2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
So my question is, I own a job1 2014 titanium 4wd 2.0 ecoboost. Is it just getting the dealer to do the update and I'll have the digital Speedo?
Has anyone here been able to get their dealer to actually do it?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got the update to the quad screen yesterday, and there is NO digital speedo. I know I have the very latest update, because the service tech updated the laptop just before they plugged it in to my FE.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
So the dealer finally called and said the car was updated to the latest version..I wasnt expecting the digital speedometer but the instant fuel econ would have been nice.. altho the update is out there wonder why it couldn't be updated. UGH

Reactions: Cosimo

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,431 Posts
I guess I should update this now based on the 1.6L recall

So to summarize the apparent history (and these aren't the literal firmware numbers):
v1 Original cluster for 2.5 & 2.0L no quad screen with fuel gauge bug (early 2012)
v1a Original cluster for 1.6L no quad screen (early 2012)
v1b Adds quad screen for the 1.6L, 2.5L & 2.0L but has fuel gauge bug affecting 2.0L/2.5L (mid of year 2013 - production load for 2014)
v2 Adds quad screen & fixes fuel bug for 2.5L & 2.0L (2/2013)
v2a Changes quad screen and replaces trip timer with instant mpg and has fuel gauge bug fix for 2.0L/2.5L (released 1/2014)
v2b Changes quad screen and replaces trip timer with instant mpg for 1.6L (released 1/2014)
v3a Unified cluster load for 1.6L/1.5L/2.0L/2.5L - contains all previous changes and adds digital speedo to trip info. Production load for Job 2 vehicles (11/2014)

BTW if you happen to get the digital speedo as well it means that there is a newer update than the one released in January.
since the procedure calls for the cluster to be flashed to add new warning messages...

v2c for 1.6L Adds cooling system instrumentation and messaging changes for recall 13S12 for MY 2013

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
HAHA apparently the 2.0's don't get the IFE option since my car has the "most recent" software according to the dealer..:eek:

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Interesting - I have the Digital Speedo. My 2014 was assembled 01/2014 - wonder if that has anything to do with it...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Mine is an early build.. got it almost 2 years ago.. I am done with the dealer.. I keep forgetting to find out if the oil change pkg I bought with it is only for that dealer if it is I need to cancel it.. I had it in my head to make sure it was taken care of by the dealer for oil changes etc because they should know what they are doing etc and the turbo engine concerned me.. so I know I fell for the pkg but told them I wanted their price for the pkg and the extended warranty.. It took me telling the service manager the quad screen update should have been done the first time since the service tech wasn't going to do it.. the last straw was the service writer telling me two weeks ago "you need to stay off those forums." Sorry I am ranting.

·
Registered
Sunset 2014 Escape Ti 2.0 Persian Green 2020 Escape Ti Hybrid
1,431 Posts
Just happened to be in a junk yard....

Interesting - I have the Digital Speedo. My 2014 was assembled 01/2014 - wonder if that has anything to do with it...
and I found an 2014 Escape with a build date of 10/13, so I pulled the cluster out.

Cluster shows a sticker with a build date August 19, 2013 and Model Year 2013.

Here's one from LKQ showing pretty much the same thing:
Image Sheet

So all Job 1 Escapes have the original 2013 cluster without the digital speedo, and Job 2 introduced the firmware enabling the digital speedo by default.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Job 1 2014. On my recent oil change I asked the dealer to update the trip info screen to the latest software as I noticed my DTE and fuel gauge are not very accurate. Often when my DTE is at 0 and I fill the tank it only takes about 13 gallons, so still 2 gallons left in the tank. The dealer said they checked but there were no updates available. I still have the trip timer in the quad screen. I wish there were an actual software update number or something to refer to prove there really is a newer version available.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I finally got my dealer to understand what I was asking for by referring them to TSB 13-02-01 "2013 Escape - Inaccurate/Erratic DTE -Premature Illumination Of Low Fuel Warning Lamp - Excessive Fuel Reserve Capacity May Reduce Perceived Driving Range" The dealer may have to update their computer before actually hooking up your car. Otherwise they may not have the latest info in their system. (That's what my dealer did.)

By the way, the computer doesn't estimate DTE much better even after the latest update. I filled up yesterday with the DTE at 4 miles, but my FE only took 13.4 gallons. Either the software still isn't working right, or we have defective sensors.

I have a Job 1 2014. On my recent oil change I asked the dealer to update the trip info screen to the latest software as I noticed my DTE and fuel gauge are not very accurate. Often when my DTE is at 0 and I fill the tank it only takes about 13 gallons, so still 2 gallons left in the tank. The dealer said they checked but there were no updates available. I still have the trip timer in the quad screen. I wish there were an actual software update number or something to refer to prove there really is a newer version available.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
I finally got my dealer to understand what I was asking for by referring them to TSB 13-02-01 "2013 Escape - Inaccurate/Erratic DTE -Premature Illumination Of Low Fuel Warning Lamp - Excessive Fuel Reserve Capacity May Reduce Perceived Driving Range" The dealer may have to update their computer before actually hooking up your car. Otherwise they may not have the latest info in their system. (That's what my dealer did.)

By the way, the computer doesn't estimate DTE much better even after the latest update. I filled up yesterday with the DTE at 4 miles, but my FE only took 13.4 gallons. Either the software still isn't working right, or we have defective sensors.

Sounds like you are running fine. The missing 2 gallons is in reserve, not just for usage, but protecting you from burning out your fuel pump.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Silly dealership's reply to my concerns.....

Interior panel dimmer (no dim in manual mode) - that works just fine

Fuel light comes on with over 4 gallons left in the tank - that's just fords way of being safe

Quad screen update - naw, there's no update

Digital speedo - that's only on Hybrid models

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Silly dealership's reply to my concerns.....

Interior panel dimmer (no dim in manual mode) - that works just fine

Fuel light comes on with over 4 gallons left in the tank - that's just fords way of being safe

Quad screen update - naw, there's no update

Digital speedo - that's only on Hybrid models
Those types of replies must drive Ford coprorate crazy and just drives customers to independent repair shops once the dealer serves no useful purpose after the warranty is up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If I was going to keep the vehicle, I would be more persistent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any news on this? Quite frustrated. Just bought my 2014 FE yesterday. I had driven about 4 of them from different dealers that had the digital speedo. I just figured that it was standard. I found mine on a dealers website a little farther away. I wanted the Titanium in Deep Impact Blue with the Stone interior. Could not find that combination at the 3 closest dealers. Everyone had the Charcoal black. Living in Arizona, I do not want an all black interior. Test drove it and never even thought to flip through the pages. On my way home I noticed that it was nowhere to be found. I am tempted to get the newer quad page update anyway. Trip timer is worthless.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts