2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Escape SE Sport Hybrid AWD
28 Posts
I didn't do anything special. I just checked for updates and it began downloading sitting in the garage. I have it connected to my 5GHz which probably speeds up download time. If you are using 2.4GHZ, it will more than likely be slower.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid AWD, Desert Gold
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Same here, no XML file. Last time I did an update no file either but my status on the Ford Owners site updated correctly. Not sure it's needed anymore.
Same here as well. Update went well but no XML file to upload.

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Hybrid with Premium Package Agate Black Metallic with Black Leather
70 Posts
What a relief to have Sirius XM work again!
So nice!! I was on a two week road trip snd it was like Russian roulette with that damn Sirius

Reactions: jjm

·
Registered
2020 Escape SEL 2.0L AWD
38 Posts
I did a Chat on the Ford site to ask about the lack of the XML file on the UBS from a successful Sync update. I was told to follow this procedure: 1). Log on to a strong WiFi signal; 2). Turn the car off; 3). Open the drivers door; 4). Lock and car; 5). Close the door.

The connected WiFi is supposed to inform the web site that you have done the update. I tried this twice (once locking the door with the fob and once with the lock button on the drivers door) and in neither case did the web site (the following day giving it what I assumed was enough time to update) did it indicate. Has anyone else read or been told this new process, and did it work for you if so?

·
Registered
2021 Sport Hybrid FWD SE
145 Posts
I did a Chat on the Ford site to ask about the lack of the XML file on the UBS from a successful Sync update. I was told to follow this procedure: 1). Log on to a strong WiFi signal; 2). Turn the car off; 3). Open the drivers door; 4). Lock and car; 5). Close the door.

The connected WiFi is supposed to inform the web site that you have done the update. I tried this twice (once locking the door with the fob and once with the lock button on the drivers door) and in neither case did the web site (the following day giving it what I assumed was enough time to update) did it indicate. Has anyone else read or been told this new process, and did it work for you if so?
just sit tight. I had the same issue and it went away by itself in about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
just sit tight. I had the same issue and it went away by itself in about 2 weeks.
I think that is correct. It often takes around 2 weeks for the auto wifi to acknowledge that there is a new update when it is first announced and you update it through wifi and the same sometimes applies regarding the system acknowledging that the update is completed by wifi.
Probably the same in this case.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SEL 2.0L AWD
38 Posts
I will sit tight. For one thing, when another update is made available, the version (build) numbers will be different than the current. The time before this latest update, the "Update Available" remained until this latest update was posted, so the "wait and see" method didn't work for me last time, but maybe it will this time. As an FYI, my update was done through the USB not the WiFi.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I will sit tight. For one thing, when another update is made available, the version (build) numbers will be different than the current. The time before this latest update, the "Update Available" remained until this latest update was posted, so the "wait and see" method didn't work for me last time, but maybe it will this time. As an FYI, my update was done through the USB not the WiFi.
Sorry, I just could not understand why Ford would tell you to confirm the update by wifi when you uploaded it by USB.
If you updated by wifi normally by magic it advises the system of the update promptly but I don't know how wifi could recognize a USB update.
I don't know about a missing file but perhaps there is a glitch in the system that won't allow you to report the USB update. Others here who have performed the update should be able to advise if they were able to confirm it successfully, surely.
It has always worked in the past to my knowledge.

·
Registered
2020 Escape SEL 2.0L AWD
38 Posts
I suspect that the WiFi process (had it worked) wouldn't know anything about the USB update specifically, but could recognize the change in the build on the car vs that which is being offered on the web site, and if they are the same, it would indicate the car being up to date. Same way the WiFi could tell that it needed to download a more recent update.

The first couple of updates since I bought the car on 2020-07-03 I did through a download to the USB created an XML file in the SyncMyRide folder off the root of the USB. I returned to the Ford site and did "Step 3" which was to browse to the XML that was created on the USB and upload it so the site would record that I had done the update, which worked just fine.

The last two updates didn't create the XML (several other people on this thread had said they too did not find the XML). In the the Chat from the web site with Ford I explained that I had done the USB method since the WiFi never completed on its own, and that previously there had been an XML created on the USB. She confirmed that the process used to create the XML file, but no longer does create the XML, and she then gave me the WiFi steps to follow.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid Titanium
164 Posts
What a relief to have Sirius XM work again!
Well, I spoke a bit too soon. I wouldn't say "Sirius XM works" again; I would now say "Sirius XM works a whole lot better, but still has some glitches."

The glitches I still notice are these:
  1. If I turn on the audio too soon after starting the car, I either can't switch SXM stations right away (if the system was already tuned to a SXM station when I turned off the vehicle) or I can't select a SXM station (if the system had NOT been tuned to a SXM station when I turned off the vehicle). "Too soon" means within a minute or two of starting the car. The. workaround seems to be to turn the audio off and back on again, sometimes multiple times.
  2. TravelLink is still very spotty. Sometimes I can click Traffic or one of the other buttons, I get the rotating arrows indicating the system is updating that particular TrafficLink feature, and then the icons just go back to what they were before I pushed the button. It's as if I had never pushed the button in the first place! Yesterday I had to push the Traffic button and wait for the refresh about 5 times before it "took" and gave me the traffic info I was seeking.
  3. The SXM station logos still often do not appear...I get the text description, but not the colored icon. No big deal, except that when the icons are not present, the SXM system is sluggish and sometimes changing the channel via a preset doesn't work (or rather, after pushing a preset button, the audio of the new channel doesn't come on and I have to choose a different preset and then go back to the preset I want).
Aside from the annoyance of all this, the bigger issue for me is safety. When I'm going down the road, I really shouldn't be taking my eyes off the road to futz with the infotainment system for as long as it takes to change SXM channels sometimes!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi all. I updated today from version 20282 to 21194 via USB stick. The update took about 30 minutes. When I was done, I took the USB stick back to my computer and there was an XML file created that I uploaded to Ford owner site and now it says my Sync 3.4 is up to date. I took the Escape for a short ride after and all seems good. Just wanted to let you guy's know that an XML file was created for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I spoke a bit too soon. I wouldn't say "Sirius XM works" again; I would now say "Sirius XM works a whole lot better, but still has some glitches."

1. If I turn on the audio too soon after starting the car, I either can't switch SXM stations right away (if the system was already tuned to a SXM station when I turned off the vehicle) or I can't select a SXM station (if the system had NOT been tuned to a SXM station when I turned off the vehicle). "Too soon" means within a minute or two of starting the car. The. workaround seems to be to turn the audio off and back on again, sometimes multiple times.
  2. TravelLink is still very spotty. Sometimes I can click Traffic or one of the other buttons, I get the rotating arrows indicating the system is updating that particular TrafficLink feature, and then the icons just go back to what they were before I pushed the button. It's as if I had never pushed the button in the first place! Yesterday I had to push the Traffic button and wait for the refresh about 5 times before it "took" and gave me the traffic info I was seeking.
  3. The SXM station logos still often do not appear...I get the text description, but not the colored icon. No big deal, except that when the icons are not present, the SXM system is sluggish and sometimes changing the channel via a preset doesn't work (or rather, after pushing a preset button, the audio of the new channel doesn't come on and I have to choose a different preset and then go back to the preset I want).
Aside from the annoyance of all this, the bigger issue for me is safety. When I'm going down the road, I really shouldn't be taking my eyes off the road to futz with the infotainment system for as long as it takes to change SXM channels sometimes!
I’ve had issue #1 above since I bought the vehicle 15 months ago. 😡😡😡

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

1. May be an AHU thing, or maybe be a delay in the channel list coming in from SXM at turn on. Just a guess though.
2. Normal. There's a delay as data comes in from SXM. If the subscription it active but no data is in yet, you'll get that spinner pop-up then nothing.
3. Logos comes down OTA from SXM. Also, these are linked to channel line-up so #1 may be partly to blame here as well. No channel line-up received so it'll show text until it links up. Do the logos eventually show up sometimes?

·
Registered
2020 Escape SEL 2.0L AWD
38 Posts
Hi all. I updated today from version 20282 to 21194 via USB stick. The update took about 30 minutes. When I was done, I took the USB stick back to my computer and there was an XML file created that I uploaded to Ford owner site and now it says my Sync 3.4 is up to date. I took the Escape for a short ride after and all seems good. Just wanted to let you guy's know that an XML file was created for me.
Interesting. Mine didn't create the expected XML the last couple of times I did the USB method, but maybe the recent updates started creating it again. The Ford Chat person said that had been discontinued, but now that doesn't sound as if it is correct.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Interesting. Mine didn't create th4e expected XML the last couple of times I did the USE method, but maybe the recent updates started creating it again. The Ford Chat person said that had been discontinued, but now that doesn't sound as if it is correct.
I'm not sure as I did skip the last couple of versions because of the problems being reported with them. This one I have no issues with and like I said I did find an XML file in the syncmyride folder on my USB thumb drive. Since it was created for me, I can only assume that it's not a discontinued method. Attached is a screenshot of my syncmyride folder of my USB drive and the XML file.

Rectangle Font Number Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
2020 Escape SEL 2.0L AWD
38 Posts
I'm not sure as I did skip the last couple of versions because of the problems being reported with them. This one I have no issues with and like I said I did find an XML file in the syncmyride folder on my USB thumb drive. Since it was created for me, I can only assume that it's not a discontinued method. Attached is a screenshot of my syncmyride folder of my USB drive and the XML file.

View attachment 80122
The first time or two for the USB update I did have the XML file, so I know it worked for me in the past. I am uncertain exactly what to believe at this point, but glad your update worked fine and that having the XML you can finish the update to complete it. My USB download was September 3rd, and as of today (September 20th) a check of the Ford site still shows I'm in need of an update (to SYNC3 v3.4.21194), so simply waiting as suggested in this thread and/or connecting to the WiFi from the vehicle as suggested by the Ford Chat representative didn't seem to let the site know I had done the update to the latest available version.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This missing XML file problem did happen to me once before and I was unable to confirm the update to Ford. What I did then was to erase the contents of USB drive. Then reload the same files from the download. I went out to my Escape and ran the update a second time. Since the update was already completed before, the update only ran for 5 minutes of so before it said that the update was complete. I then took the USB file to my PC and sure enough an XML file was created that time and I was able to confirm the update. I wouldn't recommend you doing that unless someone with more knowledge says it's okay to do that.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
This missing XML file problem did happen to me once before and I was unable to confirm the update to Ford. What I did then was to erase the contents of USB drive. Then reload the same files from the download. I went out to my Escape and ran the update a second time. Since the update was already completed before, the update only ran for 5 minutes of so before it said that the update was complete. I then took the USB file to my PC and sure enough an XML file was created that time and I was able to confirm the update. I wouldn't recommend you doing that unless someone with more knowledge says it's okay to do that.
Yeah....I think that is the go and those with this issue should try an overwrite. I doubt that would cause any problems but perhaps our friend @UofMEngineer could confirm that... :)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts