2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Last Thursday, I bought a 2013 Escape Titanium. When I get to 25 mph and above, I hear some noise from the rear. The dealer says it’s road noise. Is this true, or could there be a problem? Greatly appreciate any input, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
What is the mileage on this car? What engine do you have? The more details you provide, the better chance someone on here can help you. :)

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
Also, do you have AWD?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can you describe the noise to us??? I will say that these cars do have some road noise, which sounds like it is in the rear wheels, but nothing that the audio system wont fix. You might try and see if it changes on the type of road surface you are on, You can try and swerve left and right and see if it gets better or worse with change of direction. You can also wipe your open hand over the tread of the tires especially on the outside edge and inside edge and see if they are smooth or have a cupped feeling to any of them, cupped tires can be very noise, usually the noise will get better at 60 to 70 MPH with a cupped tire more noise at slow speed. Also what type of tires are on the car?? all season?? or an aggressive winter type tire??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mileage is 74k, engine is 2.0 eco boos, it is all wheel drive. The tires are new. Not sure what type. They don’t look like aggressive tread design. Noise doesn’t get quieter at 69 or 70. Also, doesn’t seem different on different road surfaces. Will check brand & type of tire tomorrow.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It could be that the tires simply need to be rebalanced. I've had some cars have some funky noise from unbalanced tires. In the front, it's easier to notice, because you can feel it in the steering wheel. But in the rear, you just get noise! That's the cheapest, easiest solution.

If it's not that, take a look at, or have someone take a look at the AWD system and rear diff. That's a scary thought, but any dealer worth their salt will take back a car within 30 days or offers some sort warranty or repair, or at least offers to cover a good chunk of it.

Good luck, and let us know!

·
Registered
552 Posts
The rear diff is referred to as "lifetime" for fluid. I have a 2013 Titanium AWD with 84,000 miles. Over the summer I did the drain and fill process on my rear differential (not hard just awkward access plug). I did this after watching some YouTube videos where others with less miles had little to no fluid left and what was left was almost glue like.

The rear diff does not hold much fluid but if you can't do it yourself, have it "drained" and filled. The rear-diff is not serviceable but if faulty is replaced as a whole assembly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The rear diff is referred to as "lifetime" for fluid. I have a 2013 Titanium AWD with 84,000 miles. Over the summer I did the drain and fill process on my rear differential (not hard just awkward access plug). I did this after watching some YouTube videos where others with less miles had little to no fluid left and what was left was almost glue like.

The rear diff does not hold much fluid but if you can't do it yourself, have it "drained" and filled. The rear-diff is not serviceable but if faulty is replaced as a whole assembly.
Yes. I trust almost nothing that says "lifetime". I know they can't be fixed, but it can be diagnosed if it is the problem. I say drain 'em and fill 'em when you do transmission service, just for peace of mind and weight of wallet. And for the love of God, don't trust extended intervals for fluids if you drive in less than optimal conditions (extreme temps, towing, hilly areas) or drive hard regularly! Heat is a killer and non-degraded fluids are your bodyguards.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm thinking along the same lines. I'm starting to get a whine/hum from underneath like there is something low on fluid, like a differential or a transfer case. Mine's a 2014, built in Sept. 2013. It could be the tires. They are original, and I've seen on the forums where some people felt the Continental tires were noisy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm thinking along the same lines. I'm starting to get a whine/hum from underneath like there is something low on fluid, like a differential or a transfer case. Mine's a 2014, built in Sept. 2013. It could be the tires. They are original, and I've seen on the forums where some people felt the Continental tires were noisy.
Those Continentals suck, in my opinion. Mine came on them, too. Super noisy, not great in snow, not that smooth, but cost as much as a quiet, higher end all season. I replaced them with a set of Goodyear Assurance Maxlifes. So much better.

As for the diff and transfer case, I'd definitely look into some fresh fluid, 80W-90 and for the PTU (transfer case) 75W-140. I hear the rear diff is...challenging. No drain plug, but a filler. Likely a syringe and tube would be needed, and some patience. But worth it if it keeps it on the road.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Those Continentals suck, in my opinion. Mine came on them, too. Super noisy, not great in snow, not that smooth, but cost as much as a quiet, higher end all season. I replaced them with a set of Goodyear Assurance Maxlifes. So much better.

As for the diff and transfer case, I'd definitely look into some fresh fluid, 80W-90 and for the PTU (transfer case) 75W-140. I hear the rear diff is...challenging. No drain plug, but a filler. Likely a syringe and tube would be needed, and some patience. But worth it if it keeps it on the road.
Yeah, it just seems odd that it would be needed with less than 30,000 miles, when it used to be you hardly ever thought about it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, depends on alignment, balance, etc. Check out other things, for sure. But never rule out a tire issue, or just plain noisy tires.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not ruling out anything right now. I want to check the easiest, but possibly costliest, first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts