2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Escape Titanium/2005 Ford Explorer Limited/1993 Ford Ranger XLT/1987 Jeep Wrangler
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

newbie to the forum here. Background is working on older cars (rebuilt a 1965 F100 with my dad when I was a teenager) and working on my other vehicles (2005 explorer and 1993 Ranger) as well as did a full rebuild on a 1987 Jeep Wrangler. My wife also has a 2003 Mazda Tribute but the 3rd gen Escape is a whole new world for me.

I couldn't find any direct answers searching so I wanted to see if anyone had an idea of whats going on.

Just got a 2017 Ford Escape Titanium/2.0L ecoboost with 25k miles. Its having some issues and I want to see if they are just normal to the Escapes or if its something I should have looked at while I'm under the dealerships 3 month limited warranty (I as also told the 5yr/60000 mile powertrain transfers as well).

I notice a burning exhaust/oil smell for the first 10-15 mins of driving (not noticeable when cabin air is on recirculation but can smell with windows down/air from outside). I can smell it when i stop the engine right by the back of the hood

Also it seems to hesitate/stutters when accelerating for the first minute or so (I dont think this is normal, its otherwise smooth once warmed up) and most noticeable when under 40mph) however does not throw a check engine light. I do have an OBD2 scanner that connects to my phone and I plan on checking parameters (if there's anything I should be looking for in particular let me know)

Also I do run 87 octane (since we are at 5,000ft elevation and its the minimum recommended I thought it would be ok to) if that's a possible issue

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2017 White/Gold Titanium 2.0 AWD
23 Posts
Burning oil smell isn't normal. Sounds like leaking oil is burning off on the exhaust manifold. Probably a gasket. You should bring it into the dealership where you bought it. You should be covered by the 90 day and also the 6 yr 50,000 mile engine/drivetrain warrantee.

·
Registered
888 Posts
FYI your 2 liter engine has the twin scroll engine!
there have been some major engine problems with this engine.
Coolant leaking into the engine oil
Look up all the TSB's on the 16>19 2 liter engines

1 - 3 of 3 Posts