2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

New Sync software 3.4.21194

12K views 45 replies 16 participants last post by  buckeye4 
#1 ·
I just downloaded the latest version, 3.4.21194 , from the Ford website. Does anyone know what was fixed (or broken) in this latest release? Will this also update the maps?

#3 ·
I put this on some other forums when asked about it what changed with the voice file:

As is typical, when this is rev'd there are numerous new commands added, like 'go home', that folks are trying to use but don't work in older releases. Other quality of life items like re-wording a prompt to be more helpful, added error catches (like trying to launch CP/AA by voice which the system doesn't support), or directing the system to a new path to improve the UX.

Other items are fixes or improvements for ~1,000 names for better recognition, fixes for contacts stored with emojis where it may not have generated all the correct variants, added flexibility for recognizing commands like 'call mom' if a contact is stored as 'mom & dad' or 'mom / dad' in the phonebook. These would need a phonebook update to trigger. Easiest method is to update a contact on the phone, or re-pair.

If you've run into the scenario of having a partial map update with the missing nav voice pack, you'll now get an error prompt telling you to complete the map update if it detects that it's missing.
This shouldn't hit any Escape as they never shipped with v3.3, but it's there anyway in case of some OTA map update problem, etc.

#5 ·
I downloaded this in the morning and my sirius travel link stuff is fixed. My biggest issue with the last version was sirius radio not working after a restart. Hopefully that is resolved with this update.

#10 · (Edited)
My update today via USB to the latest version completed successfully in about 30 minutes, and shows the latest build # info. I don't find the expected XML file to use on the download page to indicate to Ford that I had done the update and then to not indicate that there is a new version available (until the next one that is). Do others find that their update didn't generate the expected XML file?

#15 ·
Same here, no XML file. Last time I did an update no file either but my status on the Ford Owners site updated correctly. Not sure it's needed anymore.

#12 ·
Also, friendly reminder to enable the diagnostics option in the settings menu. In case something crashes, like Sirius, it'll send in a report automatically when it hits WiFi (if you have it connected). Yu can also send manual bug reports through the same settings menu.

#16 ·
Is there any technical improvements planned like moving between settings are smoother, less car play sound cut outs and overall stability? My 2020 escape hybrid titanium is very glitchy especially with the audio. The dealer says too hopefully Ford is planning to integrate module updates with OTA updating to I don’t know how true that is….

#19 ·
ScottN: A little off topic, but how do you get your OTA updates? Mine has been downloading for days, progress bar moving ever so slowly. I am connected to my home wifi and the signal is good in the garage where I park. Obviously my vehicle is turned off then. TIA!

#25 · (Edited)
I did a Chat on the Ford site to ask about the lack of the XML file on the UBS from a successful Sync update. I was told to follow this procedure: 1). Log on to a strong WiFi signal; 2). Turn the car off; 3). Open the drivers door; 4). Lock and car; 5). Close the door.

The connected WiFi is supposed to inform the web site that you have done the update. I tried this twice (once locking the door with the fob and once with the lock button on the drivers door) and in neither case did the web site (the following day giving it what I assumed was enough time to update) did it indicate. Has anyone else read or been told this new process, and did it work for you if so?

#26 ·
I did a Chat on the Ford site to ask about the lack of the XML file on the UBS from a successful Sync update. I was told to follow this procedure: 1). Log on to a strong WiFi signal; 2). Turn the car off; 3). Open the drivers door; 4). Lock and car; 5). Close the door.

The connected WiFi is supposed to inform the web site that you have done the update. I tried this twice (once locking the door with the fob and once with the lock button on the drivers door) and in neither case did the web site (the following day giving it what I assumed was enough time to update) did it indicate. Has anyone else read or been told this new process, and did it work for you if so?
just sit tight. I had the same issue and it went away by itself in about 2 weeks.

#29 ·
I will sit tight. For one thing, when another update is made available, the version (build) numbers will be different than the current. The time before this latest update, the "Update Available" remained until this latest update was posted, so the "wait and see" method didn't work for me last time, but maybe it will this time. As an FYI, my update was done through the USB not the WiFi.

#30 · (Edited)
Sorry, I just could not understand why Ford would tell you to confirm the update by wifi when you uploaded it by USB.
If you updated by wifi normally by magic it advises the system of the update promptly but I don't know how wifi could recognize a USB update.
I don't know about a missing file but perhaps there is a glitch in the system that won't allow you to report the USB update. Others here who have performed the update should be able to advise if they were able to confirm it successfully, surely.
It has always worked in the past to my knowledge.

#31 · (Edited)
I suspect that the WiFi process (had it worked) wouldn't know anything about the USB update specifically, but could recognize the change in the build on the car vs that which is being offered on the web site, and if they are the same, it would indicate the car being up to date. Same way the WiFi could tell that it needed to download a more recent update.

The first couple of updates since I bought the car on 2020-07-03 I did through a download to the USB created an XML file in the SyncMyRide folder off the root of the USB. I returned to the Ford site and did "Step 3" which was to browse to the XML that was created on the USB and upload it so the site would record that I had done the update, which worked just fine.

The last two updates didn't create the XML (several other people on this thread had said they too did not find the XML). In the the Chat from the web site with Ford I explained that I had done the USB method since the WiFi never completed on its own, and that previously there had been an XML created on the USB. She confirmed that the process used to create the XML file, but no longer does create the XML, and she then gave me the WiFi steps to follow.

#33 ·
Hi all. I updated today from version 20282 to 21194 via USB stick. The update took about 30 minutes. When I was done, I took the USB stick back to my computer and there was an XML file created that I uploaded to Ford owner site and now it says my Sync 3.4 is up to date. I took the Escape for a short ride after and all seems good. Just wanted to let you guy's know that an XML file was created for me.

#39 ·
This missing XML file problem did happen to me once before and I was unable to confirm the update to Ford. What I did then was to erase the contents of USB drive. Then reload the same files from the download. I went out to my Escape and ran the update a second time. Since the update was already completed before, the update only ran for 5 minutes of so before it said that the update was complete. I then took the USB file to my PC and sure enough an XML file was created that time and I was able to confirm the update. I wouldn't recommend you doing that unless someone with more knowledge says it's okay to do that.

#42 ·
Successfully did the 3.421194 update on 8/30 with no XML file available for feedback. Today I noted the Ford Owner Site now shows my "SYNC system (SYNC3 v3.4.21194) is up to date."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.