2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 2018 Titanium 2.0 Eco AWD (see signature for details) and the floor shifter letters (P RNDS) do not light up when the headlights are on. The parking break right by it does. Everything else in the cabin has the same light blue illumination. So I brought it in to be looked at and the service technician stated that the car is not stock with floor shifter lighting and that my vehicle wasn't equipped with it. He is right, it wasn't equipped with it. The strip and LED that should be there was not present. Can anyone tell me if it should be there? I was told that it isn't suppose to be there. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Nope, Use the PRNDS(123456) on your instrument cluster. No need to look at the shift lever...

Reactions: MoneyPit1946

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I have seen pictures where a 2017 SE model has illuminated lighting. Interesting that a Titanium level trim doesn't have the LED strip. Very disappointing since I leave very early in the morning when it is dark and the horizontal movement of the selector on the instrument cluster doesn't jive with the vertical movement of the shifter. I'm tempted to order the part on EBay and install it myself.

Can anyone with a 2017/18 Titanium confirm that their letters don't light up?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
So I have seen pictures where a 2017 SE model has illuminated lighting. Interesting that a Titanium level trim doesn't have the LED strip. Very disappointing since I leave very early in the morning when it is dark and the horizontal movement of the selector on the instrument cluster doesn't jive with the vertical movement of the shifter. I'm tempted to order the part on EBay and install it myself.

Can anyone with a 2017/18 Titanium confirm that their letters don't light up?
Go to settings in Sync 3 and turn on your accent lighting if it's not on. It may be illuminated by the RGB system LED's and if you have them off you'll get no light. Good brightness from the "Ice Blue" that matches the general dash lighting fairly well.

That's a guess. I'm too lazy at the moment to go look at my car, lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Accent lighting is on. Attaching a pic of the trim with the lighting portion circled. That whole LED strip isn't there. Unfortunately my fully loaded Titanium didn't come with it to light up the letters. I'm trying to determine if it should have come with it. Dealership is giving me the run around about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a 2018 Titanium 2.0 Eco AWD (see signature for details) and the floor shifter letters (P RNDS) do not light up when the headlights are on. The parking break right by it does. Everything else in the cabin has the same light blue illumination. So I brought it in to be looked at and the service technician stated that the car is not stock with floor shifter lighting and that my vehicle wasn't equipped with it. He is right, it wasn't equipped with it. The strip and LED that should be there was not present. Can anyone tell me if it should be there? I was told that it isn't suppose to be there. Thanks in advance!
Took a picture of my 2017 Titanium for You. The shifter lights are on all the time as soon as I start the Escape. I turned on Ambient Lighting and turned it off. The shifter lights come on either way as soon as the Escape is started.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Wow, a picture speak a thousand words. What the heck are we talking about here? Is it this? Mine have a pretty light blue glow.
Yup. I was thrown off a bit by the word "floor" before the word shifter.

Accent lighting is on. Attaching a pic of the trim with the lighting portion circled. That whole LED strip isn't there. Unfortunately my fully loaded Titanium didn't come with it to light up the letters. I'm trying to determine if it should have come with it. Dealership is giving me the run around about it.
I'm pretty sure mine lights up, either all of the time or when the headlights are on.

I would ask another tech at the dealer, if not, go to another dealer if here is one nearby. Last suggestion would be to go to the dealer and ask to look at 2018 Ford Escapes and see if another one with the same trim as yours lights up. If it does, go to the service area with that info. Some of these service techs are clueless when it comes to just general info on the FE that does not involve the engine.

Sure, you can look at the dash instead of the shifter area but it's the principle...and it looks nicer when it's lit up :)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Took a picture of my 2017 Titanium for You. The shifter lights are on all the time as soon as I start the Escape. I turned on Ambient Lighting and turned it off. The shifter lights come on either way as soon as the Escape is started.
Same on my '17 SE, (no ambient lighting as the Titanium models) ,the alphanumerics on the shifter are lit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like you got bit by the Ford de-contenting bug. It is not generally a good sign that they are de-contenting FEs. They tend to start doing this on models they are thinking hard about killing. I use the 96-99 SHO as an example; the 99 had barely anything left in it. It was a sad little car.

There is of course another possibility in that they are trying to add more features but keep costs down, and that would be a far more pleasant thought, but 15+ years of experience with Ford decision-making has not imbued me with any sort of confidence.

Reactions: John14Silver

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi Everyone,

When the tech said it wasn't "stock", did he mean you can add it as an option? Looking at your signature and after doing a quick looksy at the options on the Ford website, it looks like you pretty much have almost everything extra you can add. Also, I don't think this is something that is promoted as a feature (seeing as it is a basic feature in all cars, if not mandatory for safety reasons), so I don't think you'd find this on the window sticker or on their website as included.

Chances are there was a slight hiccup on the production line and they forgot to attach the lights to it. In my opinion, I think the best thing to do would be to go to the dealer and get inside the floor model (I'm sure they have the Titanium on the floor) and try turning on the lights to see if it lights up on that one.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nope, Use the PRNDS(123456) on your instrument cluster. No need to look at the shift lever...
No lights on my 2014 SE shift lever either, must be a TI thing. This is what my wife tells me every time I complain about this, but sometimes it seems to be between R, N, and D, and the only way to know exactly what position it's in is to look at the instrument cluster. In the dark this is the only way to know. Cheapa** Ford.

·
Super Moderator
2,335 Posts
Escap33 have you got the plug for the light sitting there somewhere? If you have, it will be an easy add on.

I'd go find another new Titanium and check if it has the light, it seems like a basic requirement to me that shouldn't be excluded on any trim level.

(PS: Don't expect the light to change and indicate which "gear" you've selected. You need to look at the instrument display to see the selected "gear"- which took me a while to get used to.)

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Exactly, I was mistaken in thinking that the op was asking about the 'selected gear'...

·
Super Moderator
2,335 Posts
I thought I'd add that on- it would be very disappointing to go to the trouble of fixing it only to discover it doesn't indicate what gear you're in anyway!

·
Registered
244 Posts
No lights on my 2014 SE shift lever either, must be a TI thing.
My 2014 SE has this light. But with that said, it is completely useless since it doesn't indicate the selected gear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for the replies. To answer a few questions:

The tech and everyone at the service department only stated that it didn't come with it. No one could or would say whether or not it should have it. It was suggested that I may not have a trim level that has the light.

I haven't been able to look to see if there is even a plug for the LED strip. Fingerprints on the assembly appear to suggest that the tech removed it and validated that the strip wasn't present. If anyone knows how to remove the plastic bezel without scratching or breaking it I would be very grateful for the assistance. I will try the normal googling myself.

I did follow up with my salesperson yesterday and they left me a message late in the evening. I'm checking in with them today and possibly making another trip to the dealership to look at other Escapes to see if their letters light up. I will let everyone know the outcome.

Thanks again!

Reactions: dannyg

·
Registered
20 Posts
My 2017 Titanium does not have an illuminated shifter. And, strangely enough, the sales guy specifically mentioned it when I picked up my vehicle. I found it weird at the time, but maybe they had complaints from customers who were expecting one?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts