2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes, you're right. I remember reading about it. I guess it shows how many of those EcoSports I sold. They are horrible.
Few in the US will buy a 1liter engine unless gas is near $5 a gallon. It’s for the future here, now in Europe.

It’s really quite impressive what they’ve gotten out of an engine so small the block can fit in carry on luggage!
Insane!
See this:

I take it you never drove a 1.6l VW bug? The old one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Can we move the discussion back to the engines in 2020 Escapes
This is about the 2020’s. It’s about Ford’s engine technology.
The 3 cylinder 1.5l is basically the same thing. The 1.0l is the parent motor.

I can’t find squat on the new 1.5 or I’d have posted it. Not saying it isn’t out there somewhere.

·
Super Moderator
5,520 Posts
This is about the 2020’s. It’s about Ford’s engine technology.
The OP wanted to discuss the new power plants in the 2020’s. Which is related to the 3 engines currently offered. Not the 1.0L engine. I would suggest if anyone wants to discuss the 1.0L engine they are welcome to start a new thread in the off topic section. Once the new 1.5 has been out there longer, then more information will come out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I posted some about the 1.0L because 1.5L is based on that engine. 1.5L is improved, like it doesn't have the belt driven oil pump. There is some technical information in Fords OASIS for Ford techs, but it is not super intensive.
1.5L is really important to Ford because it is in Escape to replace the 1.5L and 2.5L. That's a monumental task for such a important product. I also sell them and will be driving one in the future depending on the fact if I like the hybrid better.
Also, 1.0L is doesn't get very good gas mileage, especially for EcoSport, so it is not my favorite. Hopefully 1.5L will do better.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I posted some about the 1.0L because 1.5L is based on that engine. 1.5L is improved, like it doesn't have the belt driven oil pump. There is some technical information in Fords OASIS for Ford techs, but it is not super intensive.
1.5L is really important to Ford because it is in Escape to replace the 1.5L and 2.5L. That's a monumental task for such a important product. I also sell them and will be driving one in the future depending on the fact if I like the hybrid better.
Also, 1.0L is doesn't get very good gas mileage, especially for EcoSport, so it is not my favorite. Hopefully 1.5L will do better.
Exactly. Hey, at least someone is posting about something.

Found this on the 1.0l based, 2020 1.5l 3 cylinder

Not sure I get the point of ditching the 1.6l 4 cylinder for a 1.5l 3 cylinder. I’ve read something on manufacturers coalescing some engines around 500cc per cylinder. So 3 cyl 1.5l, 4cyl 2 liter

·
Registered
14 Posts
Exactly. Hey, at least someone is posting about something.

Found this on the 1.0l based, 2020 1.5l 3 cylinder

Not sure I get the point of ditching the 1.6l 4 cylinder for a 1.5l 3 cylinder. I’ve read something on manufacturers coalescing some engines around 500cc per cylinder. So 3 cyl 1.5l, 4cyl 2 liter
I've seen that video. I don't know why Ford went with 1.5L I3 vs I4. From what I see so far, I3 is more fuel efficient. Also cylinder deactivation is cheaper. So overall more cost effective engine. Perhaps reliable because of timing chain, unsure about cylinder deactivation.
My biggest concerns are how reliable that cylinder deactivation will be, how well it will manage carbon buildup and most importantly, engine vibration.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Looks like Ford is closing the plant in Wales that makes its 1.5l 3cylinder Dragon engine. Happens in 2020.

Paste this in browser:
Edit- nope, looks like Financial Times won’t allow links. Turns into a subscription page.
This works:

·
Registered
14 Posts
41 - 50 of 50 Posts