2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I haven't found a whole lot in terms of upgrading the Sony system. I have a '13 Titanium 2.0 with the Sony (9 speakers plus sub, I believe). Yes, yes, I am young and love my bass. My vehicle is leased, I talked to my Ford guy and he said that as long as everything is back to stock when I return the car, I can go crazy with some new subs. I'm not worried about trunk space because I rarely ever haul anything, so I would probably be fine with a regular box enclosure. My question is: is it possible to throw in a couple 12" subs with a new amp without having to tear the car apart yet make it easy to pull out (have a technician do so) at the end of my lease, should I decide not to buy it outright? I just think the bass in mine isn't quite up to par ;) Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've added a 12" sub in my G8's trunk, with my amp and eqx mounted to the sub box. I used a signal relay switch spliced into the speaker signal for the blue remote wire and high level input for my Audio Control EQX. All I have to do is disconnect the plug on my eq (which holds the speaker and blue remote wire), I can pull my entire sub system out in under 3 min.

Bazooka tubes, or any tube for that matter, will limit the frequencies that can be produced. A sealed box and strong amp with low S/N ratio is the best way to go IMO. I'm using a Precision Power PC2300 for up to two 12" subs.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi all,

So I haven't found a whole lot in terms of upgrading the Sony system. I have a '13 Titanium 2.0 with the Sony (9 speakers plus sub, I believe). Yes, yes, I am young and love my bass. My vehicle is leased, I talked to my Ford guy and he said that as long as everything is back to stock when I return the car, I can go crazy with some new subs. I'm not worried about trunk space because I rarely ever haul anything, so I would probably be fine with a regular box enclosure. My question is: is it possible to throw in a couple 12" subs with a new amp without having to tear the car apart yet make it easy to pull out (have a technician do so) at the end of my lease, should I decide not to buy it outright? I just think the bass in mine isn't quite up to par ;) Thanks in advance!
I've leased all my cars and customized all of my stereos in them. You shouldn't have a problem adding any speakers to the car at all. In my previous vehicle I replaced all four speakers and the factory sub, adding higher wattage speakers and a 12" Kicker in its own sealed enclosure. All of this I did with the stock head unit in, so when I took it anywhere (like the dealer) no one would know what I was packing. Most of the wiring is going to be hidden any way, so what you do is store any of the stock material you swapped out somewhere (door speakers, subs) so they won't get damaged, and just put it all back when its time to give back the lease...the wiring that goes from the radio to the amp you can just leave in the car tucked in real nicely, chances are the dealers is never going to see this.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would like better bass but I'm not willing to sacrifice any cargo area to house a box.
Has anyone just replaced the stock Sony sub in the original location?

In my first two Camaro's I had custom made boxes housing two MTX 12's with an MTX amp. That was loud.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would like better bass but I'm not willing to sacrifice any cargo area to house a box.

In my first two Camaro's I had custom made boxes housing two MTX 12's with an MTX amp. That was loud.
You can get a shallow mount air-free subwoofer which will take up very little space and not require a box, but even a little box will help. I think Pioneer makes them, check out the Pioneer website.

·
Registered
286 Posts

I don't think you will get any better bass than what you have now by just replacing the sub. A different enclosure is what you need. So either go with a shallow mount box like EscapeFan suggested, or get yourself a small cube, either of those will be much better than what you have now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went by Best Buy today to check out some good deals. Sounds like it's no problem to throw in a sub or two in a box and be able to pull them out when I return it. I'm probably going to go with this (Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 1260w 12-Inch 1200-watt High-Performance Subwoofer (Single Voice Coil): Electronics) and keep the stock Sony 10" that came with the car alive and just use a line out module from the Sony amp to get a signal to my sub amp. That way I can get the higher frequencies routed to the 10" and grab those lower, more powerful notes and route those over to the new sub. Should be good. I think I'll throw in a sub controller also, so I can dial it back down when grandma's in the car :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts