2013+ Ford Escape Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, the Escape was fine after a 300 mile trip with zero issues cropping up. After getting home, had to run back to the store and it all was fine. Next morning I go to leave (about 9 hours later) and this is what happens. Checked battery, battery cables, grounds, mega fuse and all other fuses. Everything checks out fine.
ECACB6A5-C50E-4014-8A98-F27A10A28F39.jpeg
Cannot connect through the OBD port, says operation error.

·
Registered
227 Posts
How old is the battery? Do other systems work, radio wipers, etc? I see you have the battery out. Has it been load tested? this can be done at most places that carry automotive batteries, should be no cost. They can die suddenly rather than just fade away like a flashlight battery.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
You've got a bit of corrosion around, perhaps carefully check over the negative battery clamp/ terminal where the BMS sensor is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything is working as it should but I noticed today that the temp says -40° as well. As soon as you push the start button, those errors come on, without even pushing the brake pedal. Checked everything for corrosion and all looks good and intact. Cleaned up the terminals and put everything back together, no change. The thing I find strange is the OBD port is not working as well. I’m worried about taking it to the dealer because of them just throwing parts at it. I saw a post where one guy had the exact same symptoms but he never updated with a resolution :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked all fuses, had the battery tested, reset everything and still no go. Having it towed to the dealer today.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Checked all fuses, had the battery tested, reset everything and still no go. Having it towed to the dealer today.
You never did tell us how old the the car is, how old the battery is and other pertinent information needed to give you good opinions. Let us know how your trip to the dealer works out. In any event, providing the information requested helps both us and you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s a 2013 and battery was dealer installed about 6 months ago with an update. It’s been serviced with all recommended intervals and preventative stuff down to changing the rear diff fluid which was a royal PIA. Only things “repair” wise was the purge valve about two weeks before this. Within the last 3 months I’ve had wheel bearings, lower front control arms and rear upper control arms replaced. “Running” wise it’s been very reliable and I don’t have a lot of the issues others have. Typical 2/3 slow/rough shift which got worse after the last update. This just falls at a bad time because my mother in law passed away and that’s been a huge expense with traveling back and forth 2 hours away. Funeral tomorrow and hopefully good news from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
It’s a 2013 and battery was dealer installed about 6 months ago with an update. It’s been serviced with all recommended intervals and preventative stuff down to changing the rear diff fluid which was a royal PIA. Only things “repair” wise was the purge valve about two weeks before this. Within the last 3 months I’ve had wheel bearings, lower front control arms and rear upper control arms replaced. “Running” wise it’s been very reliable and I don’t have a lot of the issues others have. Typical 2/3 slow/rough shift which got worse after the last update. This just falls at a bad time because my mother in law passed away and that’s been a huge expense with traveling back and forth 2 hours away. Funeral tomorrow and hopefully good news from the dealer.
Thanks. That additional information you provided suggest that the dealer may be the best place. Sorry about the death in the family. At this point big concern is the intermittent nature of the problem. Best to have a log. Are you sure dealer reset BMS? The reason I ask, is that several years ago I had to explain what that was to the dealer the help of some other members of this site. Let us know how this comes out. Finally, as you no doubt already read, failure to reset the BMS can lead to some funny electronic things happening.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They just called.. it needs a PCM Relay. I was onto something and could kick myself for not replacing that which I was going to but at least it’s a fairly inexpensive repair compared to what I was fearing! There is the outcome from the issues I was having.. hopefully it can help someone else.

·
Super Moderator
1,955 Posts
it needs a PCM Relay
I assume that's a relay in the engine bay that supplies power to the PCM? At least an easy fix that hopefully won't cost you much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. It was supposed to be done today but they called around 3pm and said the wrong relay was sent. The correct one will be sent tomorrow and I can pick it up. Fingers crossed lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts