum. Having one thread with multiple different questions makes it harder for other members to find the same answers they may need in the future.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Regarding the kick, I had trouble in the first few weeks but now I seem to get it 99% with a straight front and back kick (no sweeping the leg). Maybe it needs to break in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I think I'm getting the hang of where the optimal spot is. Right now what seems to work best is a straight front and back kick (as you stated) aligned just to the left of the rear parking sensor on the passenger side. I did crawl up under the back of the bumper and there is no exposed sensor that I can find. I must be above that diamond plate aluminum looking piece that covers much of the undercarriage back there. Maybe that's why the "Hands Free" system is inconsistent. :LOL:

·
Registered
98 Posts
In the 2015, the sensor was a maybe 2 foot long strip that was on the inside of the bumper, between the exhaust cutouts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts