2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I've been running that for a couple month .......cyanlabs.
Well, that's interesting as that indicates that the Cyanlabs updates are ahead of the Ford ones but are the same build number. However Cyanlabs does not update sync on the 2020 + models.
So the 2017 to 2019 models sync 3 can be updated by Cyanlabs with free maps and have the same sync. 3.4 system as the 2020/21 models.
On another forum I was told that the latest Ford sync update creates the sync 3.4 build 21020 on my 2017 model but this did not happen in my case as it just updated to sync 3.025 or similar and build 20204.
The risk is that if I update my model with Cyanlabs to the latest 3.4 version the future Ford updates will no longer work as they will only work with the latest model.

More world changing decisions... :p :p

Reactions: WhiteGhost

·
Administrator
2014 Ford Escape Titanium, 2.0L, Sync 2 MFT
5,438 Posts
I've been running that for a couple month .......cyanlabs.
This thread is just for 2020 and newer Escapes. According to your signature you have a 3G Escape.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid AWD, Desert Gold
25 Posts
Does anyone know what was fixed/changed in this version of software? Is there also a new map file? Does this new version break anything that was working? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Does anyone know what was fixed/changed in this version of software? Is there also a new map file? Does this new version break anything that was working? Thanks.
Depends what software you're coming from (of course) for what is different. My piece there's nothing new since 3.4.20282 and won't be until summer. For map, the NA 20Q2 maps are going out OTA, along with this software. It's not on the ALOM map update website yet. I'm not sure if the OTA is enabled yet for all vehicle programs, sometimes there can be a bit of delay there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Based on other vehicles looks like this update may improve the speed of carplay and sync3 as well as enable you to download the latest version of the maps (NA120)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just updated to sync3.V3-4-21020 using USB flash drive and when I went out later to start the car and scan for updates I got this downloading. Appears to be a big file as it is taking some time.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I just updated to sync3.V3-4-21020 using USB flash drive and when I went out later to start the car and scan for updates I got this downloading. Appears to be a big file as it is taking some time. View attachment 79269
Maps. There will be several.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Were you connected to wifi or does it download it over the car's cellular modem?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I tried scanning for new software but nothing comes up. I have never seen OTA updates since I got the car actually last September. Is OTA updates working for anyone?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Were you connected to wifi or does it download it over the car's cellular modem?
WiFi only.

I tried scanning for new software but nothing comes up. I have never seen OTA updates since I got the car actually last September. Is OTA updates working for anyone?
This is the first OTA update to kick on in quite some time. I think the last one for core software was last August.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
887 Posts
The official app update also includes a GraceNotes update.
As far as CyanLab being ahead, think of what it out there on Ford's servers as being a beta release until it goes live.
Using the app as an example, the original CyanLab download was pulling down a voice file that got superseded on 4/1 and that is included in the latest Ford release on the SyncMy Ride site.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
887 Posts
Well, that's interesting as that indicates that the Cyanlabs updates are ahead of the Ford ones but are the same build number. However Cyanlabs does not update sync on the 2020 + models.
So the 2017 to 2019 models sync 3 can be updated by Cyanlabs with free maps and have the same sync. 3.4 system as the 2020/21 models.
On another forum I was told that the latest Ford sync update creates the sync 3.4 build 21020 on my 2017 model but this did not happen in my case as it just updated to sync 3.025 or similar and build 20204.
The risk is that if I update my model with Cyanlabs to the latest 3.4 version the future Ford updates will no longer work as they will only work with the latest model.

More world changing decisions... :p :p
To answer this...
The H & J series APIMs in the 2017/2018 have different hardware specs and storage formatting than the K/L/M series APIMs (which shipped with a version of Sync higher than 3.1), they won't have an official release above 3.0.x.

In order to put 3.4.x on an H or J series the unit has to be reformatted (CyanLab's build includes the tool) at which point you'll have 3.4 (the note here being that anytime you try to use the Ford official update as downloaded from Ford's site you'll get an error that the hardware is unsupported so you have to do a custom install file to get around the hardware check).
J series APIMs can usually be reformatted without any problem, H series there's a high chance of bricking the unit, it's also not recommended that you try and turn a non-NAV APIM into a NAV APIM as the non-NAV units do not have enough storage and memory to run the NAV application without it freezing or hanging.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Interesting, after I installed the SYNC v3.4.21020 (USB) and the Map NA220 (OTA) two more lengthy automatic system updates were downloaded and installed OTA.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Interesting, after I installed the SYNC v3.4.21020 (USB) and the Map NA220 (OTA) two more lengthy automatic system updates were downloaded and installed OTA.
Maps have 9 chunks, plus 3 for the accompanying voice data. You'll likely see more roll in.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep,
Maps have 9 chunks, plus 3 for the accompanying voice data. You'll likely see more roll in.
Yep, just got one more. Does the car need to be running for all of these?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts